Log inRegister an accountBrowse CSDbHelp & documentationFacts & StatisticsThe forumsAvailable RSS-feeds on CSDbSupport CSDb Commodore 64 Scene Database
You are not logged in - nap
CSDb User Forums

Forums > C64 Composing > SID composing aid - software/hardware oscilloscopes
2011-01-15 11:22
Digger

SID composing aid - software/hardware oscilloscopes

As I am trying to come back to composing for SID I am looking for software/hardware solutions to view soundwaves (as SIDPlay for Mac does) during composing (in GT2).

Mainly because I am a visual person and seeing the sound (is believing) helps me i.e. to control pulse width etc.

I found WaveWindow for Mac which kind of does the job (you need to "wire" the output by using another [free] app – SoundFlower).

Do you know any hardware solutions that would take the output and convert it to video signal to be viewed on a standard monitor? Or other software (and preferably free) oscilloscopes (Mac/PC)?

2011-01-15 12:45
Linus

I´d rather get a decent pair of nearfields in a decent room and trust my ears, seriously.

Anyway, it might be worth thinking about routing your sound output into something like renoise paired with a signal analyzer.

Still, I think it´s rather unneccessary when doing sid stuff.
2011-01-15 16:18
Digger

Cheers Sascha! Seeing the waveform helps me to tweak the instruments – sometimes you can hear when the pulse width gets too narrow and "kills" the sound. I didn't really understand how that happened before until I saw it. Plus, I've used FT2 for number of years, got used to see my waves ;-) I found some analyser AU/VSTs for Renoise but I think it's too much.
2011-01-15 20:12
wacek

Active nearfield monitors - one good solution.

Pair of decent headphones, like AKG K240 Studio - another one.

Have you considered a spectrum analyser? For me that was always very helpful, and you can hunt down a real deal on used hardware spectrum analyser on allegro...

2011-01-16 11:11
Linus

If you´re going for headphones I´d like to throw in two of my favs:

AKG K-271 MKII
SHURE SRH 840

Regarding monitors: If you´re on a budget and want a somewhat honest responds I´d recommend getting the older Adam A7.
2011-01-16 14:55
Hate Bush

i feel like speaking today, apologies in advance.
first off, there is no such thing as audio monitoring holy grail. there are no perfectly flat monitors, be it speakers or headphones. every setup should be adapted to operator's expectations, habits and skills. in addition, speakers tend to behave differently in different acoustic spaces, e.g. rooms (to be accurate: not speakers themselves - i'm talking about the response you'll get). not to mention that types of d/a converters and preamps (in case of passives) also play a significant role.
that said: if you know your setup inside out - what goes through and what not, what goes cut and what goes boost, and which harmonics will be resonant, and to what extent, in a given room - you can start working. almost regardless of your setup's price and characteristics. really. of course, the more different monitors at your disposal (and knowledge), the better. mixing is moderating. if the mix sounds fantastic on $6000 lipinskis and shit on a $6 boombox - time to change your profession. if it sounds roughly acceptable on both, and also on your car audio, ns-10, dt-150 etc. - congratulations. i've never achieved that o_O
so, if you need _really precise_ monitoring badly, you'll be better off with an oscilloscope or spectrum analyzer of sorts. unless you are in possession of large money, or have worked with your speakers/headphones for, literally, years and you're able to draw their real response diagram from memory.
i would route the signal to any host application capable of running waves paz (or similar) and see what's going on in there.
2011-01-16 16:24
Linus

That´s exactly why I said "decent room" earlier :) Fully agree with anything Randall said, but I know it can be hard getting started without any reference point. I spent roughly 1500 Euros just to treat the accoustics in my room, been measuring a lot and tested quite a bit of monitors. The ones that translated best are the ones I mentioned earlier, but yeah ... of course it depends on your taste and experience. There are people out there still using NS10s with great success - I hate them, deeply so.
2011-01-16 20:59
Digger

Guys, I am talking about SID composing not composing and producing the music in general ;-) Don't get too carried away! Haha

Again, let me stress this – the last time I've composed a tune on C64 was around '97 – I haven't much idea about creating my own instruments back then as there was nobody to ask. Experimenting was cool, but kind of walking in the darkness.

So, I am learning this stuff from the ground up now just for fun – and seeing the waveforms generated by SID is magical, it just helps me understand how the pulse width and filtering works etc. If you use SIDPlayer for Mac, there's an excellent oscilloscope built-in. Check this out.

@linus, @wackee – thx for recommendations
@randall - totally agree, well produced tune should sound cool even on the most crappy radio (aka PC speaker) ;-)

peace.
2011-01-16 21:18
wacek

Randall, I made some mental short cuts ;)
Lots of valid points in your post, yet - it's still better to learn driving in a new volvo s60 than old ikarus bus :)
2011-01-16 23:51
Hate Bush

i'd rather see it the other way around. ikarus driver will have no problem with volvo s60 (and this time i know what i'm saying), while the opposite may not work out well :)
2011-01-17 04:58
NecroPolo

off-post:

Ikarus vs Volvo: Wackee, I must oppose respectfully :)

There is no match for the Ikarus when it comes to audio processing!

multiband compressor:

brickwall limiter:

the hottest phase-correct EQs around:

side-chain compressor:

stereo expander:

industry-grade dithering:

Audio gear, monitors and stuff: do not even TRY to start the topic :)

Trained ears and some experience from top to bottom of the spectrum that includes creating some wonderful production on crap gear versus producing something crap production on wonderful gear and re-consider the order of importance, some luck on bad decisions, much imagination and of course being aware all the wits &

limits of yourself and the gear you use.

And, whenever the time comes where you are completely satisfied - that's time to quit. Permanently :)

... 10 posts hidden. Click here to view all posts....

Previous - 1 | 2 - Next
RefreshSubscribe to this thread:

You need to be logged in to post in the forum.

Search the forum:
Search   for   in  
All times are CET.
Search CSDb
Advanced
Users Online
Apollyon/ALD
fidel
Alakran_64
jamespurcell
Bob/Censor Design
Guests online: 111