Log inRegister an accountBrowse CSDbHelp & documentationFacts & StatisticsThe forumsAvailable RSS-feeds on CSDbSupport CSDb Commodore 64 Scene Database
You are not logged in - nap
CSDb User Forums

Forums > C64 Composing > SID composing aid - software/hardware oscilloscopes
2011-01-15 11:22
Digger

SID composing aid - software/hardware oscilloscopes

As I am trying to come back to composing for SID I am looking for software/hardware solutions to view soundwaves (as SIDPlay for Mac does) during composing (in GT2).

Mainly because I am a visual person and seeing the sound (is believing) helps me i.e. to control pulse width etc.

I found WaveWindow for Mac which kind of does the job (you need to "wire" the output by using another [free] app – SoundFlower).

Do you know any hardware solutions that would take the output and convert it to video signal to be viewed on a standard monitor? Or other software (and preferably free) oscilloscopes (Mac/PC)?

... 10 posts hidden. Click here to view all posts....

2011-01-17 07:13
SIDWAVE
Account closed

It takes 20 seconds to realize where the limit between thin and fat pulse is.. digger, you dont need this. youre just asking for a "gimme tools that do the work for me", there is never such a thing. Do your work, and it will be good.

But i heard a little bird singing about that SDI 3 will have graphical waves to look at.. still, after doing a few tunes, you dont need it at all.

Writing words like sidechain compressor and other stuff here, is totally overkill :)
2011-01-17 07:24
SIDWAVE
Account closed

Watch this Digger:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QS6RKTlv8og

There is 11 other videos how to do this and that in SDI 2.
2011-01-17 09:23
Linus

lol @necropolo :)
2011-01-17 20:40
wacek

Necro, as usual you made my day, and as every smile makes you live few seconds longer you prolonged my autumn years significantly ;)

Of course I agree with you all that no gear does the work for you, and no linear monitors can replace talent, etc etc... But my point remains still valid: if you can start learning all that with at least decent gear, that is a great situation!

You have no fucking idea (and even 'fucking' in the sentence does not stress it enough) how much I would give for having decent nearfields and headphones back in '92 when I started with electronic music. I can only wonder how EASIER and how FASTER I would progress with production skills if I didn't have to struggle with the non-linearities of my hand-made speakers (the only ones I could afford at the time), from time to time exchanged with typically 'V' EQ'd crappy Philips headphones (same note as before). The amount of time I invested into making my mixdowns sound good enough so they travel safely from one setup to another I could easily spend on progressing in other areas! I remember how after changing those speakers into cheap Alesis M1 Active's in a few weeks I could have my mixdowns ready and decent in 1 hour instead of 2 days. Next huge leap forward in was with AKG headphones few years ago. In both cases this was not linear progression, this was substantial workflow improvements due to change of gear quality!

So, I say - if Digger can have a headstart and not go through all that 'blood sweat and tears' on some crappy setup - let him have it. Of course, he does not need some $6000 monitors, but let him start on $150 headphones, that's not so much a big hole in the pocket but how much of a different point to start...
2011-01-18 06:23
NecroPolo

@Wackee: Audio production with Ikarus prolong our life - no Volvo can do that :D

No doubt, I totally agree on that: with decent gear you can spare a lot (I do mean A LOT) of time and unnecessary dead-ends of production. I can remember the arrival of my first decent monitors (phones+speakers) ages ago and also their drastical positive effect on my mixes.

I was just saying, opening Pandora's Box of Audio Production and Gear may start an avalance-sized snowball here, posted cats and fuuuuu pics soon ;)

Okay, I stop hi-jacking the bus here. Personally I rely on ears so I'm not informed in this area. Can you guys recommend an usable waveform analyser for Digger?
2011-01-18 11:43
goto80

@digger - if you're into electronics, you can turn a CRT TV into an oscilloscope: http://www.instructables.com/id/How-To-Make-A-CRT-TV-Into-an-Os..

you can also get the atari video music: http://technabob.com/blog/2007/08/24/atari-video-music-forgotte.. ... :)

[edit] also with VGA & arduino, there's this: http://little-scale.blogspot.com/2009/04/dual-monitor-vga-hacki.. .... you can get a similar effect (in black & white) if you amplify the audio a lot and plug into the composite video input on a tv/monitor).
2011-01-18 12:53
Digger

@goto80 Thanks man! Exactly what I wanted.
2011-01-18 17:41
Linus

Oh, why didn´t you ask earlier? ;)

/me ducks and hides
2011-02-10 10:09
Hermit

In my opinion, looking at waveforms is very good for studying the principles of synthesis...
However, when production is in focus, looking at the sound would cheat the producer, one will concentrate (mainly or partly) on the lookout of waves...i'd rather listening to my ears instead, when I want to fine-tune things to sound good.

Hermit Software Hungary
2011-02-10 13:19
Digger

Good point Hermit. It's best to listen to stuff with your eyes closed :)
Previous - 1 | 2 - Next
RefreshSubscribe to this thread:

You need to be logged in to post in the forum.

Search the forum:
Search   for   in  
All times are CET.
Search CSDb
Advanced
Users Online
Higgie/Kraze/Onslaught
Exploding Fi../Techn..
Mason/Unicess
St0rmfr0nt/Quantum
Guests online: 135
Top Demos