Log inRegister an accountBrowse CSDbHelp & documentationFacts & StatisticsThe forumsAvailable RSS-feeds on CSDbSupport CSDb Commodore 64 Scene Database
 Welcome to our latest new user maak ! (Registered 2024-04-18) You are not logged in - nap
CSDb User Forums

Forums > C64 Composing > random composing technique manifesto
2013-02-26 06:43
Hate Bush

random composing technique manifesto

by yours truly. commodore 64 features heavily in track 6, but also in tracks 1 and 3. enjoy the whole thing ;) thank you.
https://soundcloud.com/nonsenseabsurd

... 3 posts hidden. Click here to view all posts....

2013-03-03 21:15
Brush

I wont be original... #5.

But also liked #2.

Is it a new project of yours? More stuff comming?
2013-03-05 20:27
wacek

Fuck yeah! Forward thinking. Progression. Ganglia exercises. We are good ;)

"Me So Unhappy" and "Social Suicide" are my favs.
Process decription or STFU ;)

Random composing is teh shit, though I do seldom go as far as you. Yet some of my best dark dnb acid basslines were done with random generator in jeskola buzz ;)
2013-03-06 21:16
Hate Bush

MANY thanks for the feedback! practically, you were the first to hear this shit :)
process description? quite simple. throughout the years of being in the studio, i had accumulated a fine number of instrumental and vocal recordings. i just cut them into small pieces (95% were single chords, single sounds and single hits only, 100% were single tracks - not mixes) and rearranged them completely.
in order to be ignorant, instinctive and unconscious - i had been picking them totally at random (fortunately, i own no perfect pitch). if they didn't fit, well, transposition and timestretching algorithms helped (or, more often, they did not).
finally, all the crossfading, equalizing, compressing, transient modulating, effect plugging, mastering and so on happened. i guess it's not that original way of working, but god was it refreshing.
number of samples used in each tune is approximately 150-200.
i'm working on some promotional stuff for the whole thing, but that is yet to come ;)
2013-03-07 08:33
wacek

I'm just sorry that remixing does not fit into the whole concept :(
2013-10-25 20:14
Hate Bush

just wanted to tell that I got my act together and it finally comes out today, on spotify/itunes/cd/etc, courtesy of draw records. have a nice weekend ;)
2013-10-25 22:21
Reggy
Account closed

Gratz on the release, Randall! Nice work!

Are you familiar with Akufen? You might like his album "My Way" (2002), which also has this crazy amount of 'micro-samples'..

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/My_Way_%28Akufen_album%29

Anyway, big up -- the promomix sounds exciting :)

And randomization is always interesting :) How exactly did you use this? Clicking on samples while blindfolded? And/or also random MIDI-notes?

(Still want to do a composition with dice some day btw... arggh, so many plans, so little time...)
2013-10-26 00:29
Rough
Account closed

SID samples won't help here, this is terrible 201x Ibiza house stuff, sorry to say.
2013-10-26 12:25
Reggy
Account closed

Quote: SID samples won't help here, this is terrible 201x Ibiza house stuff, sorry to say.

hmm, no prob if you don't like it, of course, but 'Ibiza house' was the last thing I'd expect :)

(mostly because I think that album is pretty ok, and I also hate that Ibiza-shit haha..)

checking his stuff on YT (didn't do that when I posted last night, I only know the album) made me realize why you're placing it under that tag, though.. but, f.ex.
this track was the stuff I was referring to..

Anywayzzz, no harm intended.. rock on!

Still curious about that randomness btw... ;)
2013-10-26 13:45
Cresh

From Soundcloud:

as pretentious as it is, i feel like i should provide you with a process description.
throughout the years of being in the studio, i had accumulated a fine number of instrumental and vocal recordings. what you can hear on this ep is the outcome of cutting them into very small pieces (95% were single chords, single sounds and single hits only, 100% were single tracks - not mixes) and rearranging them completely. the most important thing is that i had been picking them totally at random (fortunately, i own no perfect pitch). if they didn't fit, well, transposition and timestretching algorithms helped (or, more often, they did not). finally, all the crossfading, equalizing, compressing, transient modulating, effect plugging, mastering and so on happened.
you may ask: what's the point? the point is: throughout all that listening to and working on music, i became quite familiar with the theory and its cliches. i can't help it - the music i usually make is heavily influenced by that knowledge, the lessons and 'patents', no matter how hard i try to avoid them. but if i force myself to work exclusively on snippets of music, when the whole context is rather erased, the result may be... i don't know, at least a bit original? you're there to tell. surely it was refreshing to me, because of the randomization factor mentioned.
number of samples used in each tune is approximately 150. easy to count - if i ever release an album, it will contain well over a thousand samples.
meanwhile, enjoy the ep.
n/a
2013-10-26 16:52
Hate Bush

"My Way" by Akufen is one of my all time electronica faves! I also loved "Musique pour 3 Femmes Enceintes", released under his real name. good pick! ;)
Ibiza? puzzling association, to say the least o_O
Previous - 1 | 2 - Next
RefreshSubscribe to this thread:

You need to be logged in to post in the forum.

Search the forum:
Search   for   in  
All times are CET.
Search CSDb
Advanced
Users Online
Guests online: 115
Top Demos
1 Next Level  (9.8)
2 Mojo  (9.7)
3 Coma Light 13  (9.7)
4 Edge of Disgrace  (9.6)