Log inRegister an accountBrowse CSDbHelp & documentationFacts & StatisticsThe forumsAvailable RSS-feeds on CSDbSupport CSDb Commodore 64 Scene Database
 Welcome to our latest new user megasoftargentina ! (Registered 2024-04-16) You are not logged in - nap
CSDb User Forums

Forums > CSDb Feedback > Credits for ripped material
2002-06-10 12:20
T.M.R
Account closed

Credits for ripped material

i've been adding some very old stuff to the Db for the last few days and was wondering; if (for example) a demo uses a ripped tune, is there any way to have that flagged?

A lot of the older demos use graphics and music that were created for games or indeed other demos, crediting Rob Hubbard for the sountrack in a Meanteam demo feels sort of wrong to me without pointing out it was ripped...?

... 1 post hidden. Click here to view all posts....

2002-08-10 10:51
Seven

I think it'd be quite a nice feature to have a "ripped" flag...
problem might be, can you really tell in 100% of the cases, who ripped from whom, and is it always considered a rip, just because something showed up in another production first?

e.g. .. should all the loader-credits be flagged as a rip, since the loader wasnt really written for that particular demo?
then.. should all the Hubbard/Tel/whoever music collections be flagged as rips?

this could turn out to be quite difficult...
2002-08-10 22:13
Puterman
Account closed

A loader can either be ripped, be used because it's publically available or be used with explicit permission from its author. And it definitely wouldn't be correct to file it as "ripped" if it wasn't actually ripped from some other production.

The same goes for music players.

If you'd have to include credits for the music players, you'd also have to include credits for packers and crunchers, as they also include code by the person who wrote the packer/cruncher.

In my opinion, it would be desirable to have this kind of information (althought it would be interesting to very few), but it would be an impossible task to collect all this information, so it'd be better not to add it all.

If someone wants to add information about which tunes (and pictures) are ripped, though, that might actually be worthwhile.
2002-08-11 09:17
TDJ

Like Puterman, it's very simple: does the gain (information needed by only a few persons) qualify the costs (gathering information on such a detailed level that it may put off people - and believe me, it will)?

To be honest, I think the trend going on here, where people want to write down almost everything about a certain production, goes too far. As a professional I know that when creating a database you have too make sure you only store data that is really needed, and not just by a small portion of the users but by the majority.

Ofcourse one could also argue about the use of a scener database anyway, but I think the activity here has already proven that such a need does exist.

Going out-of-thread for a moment, I must also admit that I think some people putting information about game-companies here is absolutely bullshit :)
2013-10-12 11:30
Beastifire
Account closed

Sorry if this is the wrong thread or has been discussed before, but I thought of one thing with the page that displays an overview of a scener.

If you go to such a page of certain sceners whose work was ripped a lot by others, let's say Ratt (Antony Crowther) of W.E.M.U.S.I.C. or lots of other musicians and font graphicians, the page is a little messy and it's not at all obvious when the guy stopped working on the scene. The released productions that he took active part in and the third-party productions that ripped his work are all listed in a row. If we could somehow add information about rips (in the cases where we do have this info), this display could be made cleaner. What do other people think about this?
2013-10-12 15:55
tlr

I agree. A flag to indicate a credit is related to a usage unknown/unapproved by the author would be useful. The purpose would be to separate those credits on the authors page from those where he actively participated. Crowther is a great example and there are many others.
2013-10-12 17:38
chatGPZ

please come up with this again when perff has implemented this. i also seriously hate how credits are misused when it comes to ripped stuff - it makes pages like eg Rob Hubbard incredibly pointless, IMHO (personally, i dont care at all how many thousend demos use lightforce.sid, but i'd like to know what mr.hubbard actually made to be used in demos - which is unpossible to find out by looking at that page)
2013-10-12 18:15
tlr

... or implement this first and the cracktags after.
Seems like a much easier win to me. :)
2013-10-12 19:31
chatGPZ

i'd rather not distract him now that he actually started doing it =P (and we should put some thought into the details before aswell... eg a tune that was created by X but is credited to Y in a demo should be properly reflected in the db too, meaning a "is ripped" flag isnt enough :))
2013-10-12 19:42
tlr

Fair enough. I'd settle for less but as long as it gets implemented I'm all for it.
2013-10-12 19:59
chatGPZ

we've had enough "less" regarding the db design by now, IMHO - time to do it properly =P
Previous - 1 | 2 - Next
RefreshSubscribe to this thread:

You need to be logged in to post in the forum.

Search the forum:
Search   for   in  
All times are CET.
Search CSDb
Advanced
Users Online
acrouzet/G★P
Guests online: 131
Top Demos
1 Next Level  (9.8)
2 Mojo  (9.7)
3 Coma Light 13  (9.7)