Log inRegister an accountBrowse CSDbHelp & documentationFacts & StatisticsThe forumsAvailable RSS-feeds on CSDbSupport CSDb Commodore 64 Scene Database
You are not logged in - nap
CSDb User Forums

Forums > CSDb Feedback > new release type "c64dtv release" ?
2005-11-03 09:53
chatGPZ

new release type "c64dtv release" ?

as shown in the goof info to Space Taxi +DTV-Samplefixed ppl start adding stuff that for one reason or the other are inferior to "real" c64 releases because they were "fixed" to work with the c64dtv - make a new cathegory?
2005-11-03 10:04
Scout

Yeah, adding some new catagories would be quite nice.
Like MMC64 Fix, IDE64 Fix and C64DTV Demo.

Esspecially the last one will be an issue for 2006.
The DTV is surfacing everywhere in Europe now and I expect some productions for it really soon.

R.
---
-= Silicon Ltd. =-
http://forum.siliconlimited.com

Commodore 64 Scenemusic Podcast
http://8bitmayhem.blogspot.com/
2005-11-03 11:07
chatGPZ

maybe instead of adding a bunch of new cathegories the database could be reorganized into having main- and sub- cathegories...
2005-11-03 13:45
Ninja

I think DTV qualifies as a new "platform", so an own category for it is justified. But IDE and MMC are extensions to the c64; if they have a category, then there could be one for the AR, RR, FC3, 1581, FD2000... naaah.
2005-11-03 14:32
Nafcom

Quote: I think DTV qualifies as a new "platform", so an own category for it is justified. But IDE and MMC are extensions to the c64; if they have a category, then there could be one for the AR, RR, FC3, 1581, FD2000... naaah.

why one for multifunctional cartridges?
2005-11-03 16:48
chatGPZ

maybe making it "attributes" which are attached to every release would be a better idea.... so for all the stuff mentioned (ar,fc3,mmc64,ide64,4player adapter, reu etc blabla) there would be a checkbox in the release edit dialog.... that way you could later easily search for all mmc64 fixes, or all programs that support a reu...etc (i sometimes wish i could do that for stuff that uses the ar ram)
2005-11-03 17:10
QuasaR

I like Groepaz idea of main- and subcategories. Would be great to have the checkbox with all the REU proggies...
2005-11-03 19:12
TDJ

Quote: maybe making it "attributes" which are attached to every release would be a better idea.... so for all the stuff mentioned (ar,fc3,mmc64,ide64,4player adapter, reu etc blabla) there would be a checkbox in the release edit dialog.... that way you could later easily search for all mmc64 fixes, or all programs that support a reu...etc (i sometimes wish i could do that for stuff that uses the ar ram)

Great idea!
2005-11-03 20:38
TNT
Account closed

"MMC64 fixes" here so far have been onefiled games. Should all one-file demos, tools, cracks etc. be tagged as MMC64 & IDE64 fixed? If that's the case then I want C2N232 & Silversurfer fixed categories as well...

What I'm trying to say is that releases shouldn't be tagged as "XYZ compatible" just because they manage to work with that hardware without crashing, they should utilize it as well.
2005-11-03 20:52
Scout

Quote: "MMC64 fixes" here so far have been onefiled games. Should all one-file demos, tools, cracks etc. be tagged as MMC64 & IDE64 fixed? If that's the case then I want C2N232 & Silversurfer fixed categories as well...

What I'm trying to say is that releases shouldn't be tagged as "XYZ compatible" just because they manage to work with that hardware without crashing, they should utilize it as well.

Good point.
So to make a long story short, only a "C64DTV Demo" category would be needed.

---
-= Silicon Ltd. =-

2005-11-03 21:26
chatGPZ

Quote:

i dont agree with that. that particular version of space taxi for example has a sample-fix specially for the dtv (and it sounds worse than the original on a real c64). also a checkbox "works on mmc64" or "works on ide64" makes equal sense to me as "uses reu" or "uses ar". it doesnt *matter* if it accidently works with mmc64 because its onefiled anyway here - what matters is the additional value of having the thing tagged like this for easier searching.
2005-11-03 21:39
Nafcom

Quote: Quote:

i dont agree with that. that particular version of space taxi for example has a sample-fix specially for the dtv (and it sounds worse than the original on a real c64). also a checkbox "works on mmc64" or "works on ide64" makes equal sense to me as "uses reu" or "uses ar". it doesnt *matter* if it accidently works with mmc64 because its onefiled anyway here - what matters is the additional value of having the thing tagged like this for easier searching.

Absolutely agree here. Notice some things, though:

It's most likely to be named "CDTV Fixed" and then the quesion wether it's the PAL or the NTSC CDTV and wether the fix breaks the compatibility/quality on the real machine or not, as in example of "Space Taxi".

I do not hope that such examples will be the rule. A fix should not break something for the real hardware!

"Demo" as you suggested would mean for me a demo that only runs on the DTV (which sounds bad to me again).
2005-11-03 21:53
Moloch

Just a little nitpick here... but DTV != CDTV.

It appears the best suggestions have come from Gropey.
2005-11-03 23:12
Steppe

Yeah, fully agree with Groepaz' suggestions, very good idea!
2005-11-04 04:04
chatGPZ

Quote:

It's most likely to be named "CDTV Fixed" and then the quesion wether it's the PAL or the NTSC CDTV and wether the fix breaks the compatibility/quality on the real machine or not, as in example of "Space Taxi".

it could be made like this

mmc64 []supported []required []fixed []breaks

- supported means additional features are utilized
- required means the device is required for the program to work at all
- fixed indicates that the release was explicitly fixed to work with the device
- breaks indicated that the release does not/no more work (perfectly, or at all) with this device

so for that spaceinvaders release

stock c64 [x]supported []required []fixed [x]breaks
c64dtv [x]supported []required [x]fixed []breaks
pal [x]supported []required []fixed []breaks
ntsc [x]supported []required []fixed []breaks

...you get the idea (someone else might have a better system anyway :=P)

Quote:

I do not hope that such examples will be the rule. A fix should not break something for the real hardware!

"Demo" as you suggested would mean for me a demo that only runs on the DTV (which sounds bad to me again).

it will happen i am sure. the c64dtv is a completely new platform (to me atleast) that just happens to be somewhat c64 compatible. plays pretty much in the same area as the scpu - just that soon a lot more ppl will have a c64 than there are scpu owners :)

2005-11-04 11:08
Nafcom

it could be made like this

mmc64 []supported []required []fixed []breaks

- supported means additional features are utilized
- required means the device is required for the program to work at all
- fixed indicates that the release was explicitly fixed to work with the device
- breaks indicated that the release does not/no more work (perfectly, or at all) with this device

so for that spaceinvaders release

stock c64 [x]supported []required []fixed [x]breaks
c64dtv [x]supported []required [x]fixed []breaks
pal [x]supported []required []fixed []breaks
ntsc [x]supported []required []fixed []breaks

...you get the idea (someone else might have a better system anyway :=P)

Quote:

it will happen i am sure. the c64dtv is a completely new platform (to me atleast) that just happens to be somewhat c64 compatible. plays pretty much in the same area as the scpu - just that soon a lot more ppl will have a c64 than there are scpu owners :)

Your idea of making the releases is very good! Thanks for the suggestion and the care.

The difference is, you can just buy a super CPU and plug it in, a DTV you have to modify first to get it to the way it works the way required. OK, there are people and so who offer the modification, but question is for how long, and I admit, I am not a technical and soldering freak to make hardware modifications, hehe.

Other than that, it's possible in my eyes, to keep the release in a way it still works as normal on an original stock C64, just include both routines or whatever in the release and let users choose from it. I have seen game cracks allowing to run on NTSC and PAL this way.
2005-11-04 11:33
Scout

Quote:
Other than that, it's possible in my eyes, to keep the release in a way it still works as normal on an original stock C64, just include both routines or whatever in the release and let users choose from it.

That's easier said than done; the DTV has a 8 bits per plane mode and the possibility to change the color palette.
So some effects/demo's won't run on a stock C64 in the near future.
This said, the PAL (V2) DTV has the 8bpp mode and the NTSC version doesn't.

Geez...

R.
---
-= Silicon Ltd. =-

2005-11-04 11:37
Nafcom

Other than that, it's possible in my eyes, to keep the release in a way it still works as normal on an original stock C64, just include both routines or whatever in the release and let users choose from it.

That's easier said than done; the DTV has a 8 bits per plane mode and the possibility to change the color palette.
So some effects/demo's won't run on a stock C64 in the near future.
This said, the PAL (V2) DTV has the 8bpp mode and the NTSC version doesn't.

Geez...

R.
---
-= Silicon Ltd. =-

So explain a bit what this is about please?:
The King Is Back

It scares me, I really prefer a real C64 and I hope most of the C64 sceners still will!
2005-11-04 11:46
Scout

Quote: So explain a bit what this is about please?:
The King Is Back

It scares me, I really prefer a real C64 and I hope most of the C64 sceners still will!

I haven't got a modded DTV yet, so I trust on other ppl observations; you see some moving rasterbars which use a modified palette. Don't know what's up with the pic but I guess it has something to do with the modded palette too.

It was coded by a German guy called Roland (no, not this Roland (me) because I'm dutch ;-) and got it from a german forum.
Don't know if "Roland" should be added to CSDB as a scener. I could send him a mail tho.

R.
---
-= Silicon Ltd. =-

2005-11-04 12:11
TDJ

So, is it a Crest demo by Xbow or not?
2005-11-04 12:11
Nafcom

Quote: I haven't got a modded DTV yet, so I trust on other ppl observations; you see some moving rasterbars which use a modified palette. Don't know what's up with the pic but I guess it has something to do with the modded palette too.

It was coded by a German guy called Roland (no, not this Roland (me) because I'm dutch ;-) and got it from a german forum.
Don't know if "Roland" should be added to CSDB as a scener. I could send him a mail tho.

R.
---
-= Silicon Ltd. =-

Thanks!
Well, he should be added as a scener then, since he did scenish activities this way. please ask him also for a screenshot and adding him to CSDb, etc :)

New C64 sceners are always welcome, too ;)
2005-11-04 12:14
tlr

Quote: I haven't got a modded DTV yet, so I trust on other ppl observations; you see some moving rasterbars which use a modified palette. Don't know what's up with the pic but I guess it has something to do with the modded palette too.

R.
---
-= Silicon Ltd. =-

It's Crossbow/Crest, so he's already in the database. Maybe you should have examined it a bit more thoroughly? ;)

I corrected the credits and added a trivia with the text found in the demo.
2005-11-04 12:20
Nafcom

Quote: It's Crossbow/Crest, so he's already in the database. Maybe you should have examined it a bit more thoroughly? ;)

I hope that anybody will anyway add a screenshot :)
2005-11-04 12:24
tlr

Quote: I hope that anybody will anyway add a screenshot :)

It looks like crap in VICE, is there an emulator for C64DTV stuff?
If not could anyone with a C64DTV take a photo of the demo, please?
:)
2005-11-04 13:12
T.M.R
Account closed

There's no emulator yet, chances are there won't be in the immediate future too because the DTV is quite a complex likkle beast and, from what i understand, when it's in "fast" mode with some features disabled it goes a metric fuckload faster than a stock C64. Because of that VICE with it's hard-wired CPU speed can't touch it in the same way VICE still can't do C128 or 264 emulation correctly 'cos the speed is shot when the hardware goes to 2MHz or is running in fast mode respectively.

And it just *had* to bloody be Xbow doing the first demo didn't it? Couldn't let us mere mortals have a go before he made us look silly, ooooh no... [comedy muttering, still haven't got a modded DTV yet!]

Oh... as for the comments about it not being a real C64, neither is a C128 but we have Risen From Oblivion in the Db so if that gets an entry...
2005-11-04 14:18
tlr

@T.M.R: Atleast you can buy one! It seems like Argos U.K is the only one that has the PAL V2 in stock, and they won't sell to me as I want it delivered to Sweden. (UK mainland delivery only.) :(
2005-11-04 15:07
Shake

Is there a PAL V1 btw? no idea what i bought then :]Yesterday at Praxis in Holland (some big shop with garden stuff, wood, metal, bricks etc). that shop has storded plenty of them..

http://www.praxis.nl/upload/8ee0160107313b7f57015ad6.jpg

the company logo on the stick differs from this photo, it was something like lobsterware (something like that)
2005-11-04 15:11
T.M.R
Account closed

All PAL units are V2, i think i paid only marginally less for my unmooded PAL than they're doing modded ones (unless the postage is horrific...!)

Easy way to spot a V2; the Games series are multi loads rather than broken into seperate events.
2005-11-04 15:42
Scout

Quote: It's Crossbow/Crest, so he's already in the database. Maybe you should have examined it a bit more thoroughly? ;)

*lol*

No, i didn't peek in the memory at all.
Cool that this has been cleared up.

@Shake: I bought my 2 DTV's at the Praxis the day before yesterday.
They have *a lot* in stock!
Btw, the pic used in the advert is a NTSC DTV.

R.
---
-= Silicon Ltd. =-

2005-11-04 15:47
tlr

Aaargh! :P I really want one of those! I which I was Dutch! (or atleast in the Netherlands...) Does anybody know a place a webshop (or a place in Stockholm) that has them in stock and will ship to Sweden?
2005-11-04 16:01
Tch
Account closed

Why not ask Scout?

Maybe if you do it real nice,he gets you one and sends it to you.. ;)
2005-11-04 20:11
TDJ

I just bought one @ the Praxis as well, although the sales-woman told me that tomorrow it was the last day they were sold. Only six left here (five now) ;)

Guess I gotta make a call to Jayce/Focus, our hardware-guru :)
2005-11-04 23:21
Moloch

Well... to be correct here, this isn't the first demo done on C64DTV. It might be the first publicly released demo, but not the first demo. The first "real demo" was/is done by Style (US group) - same guys that make Turbo Assembler mod for DTV. I'm also not counting the little test demos that Six/Style released back when DTV was first released.

2005-11-04 23:23
Nafcom

Quote: Well... to be correct here, this isn't the first demo done on C64DTV. It might be the first publicly released demo, but not the first demo. The first "real demo" was/is done by Style (US group) - same guys that make Turbo Assembler mod for DTV. I'm also not counting the little test demos that Six/Style released back when DTV was first released.

Please upload them to CSDb and if they are already in CSDb, post the links here. Thanks in advance! :)
2005-11-04 23:35
Moloch

Majority of them are available for down directly from http://dtvhacking.info

...and everyone should be aware these are little test projects mainly.
2005-11-05 14:12
DeeKay

Hey, i just uploaded a proper Screenshot of "The King is back" and added DTV in brackets to the title so people don't try running it on their real c64s...
2005-11-05 14:19
Nafcom

Quote: Hey, i just uploaded a proper Screenshot of "The King is back" and added DTV in brackets to the title so people don't try running it on their real c64s...

Thanks! :)
Now I wish somebody would do the same with Moloch's mentioned DTV releases so that CSDb gets more complete
2005-11-05 14:48
DeeKay

Done. -> Cblast

Don't have any screenshots from these other DTV-demos here though: http://orrville.net/dtvhacking/demos.zip
2005-11-05 14:49
Nafcom

Quote: Done. -> Cblast

Don't have any screenshots from these other DTV-demos here though: http://orrville.net/dtvhacking/demos.zip

Thanks, I just saw that =) Do you think adding the others with screenshot still is possible?
Because I wonder how NTSC demos for DTV work on PAL DTV or whatever you have there.
2005-11-05 22:20
Moloch

I've added a few more...

Palette
Palette
(screenshot in archive - my image compression kungfu sucks)

Color Bars
Color Bars

Linear Scroll
Linear Scroll
2005-11-06 17:56
Nafcom

Quote: I've added a few more...

Palette
Palette
(screenshot in archive - my image compression kungfu sucks)

Color Bars
Color Bars

Linear Scroll
Linear Scroll

Thanks!

I have converted it to .gif. It looks very close to the original .PNG. :)
2005-11-07 14:32
Perff
Administrator

I guess it's about time I write something here in the thread.

If people want an extra release type "c64dtv" I can do that for you right away. But then there should also be a lot of other types perhaps, as it have been mentioned.

In stead the right way to go would be to make subtypes or checkboxes as has also been sugested here.
Internally in CSDb similar things have also been discussed, the way releases are categorised.
The main conclusion was that the basic database-design for this was way to naive, and it would take a lot of db-hacking to make it work correctly. That is not nice, and not easy to do, so it have been kinda dropped. :(

But there have been some new discussions about CSDb V2 here recently, so if that ever happens, it would for sure be one of the things that should be implemented. :)

So the simple question that remains: Do you want a c64dtv release-type and have what may follow, or not?
No checkboxes and subtypes etc. for the moment.
(There is always the trivia and production notes etc. to write stuff in. ;) )
2005-11-07 15:03
tlr

Quote: I guess it's about time I write something here in the thread.

If people want an extra release type "c64dtv" I can do that for you right away. But then there should also be a lot of other types perhaps, as it have been mentioned.

In stead the right way to go would be to make subtypes or checkboxes as has also been sugested here.
Internally in CSDb similar things have also been discussed, the way releases are categorised.
The main conclusion was that the basic database-design for this was way to naive, and it would take a lot of db-hacking to make it work correctly. That is not nice, and not easy to do, so it have been kinda dropped. :(

But there have been some new discussions about CSDb V2 here recently, so if that ever happens, it would for sure be one of the things that should be implemented. :)

So the simple question that remains: Do you want a c64dtv release-type and have what may follow, or not?
No checkboxes and subtypes etc. for the moment.
(There is always the trivia and production notes etc. to write stuff in. ;) )

As there already are a couple of C64DTV releases added as C64 Misc, it's probably best to give in and create a type for it ;).

There will be even more confusion soon when C64DTV V2 productions start to appear, but I guess will discuss that when it happens...
2005-11-07 15:05
Nafcom

Quote: As there already are a couple of C64DTV releases added as C64 Misc, it's probably best to give in and create a type for it ;).

There will be even more confusion soon when C64DTV V2 productions start to appear, but I guess will discuss that when it happens...

all PAL DTVs are version 2. NTSC DTVs version 2 will start soon then one will have version 1 and 2 for NTSC but only for NTSC. That's how far I know it.
2005-11-07 15:10
tlr

Quote: all PAL DTVs are version 2. NTSC DTVs version 2 will start soon then one will have version 1 and 2 for NTSC but only for NTSC. That's how far I know it.

That's how I understand it is aswell. The prods added so far are all C64DTV V1 (NTSC) releases.
2005-11-07 15:19
Nafcom

Quote: That's how I understand it is aswell. The prods added so far are all C64DTV V1 (NTSC) releases.

hmm, so it should not possible to flag a PAL version 1 release, I just forgot that sentence in my post, haha - sorry, without this sentence it just is a rephrase of what you actually said, my bad
2005-11-07 20:15
Moloch

NTSC DTV2 is already out but under the disguise of a game unit called "GM Hummer Steering Wheel Game". Basically DTV2 hardware with a steering wheel and a custom game coded by Macbeth, dW, and Six. This unit was sold nationwide in Radio Shack stores.

DTV2 is NTSC/PAL unit of course, has a built in switch. Of course the output is black/white.
2005-11-07 21:39
Tch
Account closed

If this DTV thing is going to be like..
Version ad infinitum,I don´t give a freeballzz..

The beauty of C64 was that everything worked on it.
(The SID may cause problems and Pal/NTSC is an issue,
but IT WORKED!)
I hope the DTV will be able to settle on ONE standard. ;)
2005-11-07 21:57
Nafcom

Quote: If this DTV thing is going to be like..
Version ad infinitum,I don´t give a freeballzz..

The beauty of C64 was that everything worked on it.
(The SID may cause problems and Pal/NTSC is an issue,
but IT WORKED!)
I hope the DTV will be able to settle on ONE standard. ;)

A lot of stuff needed patching or either crashing. So a new thing - DTV 1/2 PAL/NTSC fixing scene could appear again like in the good old N`TSC/PAL time for games
RefreshSubscribe to this thread:

You need to be logged in to post in the forum.

Search the forum:
Search   for   in  
All times are CET.
Search CSDb
Advanced
Users Online
Apollyon/ALD
El Jefe/Slackers^sidD
Board Rider/Commodor..
Shake/Role
void256
Didi/Laxity