Log inRegister an accountBrowse CSDbHelp & documentationFacts & StatisticsThe forumsAvailable RSS-feeds on CSDbSupport CSDb Commodore 64 Scene Database
You are not logged in - nap
CSDb User Forums

Forums > CSDb Feedback > Goind the easy way and making group webpages obsolete
2002-02-24 12:05
Seven

Goind the easy way and making group webpages obsolete

(crosspost, originally posted to "Locked Entries"... please reply here)

CyberBrain: yes, it should be priority to add as much data as possible, but again... the goal of CSDb should _not_ be to make group webpages obsolete... some people spent quite some time gathering info on their own group, building up their own webpage to preserve the things about their own particular group and make it available to public... by simply copying the data from their pages so that (quote on) the user doesn't have to browse through 1000 webpages (quote off) you not only saved yourself the trouble of digging deeper into the disk boxes and the scene, you also discourage building group webpages ... when people get all the info on CSDb anyway, why should I even bother updating my own site?

give it a thought... I still think CSDb is a good idea, but when it's all about copying from already existing sources on the web instead of preserving data that so far lies dormant on C64 disks, I might very well change my mind about how good this idea really is...
2002-02-24 14:40
Commander
Account closed

Group websites will always excists as long they have some more info which you can't find in this database : group histories, complete galleries of group-members,... etc.
So I think it is still good to add as much info as possible to this database. And if a group doesn't like to maintain its website anymore, then it is its own choice.
Some things can't be here in the database, that's why some group websites will keep on excisting.
All that "piss off"-thing is making problems about nothing!
This was such a nice idea from No Name to make this online database. If some people doesn't like this thing, then just stay away. Many people like this database, and they will add the needed info. If somebody think it is not good, then let him start his own c64 database!!

2002-02-25 08:11
Seven

..and you think creating a second database is a good idea?
no offense to the Noname guys, they in fact did a great job with this and I'm glad they're still open to suggestions to make this even better, but they're hardly the only guys in the scene who'd be capable of doing something like this... they just happen to be the guys who actually _did_ do it...

now imagine for a second, people like Cupid and me had the time to program something like this on our own (and believe me, it's really just a time factor), might team up with Jazzcat and other mag-fanatics to add data to _our_ database...

what good would that be? we'd all be copying back and forth from our respective databases, just like people right now copy from other databases...
it'd be the same work done twice, and that'd hardly make any sense, right?

I do like this database, and I actually care about it being as correct as possible, and I'm grateful for the work the Noname guys put into this...
and while I might not add as much stuff to this database as others and concentrate on things I've been involved in or know well about, I _do_ try to support this, with data and ideas for improvement...

so why can't you just see it as this? suggestions that are open to discussion...

as you might have seen, many people are with me on the idea of improved entry locking... how come?
maybe the idea wasn't that bad after all and you just didn't get the point?

again... yes, add as much as possible, but don't start copying from existing group pages, because that info already _IS_ available... it's other data that is in risk of getting lost every minute another 5 1/2 disk fails...

get to work and stop whining... please? =)
RefreshSubscribe to this thread:

You need to be logged in to post in the forum.

Search the forum:
Search   for   in  
All times are CET.
Search CSDb
Advanced
Users Online
alwyz/udi
Guests online: 133
Top Demos
1 Next Level  (9.8)
2 Mojo  (9.7)
3 Coma Light 13  (9.7)