Log inRegister an accountBrowse CSDbHelp & documentationFacts & StatisticsThe forumsAvailable RSS-feeds on CSDbSupport CSDb Commodore 64 Scene Database
 Welcome to our latest new user tubesockor ! (Registered 2024-05-12) You are not logged in - nap
CSDb User Forums

Forums > CSDb Feedback > Information should be free
2007-06-08 21:13
TDJ

Information should be free

Quoting Managing information in CSDb

2. The information regarding entries belongs to those who the information is about. A person "owns" the information about his scener-profile, and the information of his/hers releases and the groups he/she is/was member of.
3. If any person who "owns" information doesn't want the information in CSDb it is totally their rights to remove it, and should be respected. This means that if you have any doubts that the person who owns the information does not want it in CSDb, you must not add it, and also that this person have the right to delete the information at any time.

To be honest, I was never fully aware of these rules until Baracuda kept throwing them around, and I can't say anything else than that I don't agree with them at all ..

Just remember: the scene is bigger than the people that are (or were) part of it.
2007-06-08 21:21
chatGPZ

i totally agree, and i was just about to contact an admin to find out who came up with these weirdo rules.

IMHO the rules related to who has the "right" to "own" any information should be along the lines of what the law says (ie right to remove personal stuff like real name, phone, adress etc) - no more no less.

anything else pretty much opens the door to all sort of abuse and arbitrariness and effectivly prevents to practice serious "archeology".
2007-06-09 03:15
The Communist

In my eyes the csdb is like an encyclopedia and in this case all basic information should be free. If someone doesn't want personal info in then it should be ok to delete this.

Imagine the inherits of Elvis coming along and sueing all publishers of encyclopedias to erase all information of Elvis out of them. Unimaginable.
2007-06-09 05:31
Oswald

well... for what I know as a general rule of thumb a person can only own his personal information. Release date / credits etc imho are out of this scope, as with giving the credits in the release etc he made this info free willingly anyway.
2007-06-09 07:49
CreaMD

Seems like someone who wrote those pro-idividualistic rules needs to be spanked without mercy. ;-)
2007-06-09 08:41
null
Account closed

Quote: In my eyes the csdb is like an encyclopedia and in this case all basic information should be free. If someone doesn't want personal info in then it should be ok to delete this.

Imagine the inherits of Elvis coming along and sueing all publishers of encyclopedias to erase all information of Elvis out of them. Unimaginable.

Big Breadbox is watching you!

------------------------------------
Knoeki/DigitalSoundsSystem/GheyMaidInc/SwappersWithAttitude
http://hardwarehacks.untergrund.net/misc/zomgwtfbbq/
2007-06-09 09:08
Cruzer

Information wants to be free. No need for all these restrictions.
2007-06-09 10:21
cadaver

In a way I understand those rules - they're there to say that CSDB is very nicety-nicety, more so than encyclopedias etc. but due to their abuse from various petty reasons I'd say too, that information integrity has more weight, and it'd be better if those rules were changed to just include obvious private information.
2007-06-09 10:59
CreaMD

Exactly.

Integrity of information is the priority #1. That protects both "illegal" and also "legal" scene interests.

I think we will have to update the rules accordingly. Sensitive information (private address, phone, e-mail, real name) should be entered with permission, and it's holder has right to remove it. That is undisputable.

Priority #2 is to define exactly what kind of activity is unwanted here, how to identify it, and prevent it.

Ban is always the very last option. Sometimes it's possible to negotiate the improvement of problematic behaviour. Unfortunatelly there are also hopeless cases (they know who they are) who repeatedly abuse their privilege of being users of this database even after warnings. Curently only Perff can remove their rights. But in close future there is option that such persons will be banned automatically, based on moderator's voting.
2007-06-09 13:05
wreg
Account closed

ownage should be restricted to sensitive data (that only includes personal data to me)
but could be extended to fake-nicks as well
all other information that is reachable pretty easy should be left here, no matter what the 'owner' says
if he deletes this info that anyone added, he looses the maintainer status on his entries, simple as that :-)
2007-06-09 13:16
chatGPZ

Quote:
Sensitive information (private address, phone, e-mail, real name) should be entered with permission, and it's holder has right to remove it. That is undisputable.

imho entering this kind of information should be restricted to the owner. noone should be allowed to enter the real name/phone#/adress/etc of someone else - this kind of info isnt really "needed" anyway, but on the other hand could cause a lot of trouble for people.

and i still demand every account linked to his respective scener entry :)

... 62 posts hidden. Click here to view all posts....

Previous - 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 - Next
RefreshSubscribe to this thread:

You need to be logged in to post in the forum.

Search the forum:
Search   for   in  
All times are CET.
Search CSDb
Advanced
Users Online
Martinland
Flex/Artline Designs
Matt
Guests online: 94
Top Demos
1 13:37  (9.8)