Log inRegister an accountBrowse CSDbHelp & documentationFacts & StatisticsThe forumsAvailable RSS-feeds on CSDbSupport CSDb Commodore 64 Scene Database
You are not logged in - nap
CSDb User Forums

Forums > CSDb Feedback > Adding the cracker group to import/trainer version
2007-09-24 12:50
Rough
Account closed

Adding the cracker group to import/trainer version

I saw many people add the original cracking group when another group imported their release and linked their intro in front of the original release, or added additional cheats.

I say this is mostly a nono.

e.g. When a crack by Ikari is imported to Poland or New Zealand (just examples, dont want to sound discriminating) by some group, this has nothing to do with Ikari and the import of that group should not be credited to Ikari and the import should not pop up in Ikari's release list. Better add information about importing or additional cheats into the comments of the import release (including a link to the original release)

In newer cases with official imports to the US boards, these imports were mostly in direct trade between both groups, often there's just a release with both the cracker and the importer/fixer intro, in this case it's obvious to credit both groups, also if there is a cracker only release besides the one with the import intro, I think the original cracking group should be credited, cos these imports have been approved.

It's difficult with old imports, e.g. from FBR etc. I really dont know if these imports were exclusive and approved trades, or if e.g. Triad just uploaded it to someone in the US and then after some weeks FBR linked their intro in front of it w/o Triad knowing it. It mostly can be checked if the US (or Canadian) group is greeted in the cracker's scroll. It's mostly safe to say the imports of well-known groups are official and those of some unknown US group are not.

When it comes to additional cheats, e.g. on Bazooka Bill trained by LDA and originally cracked by The Light Circle, the original crew should not be added as this wasnt an officially approved thing by the original group, in this case add a message+link into the comments as well.

... 4 posts hidden. Click here to view all posts....

2007-09-24 14:56
Rough
Account closed

on specifical topics like the above? nowhere.
2007-09-24 15:00
chatGPZ

maybe. we tried to keep the rules as short and simple as possible (and some even think they are too much already).

looks like we need to refine them further (especially concerning intros *grin*)
2010-01-19 07:47
The MeatBall

Re-opening this thread (and I can't find the other one that Gropeaz mentions), regarding imports.

In my opinion, an import should only be credited to the 'exporting' group once, and all imports of one particular release should be linked to the original groups single entry.

For some of the big US or EU groups have 5-6 entries for basically the same release, imported by 5-6 different groups. Take North East Crackers, listed with 326 releases, but Amazing Spider-Man+ is listed 15!!! times....

The crack should be listed 1 time for NEC, and when entering the release, it should list all the different imports done, with links to the respective releases (which should still show NEC as the originator for the release).

Does that make sense?
2010-01-19 21:33
Jon
Account closed

Sounds good, but how much restructuring would be needed on the Db? There would also be an incredible amount of work for the "curators" of the CSDb as well.

I really like the idea (and the idea of tagging releases as well) but...

Ninj
2010-01-20 16:47
Rough
Account closed

Wanted to agree with the topic starter and two seconds later I saw it was myself. 8)
2010-07-17 14:27
assiduous
Account closed

Quote: Re-opening this thread (and I can't find the other one that Gropeaz mentions), regarding imports.

In my opinion, an import should only be credited to the 'exporting' group once, and all imports of one particular release should be linked to the original groups single entry.

For some of the big US or EU groups have 5-6 entries for basically the same release, imported by 5-6 different groups. Take North East Crackers, listed with 326 releases, but Amazing Spider-Man+ is listed 15!!! times....

The crack should be listed 1 time for NEC, and when entering the release, it should list all the different imports done, with links to the respective releases (which should still show NEC as the originator for the release).

Does that make sense?

+1
2010-07-17 14:46
chatGPZ

everyone agrees on this i guess :) problem is that the database isnt prepared for it, and we are slowly reaching the limits of what can be added without redoing everything =P
2010-07-17 15:06
The Ignorance

So it's time to delete CSDB and start from scratch ? :)
2010-07-17 15:18
chatGPZ

that time has been several years ago =)
2012-03-04 01:11
bepp

+1 for this. Save it for a future version of the DB =)
Previous - 1 | 2 - Next
RefreshSubscribe to this thread:

You need to be logged in to post in the forum.

Search the forum:
Search   for   in  
All times are CET.
Search CSDb
Advanced
Users Online
Martin Piper
itsP/Nostalgia
Sentinel/Excess/TREX
Krill/Plush
Mythus/Delysid
Courage