Log inRegister an accountBrowse CSDbHelp & documentationFacts & StatisticsThe forumsAvailable RSS-feeds on CSDbSupport CSDb Commodore 64 Scene Database
You are not logged in - nap
CSDb User Forums

Forums > CSDb Feedback > SID files guidelines
2008-04-19 16:26
assiduous
Account closed

SID files guidelines

it seems that theres no guidelines atall for sid files in "CSDb help / documentation". please post your ideas on how to make it more consistent.

id like to bring up the topic of adding sid files to crack entries. the rules are quite clear with respect to the credits:

"The credits of such entries should reflect who did what modification to the original program (ie the crack, ntsc fix, trainer etc). Credits that refer to the creators of the crack intro or even the original Game should not be included."

in my opinion this rule should be expanded to cover sid files. there are 3 good reasons for this:

1.if the credits for the game/crack intro creators are not included in the entry it is the most coherent solution to leave out the sid files used in the game / crack intro it self.
2.if a game is cracked multiple times the sid file is linked to several cracks of the same game.
3.Gb64 does the job of linking sid files with respective games anyway.

opinions pls.
2008-04-20 22:22
SIDWAVE
Account closed

I understand nothing of this.

If you want to link a .sid to a release, do it.
If not, dont.
2008-04-20 22:25
chatGPZ

yeah, and let everyone define his own set of rules. fuck database integrity!

NOT
2008-04-20 22:41
assiduous
Account closed

nmioaon if you understand nothing of this then read it again.

if you prefer a mess over a well organized database then we`re in disagreement. as far as i can see your a member of the HVSC group. imagine crediting every sid file to your own liking without any guidelines. that would cause a serious disorder.

i've seen people deleting (and i confess to having followed the suit and done so myself in the past) game sid files from the crack entries and i ive seen people adding them. lets not cause some additional work to each other and try to find a consistent solution shall we ?
2008-04-21 08:38
Tim
Account closed

Well, why on earth would you want to add a sid of the game to a cracked version?

First of all it would mean adding the same credit sometimes up to 30 times.
Secondly I believe the game credits have nothing to do with the crack, not unless you want to add all production credits for graphix, coding, marketing, end production, secretary.. etc. of the producing company. (sorry I love sids, but this is not the place to single them out, there is HVSC for sids)

Same for intro credits, people sometime used the same intro over and over again. I’m sure he won’t mind, but seeing for example JCH’s credits page grow with a few thousand credits for the same tune in the same intro over and over just doesn’t sound like a good idea either.

I’ve been seeing people make a separate entry for the intro itself, here it is the most excellent place to credit the work done on the intro, clean and simple.

Yes, it’s more work, meaning we have to make intro entries and then start linking all entries to the intro’s, but I think that is a logical step forward.

Anyhow, that’s my 5 cents ;)
RefreshSubscribe to this thread:

You need to be logged in to post in the forum.

Search the forum:
Search   for   in  
All times are CET.
Search CSDb
Advanced
Users Online
Honesty/Covenant/Ons..
Alakran_64
curtcool
tlr
Guests online: 112
Top Demos