Log inRegister an accountBrowse CSDbHelp & documentationFacts & StatisticsThe forumsAvailable RSS-feeds on CSDbSupport CSDb Commodore 64 Scene Database
You are not logged in - nap
CSDb User Forums

Forums > CSDb Feedback > Separate or merged "cracks" releases.
2009-11-01 23:28
V-12

Separate or merged "cracks" releases.

I'm digging into my old tapes and transfering all datas to 5'25 discs. I'm sharing with all of missed files here but I found one problem. 20 years ago there was alot of "cracks" releases in Poland, which they've been usually just a freezed parts of one game. It was done cause of commercial reasons by some pirates who've been doing tape versions of discs games :)

Now I have question.
Take a look into those releases for example:
Indiana Jones III (3 parts of the game, every part has linked a cracktro - I've copied all parts into one .d64 image)
Thunderbirds 4
Thunderbirds
2 parts (3, 4 are missed now) - same thing. I've uploaded separately because I don't want to make chaos with missing files. Intros linked for both releases.

My question is:
Should these releases be added as separate releases like:
Indiana Jones III.1
Indiana Jones III.2
Indiana Jones III.3
or not? I really dunno what to do. Any discussion, new rule? In fact they are separate releases but they;ve been made from 1 game...

... 6 posts hidden. Click here to view all posts....

2009-11-02 16:05
chatGPZ

i wouldnt create seperate releases... doesnt make a lot of sense imho.
2009-11-02 21:25
AlexC

First of all I think that CSDB is not a database of everything ever released - now please correct me if I'm wrong. Not every crack can be and is brilliant but I don't think ActionReplay frozen games are releases really worth preserving (unless we want to preserve "cracktros" linked to them). In case of intros there is already another effort going on trying to rip and preserver every single one so there is a good place for them already too and it's not CSDB.

Just my 2 cents...
2009-11-02 23:10
Count Zero

Quote: They should be deleted and the tapes burned in a bucket with chicken's blood and vodka.

I fully agree with Fungus and AlexC here.
Though I would treat the victim transfer disks to harm no danger anymore I as well strongly discourage you from uploading frozen "cracks" at all. Even with the intromaker production slapped infront it sure just wastes the time of some people and will disgrace the polish "scene".

l8r

Count Zero/CyberpunX/SCS*TRC
2009-11-02 23:47
V-12

Quote: First of all I think that CSDB is not a database of everything ever released - now please correct me if I'm wrong. Not every crack can be and is brilliant but I don't think ActionReplay frozen games are releases really worth preserving (unless we want to preserve "cracktros" linked to them). In case of intros there is already another effort going on trying to rip and preserver every single one so there is a good place for them already too and it's not CSDB.

Just my 2 cents...

CSDB is in fact a database: a place, where you can find (almost?) all informations about scene, sceners, releases. And this is our goal to create this history here. Correct me if I'm wrong :)

I dislike the idea of ripping intros. Intros ripped from games aren't releases but only rips. It all goes to rip everything: music, scrolltext, intros. Now lemme wait for graphics ripping and code, fonts and all added separately to every release on csdb... I prefer to have full releases, even if this is lame freeze game with added cracktro (even done on demomaker). This *IS* a release.

I agree, that freezed games are lame, but it was 20 years ago and in fact this is a part of Polish lamer sceners history and we can't deny it.

And my goal is not to discuss about lame freezed games, but just to save and keep the history and also discover her.
2009-11-03 01:16
booker
Account closed

Quoting V-12
My question is:
Indiana Jones III.1
Indiana Jones III.2
Indiana Jones III.3
or not?

I would put them as one release and upload these three files. Since they were released on tape then perchaps .t64 is best.

Making it as 3 separate releases in such cases doesn't make much sense.
2009-11-03 10:28
V-12

Quote: Quoting V-12
My question is:
Indiana Jones III.1
Indiana Jones III.2
Indiana Jones III.3
or not?

I would put them as one release and upload these three files. Since they were released on tape then perchaps .t64 is best.

Making it as 3 separate releases in such cases doesn't make much sense.

Yup, already done. I will be doing same thing with other tape releases.

Thanx for feedback!
2009-11-03 12:37
AlexC

V-12 - you are welcome. Don't want to make any stupid argument but just I'd like to point out that by introducing new cracks release standards CSDB clear became selective database. As for ripping intros I was referring to http://intros.c64.org/ project - sometimes it is not possible to find separate intro and the only way to put into database is to rip it (just like sids!). It has nothing to do with ripping out gfx or code to use in own releases.
2009-11-03 13:19
chatGPZ

Quote:
but just I'd like to point out that by introducing new cracks release standards CSDB clear became selective database

yes and no - said "standards" do NOT apply to ancient stuff at all (they only apply to cracks which are released after those new rules have been established). older stuff generally belongs into the database if it has a relation to the scene (and that often includes lame releases like the ones discussed here).
2009-11-03 15:20
AlexC

Quote: Quote:
but just I'd like to point out that by introducing new cracks release standards CSDB clear became selective database

yes and no - said "standards" do NOT apply to ancient stuff at all (they only apply to cracks which are released after those new rules have been established). older stuff generally belongs into the database if it has a relation to the scene (and that often includes lame releases like the ones discussed here).

If so, than I admit I was wrong ;)
Previous - 1 | 2 - Next
RefreshSubscribe to this thread:

You need to be logged in to post in the forum.

Search the forum:
Search   for   in  
All times are CET.
Search CSDb
Advanced
Users Online
rambo/Therapy/ Resou..
Krill/Plush
Impetigo/Crescent
Acidchild/Padua
zscs
Mibri/ATL^MSL^PRX