Log inRegister an accountBrowse CSDbHelp & documentationFacts & StatisticsThe forumsAvailable RSS-feeds on CSDbSupport CSDb Commodore 64 Scene Database
You are not logged in - nap
CSDb User Forums

Forums > CSDb Feedback > Trusted people to do CSDb Development
2010-10-14 19:35
Oswald

Trusted people to do CSDb Development

There have been many feature requests and zero response and changes. Why is CSDb so hostile with the users and why cant someone take over Perff's job and do some development from time to time ? Whats happening behind the scenes ?

... 13 posts hidden. Click here to view all posts....

2010-10-16 00:46
SIDWAVE
Account closed

"If you build it, they will come.."
2010-10-16 07:43
JackAsser

Then there's the thing with integrity, censored statements and what not, available in the database only to Perff... I was once thinking thay maybe a public raw read only access of the whole db would perhaps spawn a CSDb 2 but I think it's naive nowadays...
2010-10-16 08:03
Oswald

I'm not talking of CSDb v2, but maybe it would be nice to have some of these implemented:

- comments, summaries, goofs, etc all on one page
- email on pm
- pm preview
- etc.
2010-10-16 08:48
Mace

We could also approach CSDb the way we do the C64: get as much as possible out of it without changing it.
2010-10-16 10:04
Oswald

or we could just lie down and wait for death.
2010-10-16 11:18
SIDWAVE
Account closed

Quote: We could also approach CSDb the way we do the C64: get as much as possible out of it without changing it.

Says a man who codes demos for c64 in an emu with a cross assembler, and has a retro replay cartridge and other fancy modern hardware for the c64..

(not specifically you mace, but could be anybody)

It comes by itself, one day people will be so tired of the old systems, that they will make new ones..
2010-10-16 11:20
JCB
Account closed

It kind of all depends on how the current stuff is coded. I'd hate to offer to help only to be thrown into a big bowl of spaghetti ;)

eg changing what's displayed as default on a release's page "should" be really easy, as should email on PM..

2010-10-16 12:56
Sixx

Trusted people and CSDB can't be combined in the same sentence.
2010-12-20 13:17
bepp

Hey guys...

CSDB may not have the most modern interface, but it sure *knows* a lot. There's just so much data in it. There is also much functionality, both things that we can see and things that happen "under the hood".

I'm sure many of us can join in on the frustration sometimes felt by the responsiveness, lack of certain functions etc. Being a web developer myself, I have thought many times "Aw, that's so easy to fix". But the more and more I explore this site, the more I realize it's not just a simple web app that can be "fixed easily". CSDB is actually a pretty complex app. Adding to that, it is also stable. It works. Perhaps not the way some of us want it to work, but it works. It gets the job done. It takes care of storing and retrieveing our data.

I realize the complexity in doing changes to this site, whatever small change may be - unless there is a proper testing environment (and even then, it is hard..) Small changes may be easier to test of course, but larger changes will require a *lot* of regression testing (which is when you test all the *existing* functions). Who knows what other functionality will be affected if we add feature X to page Y? As Conjuror said, there's no specification, so it's not possible to perform solid regression testing.

I'm just saying I fully understand the hesitation to "fix" things on CSDB, unless something is broken. Whether it is lack of time or lack of whatever. It just isn't easy :)

Having that said, I think it is bad if the evolution of the site would stop for whatever reasons. There are so much more to do, so many great ideas. We have to to find a way to go forward. To continue the CSDB legacy, to improve and perfect it.

Next year CSDB celebrates 10 years online! TEN years! We're closing in on 100,000 releases! I know many people out there are hunting for lost disk boxes - in their quest to preserve all bits and pieces of "the scene".

CSDB is our mothership ftw!

I would like to extend my full respect to Perff, Kilroy and the rest of the guys who has built up this site in their spare time. It's an impressive amount of work you have put into this. So stay with us, spread the word so the legacy can continue!

I'd be happy to volunteer with my knowledge!
2010-12-20 20:04
Celtic
Administrator

Thanks Bepp for this very thoughtfull statement. And i think most of what you say is very true.

I can also provide a bit of news. The going has been very slow due to some personal stuff but we are currently discussing how to make a save code-envirement for new people to help with csdb coding. When this is done we will look for people interested in helping code for the csdb.

Yes we are slow, but personally my philosphy is 'Slow and Steady'. So be patient, it will take some time, but we'll get there.
Previous - 1 | 2 | 3 - Next
RefreshSubscribe to this thread:

You need to be logged in to post in the forum.

Search the forum:
Search   for   in  
All times are CET.
Search CSDb
Advanced
Users Online
iceout/Avatar/HF
Faayd/Quantum
psych
tlr
Knight Rider/TREX
Alakran_64