Log inRegister an accountBrowse CSDbHelp & documentationFacts & StatisticsThe forumsAvailable RSS-feeds on CSDbSupport CSDb Commodore 64 Scene Database
 Welcome to our latest new user maak ! (Registered 2024-04-18) You are not logged in - nap
CSDb User Forums

Forums > CSDb Feedback > improved "latest releases"?
2011-04-25 15:39
Jak T Rip

improved "latest releases"?

I try to follow all new releases, but it happens time and again that I miss entries... but why?? If I follow the latest releases e.g. once a week and look at all entries until I reach an entry I already know, should I not see all new releases?

The answer is NO! Because the latest releases section is sorted by release date and not by submit date. This is logical, in a way, but not the way I intuitively expected things to be, because this also means that new uploads appear somewhere inside the list and not on top of the list as I expected.
This way, I miss entries that are not uploaded shortly after their release.

A good example that many users missed is e.g. Rosone by Karoshier - have you seen it?
Rosone
It was upped much later than it was released.

For me, this is a major problem. But how to solve it?
The idea I have in mind is having an additional list that is...
a) sorted by submission date (so that old pages will always be stable)
b) has a date filter for the release date period. A good default could be "from release date" = today and "to release date" = today+2 years

It would also be good to have some kind of "delta report" where one could see all releases that where upped much later than they were released, so that one could track down which releases one has missed in the past.

... 2 posts hidden. Click here to view all posts....

2011-04-26 04:13
Rough
Account closed

I'm not against a 'submission date list', but keep in mind that CSDb is not a release site, but still a database to archive.
2011-04-26 09:46
Perff
Administrator

I guess you know about the "Latest additions" list?
I know it dosn't filter out very old releases, and that there often comes up to 50 new entries on this list pr. day, but if you follow this list you'll never miss anything.
This page is also available as a feed
2011-04-26 11:23
MacGyver
Account closed

I wonder if anyone actually read JTR's posting?
He's talking about the addition of new releases which are added later than the Latest Releases will show.
2011-04-26 12:34
Perff
Administrator

Yes. And that is what "latest additions" does. It just lists all releases with no regard to when they were actually released.
But when is a release new?
If I read correctly a sugestion is 2 years.
So one could take the "latest additions" page or feed, and filter out releases with a release date which is max 2 years old - I guess that would do the trick?
2011-04-26 12:34
bepp

What Perff said... the Latest Additions page (http://csdb.dk/latestadditions.php?latype=release) does contain all releases, old and new, sorted by upload date (rather than release date). This should cover your needs?

You can also use this page to get releases for the x latest days (see the form at the bottom).
2011-04-26 12:38
bepp

Instead of hardcoding 2 years, why not add the option to add an additional filter, like "Do not include releases with a release date older than...", and then you can have a combo with options like:

1 month
2 months
3 months
1 year
2 years

(The default may well be 2 years)
2011-04-26 12:39
bepp

FYI... This is a duplicate post of (improved "latest releases"?). This post should really be moved to the right forum ;-)
2011-04-26 13:58
Perff
Administrator

Moved all replies to this thread, and closed the other one. :)
2011-04-27 08:41
Jak T Rip

Yes, additional filters for the latest additions list would do the trick
(it should be possible to define a period from/to, not just "from now until")
I'd appreciate the same format (tabular report) as in latest releases.

However, if this list will not replace the "latest releases" list, I think a comment to the latest releases list should be added to make people aware of that they might miss entries when only following this list in case releases are uploaded later than they are released.
Why? Because it took me years to understand this ;-)
I believe there are more people like me who follow the latest releases list the way I did and with the issues I described... otherwise this list would not be so popular I think.

And a delta report would also be much appreciated!
(-> It would also be good to have some kind of "delta report" where one could see all releases that where upped much later than they were released, so that one could track down which releases one has missed in the past.)
2011-06-08 18:44
Jak T Rip

Hey Perff,

are you looking into this? It would be much appreciated.
Some days ago I missed a release again as it was upped a week later than released, but found it accidentally again.
Previous - 1 | 2 - Next
RefreshSubscribe to this thread:

You need to be logged in to post in the forum.

Search the forum:
Search   for   in  
All times are CET.
Search CSDb
Advanced
Users Online
acrouzet/G★P
Guests online: 72
Top Demos
1 Next Level  (9.8)
2 Mojo  (9.7)
3 Coma Light 13  (9.7)