Log inRegister an accountBrowse CSDbHelp & documentationFacts & StatisticsThe forumsAvailable RSS-feeds on CSDbSupport CSDb Commodore 64 Scene Database
You are not logged in - nap
CSDb User Forums

Forums > CSDb Feedback > Proposed rule change
2011-05-22 02:44
Martin Piper

Proposed rule change

I would like to propose a rule change. If an admin is involved in posting in a thread they are not allowed to use their admin powers to delete posts, issue warnings or lock threads. This would help stop the situations where an admin who loses an argument can abuse their powers to remove the posts they personally disagree with.

... 138 posts hidden. Click here to view all posts....

2011-05-24 10:23
Martin Piper

Quoting JCB
Sounds public to me..

Indeed, public board, not private. Saying it is "private" is just trying to hide behind a false claim in the hope nobody questions it.
2011-05-24 10:25
chatGPZ

seriously, you really want to consult whoever you consider competent in related laws and ask him how this website may be considered public and why not. you are correct, the examples were bad, mostly because this is a very diverse issue, and there are big differences between a website and a library. i am also sure that depending where you live, the matter can be much different. i dont know - nor care - about UK or US law for that matter =)
2011-05-24 10:38
Martin Piper

You want to use a legal definition now?
Fine.

Since you're the one claiming it is "private" the burden of proof is on you to prove it is "private" with a legal ruling from a court with jurisdiction on the matter.

Until you provide that proof then you cannot claim it is "private".
2011-05-24 10:40
JCB
Account closed

I really don't think private by it's definition in law is the point being argued here (should maybe keep law out of a site full of unlawful files anyway. lol). At it's basics in law, private means "owned by an individual". This site however is full of other people's work, which hasn't been paid for, just co-opted, so the content, the stuff people actually come here for is public. Take the content away, by all means.

The fact the owner then requires donations from the public to allow other members of the public to view them furthers the public nature.

It's probably closer to an art gallery if anything ;) Discuss.. =P

I don't think anyone will agree on the public/private point. I'm done.

2011-05-24 10:46
chatGPZ

Quote:
The fact the owner then requires donations from the public to allow other members of the public to view them furthers the public nature.

how exactly does this site require donations from anyone? choosing not to donate will change what exactly for you?
2011-05-24 10:52
JCB
Account closed

Quote: Quote:

how exactly does this site require donations from anyone? choosing not to donate will change what exactly for you?

ROFL

There's a button at the top of the screen "Donate" which takes you to a page that requests donations. As I said before, we don't know without actual running costs vs donations what percentage of that cost is covered BY donations. Take them away and the site goes down? or not..

Quote:
choosing not to donate will change what exactly for you?

What has that got to do with it being public or private? Another twist of direction...

2011-05-24 10:53
Martin Piper

Quoting Groepaz

http://noname.c64.org/csdb/donate.php

"if you want to help keep CSDb running"
"CSDb is currently funded for 16 days"
"All donations are strictly paying for the hosting only"

All of which strongly implies if the donations did not happen then the site could go down, or change to a less costly server, either way the site as we know it uses the donations. Less dontations can logically mean less site.

If you're trying to contend nothing would change without donations you'll need to support that claim with detailed financial reports of running costs and donations received. Otherwise you're making unsupported claims.
2011-05-24 11:02
chatGPZ

oh dear. try using google. find out what a damn root server to run a small website like this costs. please.

alternatively you can donate, and then see how much days it was worth :)

and yes, there is a difference between "help we need your money to pay the hosting" and "if you like to support our hosting by donating, you can do that here".

but ofcourse, its your full right to understand that differently. and if you dont believe that the site wont go down without donations, then dont. you probably know better than those who run the site =P
2011-05-24 11:05
JCB
Account closed

You obviously know, stop being obtuse and just tell us ;) I don't know how much bandwidth and storage it uses, I don't know how much people are donating. If I thought the site was run well I would donate and find out how many days it added ;)

*edit*
And yes, it's my right to understand the donations differently. Until there are figures or no donations (to see the effect) to go from I'd be guessing either way..
2011-05-24 11:10
Martin Piper

Quoting Groepaz
oh dear. try using google. find out what a damn root server to run a small website like this costs. please.

It depends on many factors, but anyway the burden of proof is on the person making the claims about privacy, i.e. you're the one who has to provide figures, not me.

If you cannot support your claim that this is a "private" site then with the overwhelming arguments against your unsupported claim it doesn't look good.
Previous - 1 | ... | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 - Next
RefreshSubscribe to this thread:

You need to be logged in to post in the forum.

Search the forum:
Search   for   in  
All times are CET.
Search CSDb
Advanced
Users Online
LordCrass
Guests online: 130
Top Demos
1 Next Level  (9.8)
2 Mojo  (9.7)
3 Coma Light 13  (9.7)