Log inRegister an accountBrowse CSDbHelp & documentationFacts & StatisticsThe forumsAvailable RSS-feeds on CSDbSupport CSDb Commodore 64 Scene Database
You are not logged in - nap
CSDb User Forums

Forums > CSDb Feedback > Proposed rule change
2011-05-22 02:44
Martin Piper

Proposed rule change

I would like to propose a rule change. If an admin is involved in posting in a thread they are not allowed to use their admin powers to delete posts, issue warnings or lock threads. This would help stop the situations where an admin who loses an argument can abuse their powers to remove the posts they personally disagree with.

... 138 posts hidden. Click here to view all posts....

2011-05-24 07:00
chatGPZ

you have a funny interpretation of what is public and what is not. and yes it is "invitation only", the same way your home is. everyone may come knock at the door, but not everyone will be let in. (and most importantly, noone has the right to get in)
2011-05-24 07:08
The Communist

Quoting Martin Piper
In common English "we do not give a fuck about" means "we do not care about".

and "we give a fuck" means "we care about" ?
2011-05-24 08:21
Martin Piper

Quote: Quoting Martin Piper
In common English "we do not give a fuck about" means "we do not care about".

and "we give a fuck" means "we care about" ?

Is English your mother tongue?
2011-05-24 08:26
Martin Piper

Quote: you have a funny interpretation of what is public and what is not. and yes it is "invitation only", the same way your home is. everyone may come knock at the door, but not everyone will be let in. (and most importantly, noone has the right to get in)

Actually you have a strange way of looking at things because this board is not like a home where someone is invited. You don't have a large portion of your home on public view, like this board. You don't have people asking to come in and then update parts of your home, like this board.

This board is more like a library, which is one way of describing a database in fact. The contents of the board/database/library are publicly viewable. If someone wants to "borrow a book", i.e. interact with the library, then they apply for a library card and when they are accepted they are able to interact with the contents of the library and perhaps add their own content.

This the usual phrase to describe that is *public* library. Ergo this board is *public*, not private as you claim.
2011-05-24 08:55
JCB
Account closed

Indeed, for examples of "private" sites, go check out some of the torrent trackers. You can't view most of them, you certainly can't download from them unless you join and even then some of them are invitation only (not request and wait for decision).

2011-05-24 09:02
chatGPZ

that doesnt change the fact that the right to use a public library is earned by the fact of public founding. just like you dont earn the right to participate in a football club because large parts of its activities are publicly viewable. or to not get your stuff deleted in wikipedia for that matter :)

(some parts of the database are not visible if not logged in, btw)
2011-05-24 09:10
Martin Piper

The donate button is public. I don't even need an account to donate. This site is funded by public donations. It is public not private.
2011-05-24 09:13
Stainless Steel

Quoting Groepaz
pretty similar to good old BBSs.

So this is what you would like this site to be ? just like the good old BBSs, where Sysops/Cosysops with infantile and overblown ego's can rule with an iron fist?

As much fun as it was in the 80's i dont think that's going to work in this day and age. But i've been wrong before.

2011-05-24 09:20
chatGPZ

Quote:
The donate button is public. I don't even need an account to donate. This site is funded by public donations. It is public not private.

notice the difference between "public donations" and "public founding". ie "some" vs "all". there are countless examples of organisations not founded by the public, but founded on "public donations" by individuals - someone mentioned the red cross already.

Quote:
So this is what you would like this site to be ? just like the good old BBSs, where Sysops/Cosysops with infantile and overblown ego's can rule with an iron fist?

no, what i said is that the site IS like that. i am a dickhead, and i be censoring whatever doesnt fit my twisted views. see?
2011-05-24 09:22
JCB
Account closed

Unless you post a list of running costs and donations the only difference between "funding" and "donation" is the words. If everyone stopped donating would the site continue to run? I'm sure it might be nobody donating has that info.
Previous - 1 | ... | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 - Next
RefreshSubscribe to this thread:

You need to be logged in to post in the forum.

Search the forum:
Search   for   in  
All times are CET.
Search CSDb
Advanced
Users Online
Guests online: 120
Top Demos
1 Next Level  (9.8)
2 Mojo  (9.7)
3 Coma Light 13  (9.7)
4 Edge of Disgrace  (9.6)