Log inRegister an accountBrowse CSDbHelp & documentationFacts & StatisticsThe forumsAvailable RSS-feeds on CSDbSupport CSDb Commodore 64 Scene Database
You are not logged in - nap
CSDb User Forums

Forums > CSDb Feedback > Proposed rule change
2011-05-22 02:44
Martin Piper

Proposed rule change

I would like to propose a rule change. If an admin is involved in posting in a thread they are not allowed to use their admin powers to delete posts, issue warnings or lock threads. This would help stop the situations where an admin who loses an argument can abuse their powers to remove the posts they personally disagree with.

... 138 posts hidden. Click here to view all posts....

2011-05-22 23:44
JCB
Account closed

Christ you guys can be condescending. I think everyone knows how moderation works, the problem is when someone is supposed to be modding AND gets involved in or even starts arguments.
2011-05-22 23:48
STE'86

we know EXACTLY how moderation works and therefore know this isnt it.

you can't objectively moderate on thread you are involved in. PERIOD.
2011-05-22 23:50
CreaMD

JCB: and have you read carefully what I said? I said that it was mistake (to get involved). He should have done the mod work without commenting.

2011-05-22 23:50
Martin Piper

Quote: Martin. Moderator evaluates, decides, deletes, gives a reason for deletion. That is how it works. What new rule are going to propose? That moderators should vote on every "deletion"?

And as far as your posts in that thread are concerned. Be so kind and don't start the whole debate again. It's pointless.

You don't seem to understand how moderation works.

I do understand, which is why I proposed the change. When a moderator debates in a thread like a normal poster would, then when they are shown to be wrong, that moderator its not the right person to then make a decision on what is off topic and to delete posts. Obviously because their actions have personal bias.

Can you explain how in a thread about 3D graphics algorithms the RLE approach is off topic? Obviously it is on topic. So obviously it was wrong to delete those posts and lock the thread.
2011-05-22 23:52
CreaMD

STE'86, you are partially right. After you get involved, it seems that you are abusing your rights. Especially when there is an argue. Therefore it's best to do what you consider right, because if you choose to get into argument with users it's a way to that hell that happened in that thread.
2011-05-22 23:55
JCB
Account closed

Quote: JCB: and have you read carefully what I said? I said that it was mistake (to get involved). He should have done the mod work without commenting.

Yes, I read it and yes I understood what you're saying and yes, we still all know how moderation works...

The problem in that thread was nothing to do with it being off topic or not, as has been said, if it was it should have just been deleted then maybe some polite PMs could be sent to sort it out. As it was, it was nothing more than trolling THEN bringing out the moderator card after trying to justify the post. You've only got to restore the posts in that thread to see how ridiculous he made it...
2011-05-22 23:56
STE'86

can we take it then that groepaz will be discouraged from "getting involved" to euphemistically refer to it in discussions/arguments while a mod then?
2011-05-22 23:59
Martin Piper

Quote: STE'86, you are partially right. After you get involved, it seems that you are abusing your rights. Especially when there is an argue. Therefore it's best to do what you consider right, because if you choose to get into argument with users it's a way to that hell that happened in that thread.

Actually no. It is better for the mod in the argument to try to debate properly or to stop posting and to not use their powers, or threaten to use their powers. In the particular thread is was all fine and on topic until the mod came along and made an incorrect post which was off topic.

The correct moderation decision should have been to delete the mod's post as off topic and leave the on topic posts, i.e. leave my post and the other posts discussing the on topic RLE method.
2011-05-23 00:01
CreaMD

Quote: I do understand, which is why I proposed the change. When a moderator debates in a thread like a normal poster would, then when they are shown to be wrong, that moderator its not the right person to then make a decision on what is off topic and to delete posts. Obviously because their actions have personal bias.

Can you explain how in a thread about 3D graphics algorithms the RLE approach is off topic? Obviously it is on topic. So obviously it was wrong to delete those posts and lock the thread.

I agree with the first part. Except of the fact about "moderator proven wrong" it's relative and depends on point of view. Especially on internet where persistence sometimes win over the common sense.

As far as offtopicness is conerned. Moderator decides. That thread was about the 3d card being developed by Stingray. The coder guys were giving him some hints on what features of card they would find useful. Everything else in that thread is more or less oftopic, especially after Stingray stopped posting to it. The purpose of that thread went away. Of course it is just an individual point of view. Mine. According to that I would also consider your posts offtopic. They weren't helping the developer, which was long gone, and they weren't adding value to coders debates either, because that hardware isn't avalable on C64.

And now see what you have done. We are back to debate about your posts. But maybe, now you will at least admit that there was some sense in Groepaz's objections. If not, then there is still that "it's on moderator to decide" option. And that beats all argumentation we have here. ;-)
2011-05-23 00:07
STE'86

or to put it another way in another place, years ago...

"he was only obeying orders"
Previous - 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | ... | 15 - Next
RefreshSubscribe to this thread:

You need to be logged in to post in the forum.

Search the forum:
Search   for   in  
All times are CET.
Search CSDb
Advanced
Users Online
Asphodel
Wayne/Art Ravers
Martin Piper
El Jefe/Slackers^sidD
Guests online: 83
Top Demos