Log inRegister an accountBrowse CSDbHelp & documentationFacts & StatisticsThe forumsAvailable RSS-feeds on CSDbSupport CSDb Commodore 64 Scene Database
You are not logged in - nap
CSDb User Forums

Forums > CSDb Feedback > Released at/competed at
2004-02-23 17:39
Cruzer

Released at/competed at

Suggestion: Change "released at" to "competed at" since there's been lotsa demos (especially in the old days) that competed at a party, but wasn't released until some months after, or in some cases wasn't released at all.
2004-02-23 19:46
chatGPZ

"especially in the old days" ... now thats interisting... care to explain? as far as i remember only a very small fraction of the total amount of released demos competed and werent released at the same time - something that has changed especially in the last few years.
2004-02-23 20:48
Cruzer

In the old days people used to show up at a party with a half finished demo, that they had to complete there. And usually they overestimated how much time they got, which meant that it wasn't finished. So instead of not competing they just competed with the half done production, which sometimes just consisted of some parts that had to be loaded individually.

Examples of demos that wasn't released at the party where they competed...

Upfront - Too Drunk to Fuck (Unreleased)
Upfront - (Title unknown, competed at Dexion Party 1990) (Unreleased)
Triangle - The Road of Excess
Camelot - One Year Camelot 3
Camelot - Produkthandler Kom Her

And we had planned to do the same at The Computer Crossroads 1993, but this was the first time the organizers reserved their rights to spread all competing prods, which meant no CML demo in that compo.

Yeah, maybe "lotsa" was a little excaggerated, but still...
2004-02-24 11:34
Cmr
Account closed

In the old days it wasn't allowed to compete with an unfinished demo at a party compo. Only a few parties allowed something like that. Competing with unfinished demos is more a thing from the last years (1993+).
2004-02-24 13:15
TDJ

Quote: In the old days it wasn't allowed to compete with an unfinished demo at a party compo. Only a few parties allowed something like that. Competing with unfinished demos is more a thing from the last years (1993+).

Wow, 2 complete opposite opinions. And I've gotta go with Cruzer here: the 'compo productions will be spread' rule only really started happening around '93. I know TP3 had that rule, so I just stole the disk with Visual Delight 2 on it back from the organizers to break it (the rule, not the disk) :)
2004-02-24 14:42
Zyron

Quote: Wow, 2 complete opposite opinions. And I've gotta go with Cruzer here: the 'compo productions will be spread' rule only really started happening around '93. I know TP3 had that rule, so I just stole the disk with Visual Delight 2 on it back from the organizers to break it (the rule, not the disk) :)

You rascal! :)
2004-02-24 14:54
TDJ

Quote: You rascal! :)

Ofcourse you realise that my post above cannot be used as evidence in any case made against me by the international demo compo organizer association, as this account is hacked. Yes it is.
2004-02-25 13:21
Zyron

Quote: Ofcourse you realise that my post above cannot be used as evidence in any case made against me by the international demo compo organizer association, as this account is hacked. Yes it is.

Well of course it is...
2004-02-25 15:14
Graham
Account closed

Quote: In the old days it wasn't allowed to compete with an unfinished demo at a party compo. Only a few parties allowed something like that. Competing with unfinished demos is more a thing from the last years (1993+).

looking through my demodatabase i see a lot of unfinished demos competing at parties. the only difference is: in most cases the creators never cared to finish their demos so they just put a note on disk "if demo crashes reset and type SYS bla bla" or they silently released a fixed version some time after, which hardly any people noticed. for example, "larch 3" exists in two versions, but none of them states "this is the party version" or "this is the final version"... you just notice that one version has several parts more and is two disksides.

all this "bla bla back in the old days bla bla" talk is plain bullshit. the difference is not that back then people didnt compete with unfinished demos, the difference is that everything was a bit more unorganized. people didnt care if a demo crashed or was lacking parts in the party version, since in most cases they didnt even know that they had the party version and there was another one released.
2004-02-25 16:01
TDJ

Quote: looking through my demodatabase i see a lot of unfinished demos competing at parties. the only difference is: in most cases the creators never cared to finish their demos so they just put a note on disk "if demo crashes reset and type SYS bla bla" or they silently released a fixed version some time after, which hardly any people noticed. for example, "larch 3" exists in two versions, but none of them states "this is the party version" or "this is the final version"... you just notice that one version has several parts more and is two disksides.

all this "bla bla back in the old days bla bla" talk is plain bullshit. the difference is not that back then people didnt compete with unfinished demos, the difference is that everything was a bit more unorganized. people didnt care if a demo crashed or was lacking parts in the party version, since in most cases they didnt even know that they had the party version and there was another one released.

Very true, and ofcourse the internet has a lot to do with this: it wasn't until '93 (there's that year again) that compo releases were spread through the internet, before that it was a lot harder to control the spreading of these wares.
2004-02-25 23:53
chatGPZ

but in general you still got them faster than today, even if sent by snail mail :) and i'm not even referring to demos that need months to get finished - but to party organizers who have an appearent problem with uploading.
RefreshSubscribe to this thread:

You need to be logged in to post in the forum.

Search the forum:
Search   for   in  
All times are CET.
Search CSDb
Advanced
Users Online
cba
celticdesign/G★P/M..
JackAsser/Booze Design
Knut Clausen/SHAPE/F..
rexbeng
Andy/AEG