Log inRegister an accountBrowse CSDbHelp & documentationFacts & StatisticsThe forumsAvailable RSS-feeds on CSDbSupport CSDb Commodore 64 Scene Database
You are not logged in - nap
CSDb User Forums

Forums > CSDb Feedback > separate list for one-file demos
2013-05-09 08:30
Yazoo

separate list for one-file demos

as the doty compo shows, it would make sense to have a separate list for one-file demos, and not mix them up with trackmos / multi-part demos.

we now have a top10 which looks a little bit odd. but downvoting the one-part demos (to get them out of the list) is not a good option for me, as some of them are really great and they also deserve to be high on the ranks.

is there any chance that we can have this? :)

/yazoo

... 9 posts hidden. Click here to view all posts....

2013-05-14 10:51
Radiant

Please note that many one file demos are indeed multipart demos (One-Der, Panta Rhei, The Throckmorton Device... Corporis Cumuli...). You could argue that it would be equally unfair to pit those against single-effect demos rated at 9.7 or whatever.
2013-05-14 11:43
ruk

what radiantx said
2013-05-14 11:47
Krill

Indeed, one-filed/multi-part vs. multi-filed/multi-part demos does not feel as unfair as one-part/one-filed vs. multi-part demos in one chart.

Personally, i have never minded one-filed/multi-part demos such as One-Der or Dawnfall in the top demos list very much, but one-part/one-filed demos up there now feel a lot odder.

I guess it all boils down to effort. Arguably, a single-part demo is generally less effort to make than both single-file and multi-file demos with many parts.

Those are all demos still, but so are 4K demos.

Maybe the Top Demos chart should have a few checkboxes:
[X] single-file
[X] multi-file
[ ] single-part
[X] multi-part
[ ] 4K

Not sure if this is easily done or not with the current database contents, but these are just my €0.02.

Edit: And yes, less than 4K might be called a demo, but i have yet to see a demo smaller than 4K on the C-64 that does not sacrifice one of the three main disciplines that make for a good demo. Usually the music is missing, and most often it's just plain ugly.
2013-05-14 12:22
Oswald

A drop down list would work in the place of "Top Demos". then its immediately obvious one can view other sortings.
2013-05-14 15:57
chatGPZ

i think we should introduce a rule that says "your request will get ignored unless you made a demo last year"

if only half the time thinking about this crap would go into producing something....
2013-05-14 17:12
Oswald

It's just day dreaming, I dont expect this to be done. On demos, I've become tired of all those half assed demos we have put out lately just to release something. I'm in part coding/collecting phase these days. Thanks to X and other great parties and demos (incl yours), my motivation is pretty high. X 14 here I come ;)
2013-05-14 18:51
JackAsser

Quote: It's just day dreaming, I dont expect this to be done. On demos, I've become tired of all those half assed demos we have put out lately just to release something. I'm in part coding/collecting phase these days. Thanks to X and other great parties and demos (incl yours), my motivation is pretty high. X 14 here I come ;)

My hero! <3
2013-05-14 21:44
TheRyk

Quote: It's just day dreaming, I dont expect this to be done. On demos, I've become tired of all those half assed demos we have put out lately just to release something. I'm in part coding/collecting phase these days. Thanks to X and other great parties and demos (incl yours), my motivation is pretty high. X 14 here I come ;)

Quote:
if only half the time thinking about this crap would go into producing something....

Yeah, don't get it either. Though I see some point in Yazoo's suggestion, some of you take all that jazz far too serious. What's all this votes and stats fuzz recently about, ppl downvoting this or that in order to manipulate this or that stat wankin, wtf. Either it's 10 or not - in your opinion. Worrying that sth small might appear in some charts? c'mon, grow up, this ain't some teenage social networking f--kbook site.
2013-05-15 00:30
CRT

Quote: about this, only new demos in top list..
the best thing would be to have a list for 80s, 90s, 2000s, 2010s..

it doesnt make sense to compare old and new.

REFLEX demos were legendary in 90s, but now its all gone into ubercode, since EOD was realized.. :)

Excellent thought.

Perhaps a possibility to sort a list for a specific year and that includes +/- one year. Example, a list demos for 89 and that would include years 88 and 90. The rankings would make a lot more sense in a context like that.
2013-05-15 06:34
JackAsser

Quote: Excellent thought.

Perhaps a possibility to sort a list for a specific year and that includes +/- one year. Example, a list demos for 89 and that would include years 88 and 90. The rankings would make a lot more sense in a context like that.

You might wanna try: http://csdb.dk/search/advanced.php

Why not be able to save your search criteria as a personal top-list and use that in the side bar...
Previous - 1 | 2 - Next
RefreshSubscribe to this thread:

You need to be logged in to post in the forum.

Search the forum:
Search   for   in  
All times are CET.
Search CSDb
Advanced
Users Online
t0m3000/ibex-crew
Six/G★P
MCM/ONSLAUGHT
dillof
Sentinel/Excess/TREX
Laurent