Log inRegister an accountBrowse CSDbHelp & documentationFacts & StatisticsThe forumsAvailable RSS-feeds on CSDbSupport CSDb Commodore 64 Scene Database
 Welcome to our latest new user maak ! (Registered 2024-04-18) You are not logged in - nap
CSDb User Forums

Forums > CSDb Questions > Voting for parties
2004-10-26 14:06
TDJ

Voting for parties

Why is this not implemented?

... 8 posts hidden. Click here to view all posts....

2004-10-28 12:26
Perff
Administrator

To control that only people who attendet a party should be able to vote is more or less impossible.
In general there is no 100% relation between the users of CSDb and the info in CSDb, so it is impossible to determine if a user have attended a party.
It's true that there exists relation which should be able to determine this, but it would be SO easy to fake that I won't even consider it.
Also think about a person who has a login here on CSDb, but dosn't have an entry here (/scener/id=XXX) here because he isn't a c64-scener, shouldn't he be alloved to vote?

Anyway, when you say that only people who have gone to a party can vote for it, and only people who knows swappers etc. can vote for them, think about the consequences.
As I see it, what you say will be true for any kind of voting. If you havn't seen a demo you can't have an oppinion, but you can still vote. At least I havn't seen any vote-sheet or party-voting or anything where you had to prove you had actually seen the production in order to be able to vote. The same goes for any other kind of voting I can think of.

So in general to check that people who vote should be alloved to vote on that, I think is a bad idea. It's to hard to check, and will have larger consequences than one initially might think of. If we check it on parties (which we can more or less), some will want us to check on swappers, that you must have swapped with the ones you vote on, etcetc. and finally you MUST have seen a production before you can vote for it, and how will you check that?
So I decide to just say, that we don't check it. If someone is fakevoting we will find it out in other ways.

Well. Back to the original question. Should it be possible to vote for parties here in CSDb?
2004-10-28 12:49
Hein

It was just an idea, since I did not know that someone who only has a login, cannot vote, and, exceptions are allowed in life aswell, not everything needs to be by unbendable rules.

Also, I thought it would motivate people to add the parties they attended, because voting is something people like doing more than digging up their partyhistory and add it over here.

I agree that fakevoting (downvoting in secret, upvoting in secret) is happening all the time with demos, sceners and groups anyway.
2004-10-28 12:50
TDJ

When I said "those two things can only be judged by the people actually knowing these persons" I didn't mean that other people can't vote, I know they can, but I'm guessing that most people here only vote for product they've seen/people whose work they know/parties they've been to. So fake votes is not my concern.

With requirements I mean stuff like 'has to be registred as a party, not a meeting' etc. Ofcourse that won't stop people entering their internal meeting as a demo party here, but c'mon, it's not that hard to spot. If "Focus meeting #3" is #1 in the party charts you could disqualify such a thing right away.

If you're really concerned about fake votes, there is only one thing you can do: discard of the whole system, now. :)
2004-10-28 12:57
Perff
Administrator

@Hein:
Ok. I see you point, but I just thought which consequences it could have. :)
You write: "I did not know that someone who only has a login, cannot vote".
Did I say that? If you have a login on CSDb you can vote - you don't have to have a scener entry or anything.

@TDJ:
Your idea about it only being possible to vote for REAL parties and not meetings is nice. If that is all you meant - fine with me. :)

Fake voting - I know it's impossible, but I belive that we made it just a bit hard to do extensive fake-voting here. It's been a long time since I got the last complaint about anyone feeling they were up/down-voted. he.
2004-10-28 14:25
Hein

Quote: @Hein:
Ok. I see you point, but I just thought which consequences it could have. :)
You write: "I did not know that someone who only has a login, cannot vote".
Did I say that? If you have a login on CSDb you can vote - you don't have to have a scener entry or anything.

@TDJ:
Your idea about it only being possible to vote for REAL parties and not meetings is nice. If that is all you meant - fine with me. :)

Fake voting - I know it's impossible, but I belive that we made it just a bit hard to do extensive fake-voting here. It's been a long time since I got the last complaint about anyone feeling they were up/down-voted. he.

A misunderstanding about whether a login or/and an entry can vote, allthough I think it's unlikely that a non-c64-scener will cast his vote over here anyway, even if he got a csdb login and visited a c64 party (as a focus groupy for instance or a pc-lamer) hmmm, groupies should be allowed to vote, that's true..
2004-10-28 19:36
yago

I think even People who have not attended a Party should be able to vote for it (maybe with a check-mark: did not attend).

Because the output of the party (demos,music,grafix) can be judged by people who were not even there.

However, the spirit,games,alkohol,atmosphere etc.pp can only be judged by people who were there.

2004-10-28 20:46
TDJ

Quote: I think even People who have not attended a Party should be able to vote for it (maybe with a check-mark: did not attend).

Because the output of the party (demos,music,grafix) can be judged by people who were not even there.

However, the spirit,games,alkohol,atmosphere etc.pp can only be judged by people who were there.

I think there is a difference between the party itself, and the products that are released there (although they are often part of the total atmosphere as well: those who were at TP3 probably remember the huge amount of demos as being one of the reasons the party rocked so much).

So personally I hope only those who attend vote ;)

2004-10-29 10:49
yago

Rethinking about it, the non-attendents should not vote for a party, but for the release-disks.
Maybe Events should contain (besides the individual contributions) a release-disk.
2004-10-29 13:42
Perff
Administrator

Quote: Rethinking about it, the non-attendents should not vote for a party, but for the release-disks.
Maybe Events should contain (besides the individual contributions) a release-disk.

I'm not sure we will make a special "release-disk" entry for events - at least not yet.
But for now people can always add such things under 'external links'.
2004-10-30 16:47
dalezy

release-disks for every event would seriously rock.
Previous - 1 | 2 - Next
RefreshSubscribe to this thread:

You need to be logged in to post in the forum.

Search the forum:
Search   for   in  
All times are CET.
Search CSDb
Advanced
Users Online
Flex/Artline Designs
Linus/MSL
DjS/Silicon Ltd
eryngi
CA$H/TRiAD
Operator Teleksu