Log inRegister an accountBrowse CSDbHelp & documentationFacts & StatisticsThe forumsAvailable RSS-feeds on CSDbSupport CSDb Commodore 64 Scene Database
You are not logged in - nap
CSDb User Forums

Forums > CSDb Discussions > CSDb - Quantify Me Too - Hype stopped?
2015-04-10 22:24
Mr. Mouse

CSDb - Quantify Me Too - Hype stopped?

Heya folks.

I thought I'd get the data of CSDb again for another analysis like I did for the CSDb - Quantify Me ( CSDb - Quantify Me ) release back in 2010. It's been now more than 4 years on, would be interesting to compare the pivotal line chart from that analysis with the current state of affairs:

In the chart you see the data of today, compared to the 31st of July 2010. You can also see a lot of more additions have been made to the database, most releases attributed to the period between 1984 and, say, 1997.

At that time in 2010, 88380 releases were in my analysis, of which 76425 did have a release year listed. Today, I counted 130743 releases, with 113612 having a release year. So that's 37186 new CSDb additions with a release year since back then. Of course, most of this is due to stuff that was apparently made back in the 80s and 90s.

I would like to draw your attention to the period after 2010 however, that showed a steady increase of yearly number of releases, from 1046 in 2010 to 2037 in 2013. The latter number is touching the number in 1984, mind you. In this light, I would point out the drunken rambling in a word document I put at the end of the third of these CSDb - Quantify Me pages ( http://www.xentax.com/?page_id=235, http://www.xentax.com/?page_id=254, http://www.xentax.com/?page_id=265 ). In effect, this one: http://c64.xentax.com/downloads/csdb_quantifyme_part2_mindspook..
There I suggested (so in 2010) that we might be reliving a hyped surge in C64 activity, not unlike that seen in the Golden Age of C64 (the 80s).

Further drunken analysis might now confirm that, since the rise in the years after that is pretty clear. ;-) Where's that bottle of wodka? Anyway, what is somewhat troubling though, is that 2014 seems to be a year of decline. Has the hype stopped, ladies and gentlemen? Have we all now gone through our mid-life crises and/or died and is there no future? ;-)

... 35 posts hidden. Click here to view all posts....

2019-01-22 15:18
Burglar

cool stuff mr mouse!
I got 1 feature request: average csdb vote score per year, so we could see trends in release-quality too. (maybe only count releases with more than say 10 votes, to eliminate circle-jerk voting a bit?)
2019-01-22 15:25
chatGPZ

and a chart of who votes 10 or 1 most!
2019-01-22 16:05
Oswald

Quote: cool stuff mr mouse!
I got 1 feature request: average csdb vote score per year, so we could see trends in release-quality too. (maybe only count releases with more than say 10 votes, to eliminate circle-jerk voting a bit?)

its cicrle jerk anyway, imho similar standard demos get much higher votes by each year.
2019-01-22 18:28
Carrion

Quote: its cicrle jerk anyway, imho similar standard demos get much higher votes by each year.

really?
I'd though it's opposite. The top demos of, say 1990, are rather mediocre now but back then they were 10/10.
Some portal introduced scale change for voting. Pixeljoint comes to mind in my area of interest. It's like they added 11 to 10 possible points (they actually added 6 to 5 but anyway). Which allows to rescale all the votes after few years of quality improvement.
anyway...

gret material Mr. Mouse. Thanks!

And if you allow me to share my private thoughts I'd say:
Ten years ago I get back to demoscening. and my observation is that more and more people are coming back, there's more production each year and quality is unbelivably increasing X after X.
2019-01-22 20:52
Mr.Ammo
Account closed

Quoting Burglar
cool stuff mr mouse!

Removing all reciprocal votes would be a good idea too.
2019-01-22 21:56
Mr. Mouse

Alas, I don't have individual vote statistics per scener. You know that would lead to scene drama anyway. ;-)

I can however look at some aggregated vote statistics per release, Burglar. Will do that later this week and post it here. :)

Although I personally do not think this voting system is fair, nor transparent. So the analysis will not tell anything, because the algorithm behind it is unknown. So I basically wouldn't know what I was looking at.
That is why I did the top 10 table with the number of comments per release, at least you can see that way how much "engagement" there was with those releases.

@Mr Ammo: To remove reciprocal votes (and I assume you mean people voting to help each other constantly) may be a little tricky to do, since we would need to look at voting-behaviour and identify common patterns. And then what to do? Delete those? Call out the voters for their conduct?
I guess the only way forward would be to remove hidden voting and make it all public.
2019-01-25 13:40
Mr. Mouse

There really haven't been much votes for releases in the heyday period, and of course that is to be expected since people tend to vote for new releases each day, and not those from decades back. As of 2006 there is a sharp increase in voting, but 2013 is extraordinary. And not in line with the trend. Like a vote boom in that year. Overall the average release rating does crawl up the last years, but there is also overlapping standard deviations. So that probably doesn't really mean a notable difference.
2019-01-25 13:51
Mr.Ammo
Account closed

Quoting Mr. Mouse
@Mr Ammo: To remove reciprocal votes (and I assume you mean people voting to help each other constantly) may be a little tricky to do, since we would need to look at voting-behaviour and identify common patterns. And then what to do? Delete those? Call out the voters for their conduct?
I guess the only way forward would be to remove hidden voting and make it all public.

By removing all public (non-anonymous) votes from your data set, you're likely to remove a significant amount (if not all) of reciprocal and socially desirable/acceptable votes.
2019-01-25 14:03
chatGPZ

lol, i really doubt it. in the first place you'll remove a lot of votes =D

but comparing public vs non public would be interesting anyway, if only to show it really doesnt matter (for any entry with a reasonable number of votes)
2019-01-25 16:30
Mr. Mouse

Hmm, I tend to agree with Groepaz. Yes, by removing public votes you may eliminate votes that are done for show, but will also delete votes done by people that are simply honest and not privacy prone. I think the biggest bias may come from the hidden votes, by down/up voters that don't wish to be discovered as down/up voter, or as a friend of the releaser in question.
Previous - 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 - Next
RefreshSubscribe to this thread:

You need to be logged in to post in the forum.

Search the forum:
Search   for   in  
All times are CET.
Search CSDb
Advanced
Users Online
acrouzet/G★P
Guests online: 300
Top Demos
1 Next Level  (9.8)
2 Mojo  (9.7)
3 Coma Light 13  (9.7)