Log inRegister an accountBrowse CSDbHelp & documentationFacts & StatisticsThe forumsAvailable RSS-feeds on CSDbSupport CSDb Commodore 64 Scene Database
You are not logged in - nap
CSDb User Forums

Forums > CSDb Discussions > The speed of Excess first releases
2002-07-06 19:28
Richard

The speed of Excess first releases

Blimey, I'm amazed with Excess with their speed of First-Releasing various C64 game previews. They seem to capture these previous before anyone else. Was the cracking scene always like this?

MW4 preview V2 wasn't long released and Excess first releases it, the .LNX file was corrupt, but the zip code unzipped nicely.

I noticed that different groups had re-released first releases of game in the past. Four of the same game in a CBM ftp site cracked by different groups. I wonder if these guys and girls challenge other crackers to improve these first releases?

2002-07-06 20:24
cadaver

Btw. is there a way to enable the fastloader in MW4 prev/Excess? The original had two main programs, one for 1541/1571 fastloader & one for harddisks/other devices. The fastloader version plays of course loading music.

Previously I've complained about slowloader getting ripped away but this isn't (if there really is only the slowloader-version contained within the crack) so much better either.. Of course I understand that the harddisk version is easier to introlink as it isn't autostarting :)

2002-07-07 15:50
Richard

Hmm. Yes, I know what you mean. :)

It was a bit lame but these cracking groups firstrelease productions as they enjoy cracking games. It would have been good to have options whether or not to use fastloaders, but people who use SuperCPU, etc. would prefer to use normal kernal load.
2002-07-07 20:58
Slator

Richard, wake up...
a mail with the preview version v1 reached me too as the mail was addressed to several people. I laughed when I saw Faayd in the receive field as I was sure who would be so heroic to "intro-link" that preview.
Btw without the Excess releases the scene would not be that much fun... hence them and check the scrolltexts, infofiles and notes :-D.... you know what I mean....
and I still don't know why the .zip file contained such garbage... ok, I call it userfriendly...

Richard: the reason for seeing a lot of versions of a game has nothing to do with recracking. There normally was 1 official first-release (check for cracker+importer/fixer intro) and all other versions were either runner up or just normal cracks as it was allowed in the past to have more than just one version of a game. There were two catagories or philosophiesy speedcracking or quality cracking. In the end just the speed made it (check magazines like e.g. sh0ck)

Recracking means that you use the version of others because you were too lame to get the original in time or too lame to deprotect a game. for some groups it was like a `holocaust`.

2002-07-08 19:53
Celtic
Administrator

Holocaust hahahahahaha
2002-07-09 17:09
Richard

Quote: Richard, wake up...
a mail with the preview version v1 reached me too as the mail was addressed to several people. I laughed when I saw Faayd in the receive field as I was sure who would be so heroic to "intro-link" that preview.
Btw without the Excess releases the scene would not be that much fun... hence them and check the scrolltexts, infofiles and notes :-D.... you know what I mean....
and I still don't know why the .zip file contained such garbage... ok, I call it userfriendly...

Richard: the reason for seeing a lot of versions of a game has nothing to do with recracking. There normally was 1 official first-release (check for cracker+importer/fixer intro) and all other versions were either runner up or just normal cracks as it was allowed in the past to have more than just one version of a game. There were two catagories or philosophiesy speedcracking or quality cracking. In the end just the speed made it (check magazines like e.g. sh0ck)

Recracking means that you use the version of others because you were too lame to get the original in time or too lame to deprotect a game. for some groups it was like a `holocaust`.

QUOTE: Richard, wake up...
============================================================
Whoops. Sorry about that :)

I guess Faayd is in Role and Excess. If this is the case then methinx Role & Excess should have -shared- the firstrelease :)
QUOTE: Richard: the reason for seeing a lot of versions of a game has nothing to do with recracking. There normally was 1 official first-release (check for cracker+importer/fixer intro) and all other versions were either runner up or just normal cracks as it was allowed in the past to have more than just one version of a game. There were two catagories or philosophiesy speedcracking or quality cracking. In the end just the speed made it

Hmm, interesting. Speed cracking (First Release) and Quality Cracking (Fixed Releases). I bet most of the majority went for quality cracking, but all we seem to get now is speed cracking.

As far as I'm concerned. Remember & Nostalgia are the best at quality cracking of oldies

and Onslaught are the best for quality cracking new releases. ;)
2003-04-22 10:28
Jazzcat

The whole definition of first releases is being first, people don't win races by walking. Sometimes no one else would have the game, then a quality first release can be done.

RefreshSubscribe to this thread:

You need to be logged in to post in the forum.

Search the forum:
Search   for   in  
All times are CET.
Search CSDb
Advanced
Users Online
MCM/ONSLAUGHT
Bieno/Commodore Plus
JackAsser/Booze Design
Nordischsound/Hokuto..
Herrera64
Mibri/ATL^MSL^PRX