Log inRegister an accountBrowse CSDbHelp & documentationFacts & StatisticsThe forumsAvailable RSS-feeds on CSDbSupport CSDb Commodore 64 Scene Database
You are not logged in - nap
CSDb User Forums

Forums > CSDb Discussions > Anonymous Downvoters / Haters
2021-05-21 10:06
TheRyk

Anonymous Downvoters / Haters

Removed from comments to Just Follin Around

Quote:

User Comment
Submitted by saulc12 [PM] on 21 May 2021
I should just point out that I am not letting anything ruin my day, I am not distressed or in tears and I do not feel the need for validation. The reason this bothers me so much is as I said already, I don't like spite or cowardice and I am not the only target, plus as I said it then makes voting (especially in things like competitions) pointless. It is not how I approach the scene and I find it disappointing and frustrating that some people do approach the scene in this way.

Thanks for everybody's input and comments though.

User Comment
Chiuhino, I am not saying that I cannot be voted low for every tune I make, after all if somebody really doesn't like what I do then they don't like it, what I am saying is that it is obvious when this is just default and deliberate downvoting (and I am not the only person that has to put up with this). If the majority of votes are in the 8 to 10 range and somebody then comes along and always votes 1 or 2 this is not somebody expressing an opinion, it is just spite. As I said before, it then makes the whole voting process pointless. I accept that music can be quite divisive, but not to that extent. I don't understand why you would defend the actions of shit-posters and trolls.

User Comment
Submitted by iAN CooG [PM] on 21 May 2021
> ban anonymous votes

you have no idea how many so called "friends" would be finally revealed to be actually back-stabbers if that would happen and all anonym votes became public :D
I was a mod in here and I could see the voters even if set to anonym ;)
All I have to add is: don't let a SINGLE low voter ruin your day, everyone in here sooner or later will get his own personal "hater" because the system allows it, but the majority of positive votes should compensate the existance of a single idiot who doesn't have the guts to tell you what he thinks in your face of you or your releases.

User Comment
Submitted by Steel [PM] on 21 May 2021
Saul i really love this and you shouldn't care about that single downvote hater. haters gonna hate who cares ;) take my 10

User Comment
Submitted by chuinho [PM] on 21 May 2021
Saul, but what you say is basically: "i can't be voted low for every tune i make" - i think you can, and this possibility applies to absolutely everyone, even LMan or Linus. there is no objective value of what we do and each musician has his/her own style, which may be - for individual cases - annoying, hence the downvotes.

still, i really understand your sentiment - if i wasn't so much a relativist, i'd post comments very similar to yours ;)

User Comment
Submitted by SKR [PM] on 21 May 2021
If I could change only one thing about csdb, it would be to ban anonymous votes ... but well, that topic has been discussed many times.

@saulc: I think that as an artist you shouldn't even care at all about (down)votings, or even make your contributions to csdb dependent on them.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Some manage to express their opinion honestly, others dont. The usual downvotes seem to come from people that are too bitter, manipulative or poisonously ambitious to be able to make an appreciative judgment about other's work at all.

Keep up your work and keep posting your stuff to CSDB. I would not want to miss any of it, just due to some lame downvoting.

User Comment
I don’t have any tears, I am just annoyed. I stayed away from CSDB for a year because I got annoyed about this stuff before, and I now regret coming back on, because absolutely nothing has changed. I said it before that this kind of stuff brings out the worst in me and I don’t want to be in that position.

User Comment
Submitted by Stabile Altbauten [PM] on 21 May 2021
Saul I get also low Votes but it do not matter because i know what is right Inside of Myself . No Reason for Tears.! Let us become a group we can become Low Voted People from CSdB how sounds that Saul ? Put a smiley on your face Yours Micha

User Comment
Submitted by saulc12 [PM] on 20 May 2021
Chuinho, somebody downvoting every single thing that you post is not in any way about whether they like the music or not; it is shit-posting and trolling and it makes any voting in competitions or otherwise on here absolutely fucking pointless. What’s more it is always anonymous and the fuckers who do it never post a corresponding comment with any critique or explanation as that would mean that they outed themselves. Funnily enough I don’t care whether I win or lose, I just can’t abide spite or cowardice.

User Comment
Submitted by chuinho [PM] on 20 May 2021
Saul, the overall compo result will NOT be calculated basing solely on csdb votes.
btw. countless times i was disappointed with what i could describe as 'downvoting', but i suppose it's just people not liking my music at all. it kills motivation and does damage to self-esteem, but we're in the most abstract of arts, in which anyone can vote low without giving an objective reason.

User Comment
Submitted by Matt [PM] on 20 May 2021
Initially I wanted to say that you shouldn't worry too hard about the downvoters but to be honest I would just be as pissed off as you are.
What the fuck people!
Great tune by the way.

User Comment
Submitted by Joe [PM] on 20 May 2021
Lovely tune!

User Comment
Submitted by theK [PM] on 20 May 2021
Really nice tune!
Sad to see the behavior from some people. :-/

User Comment
Submitted by Oswald [PM] on 20 May 2021
agree with saul, you should be ashamed guys. disgusting what you do.

User Comment
Submitted by saulc12 [PM] on 20 May 2021
I see the down voters are in again, just so one again there’s no fucking point in me ever entering into any competition on here because some spiteful twats will vote down every time, and they cottoned on to the fact that just voting one has no impact, so that’s me not posting on CSDB any more. Utterly fucking pointless.

... 57 posts hidden. Click here to view all posts....

2021-05-21 18:04
CreaMD

Well, I'll be transparent here. I voted BAN for that specific user some time ago. One other mod voted ban too. That makes two votes total.

If one more mod will vote ban, the user will be banned. So either he will stop targeting people he hates/despises (which is probably too late), or he has big chance that he will eventually get banned.

Excerpt from rules:
"CSDb is a place for facts and factual discussions of scene related issues. It is therefore not permissible to use CSDb as a medium for any kind of personal attacks/discriminating or foul language (using the forum, oneliners, comments on CSDb entries, PM's, deliberate downvoting or anything similar), and any such will be punished with temporarily or permanent exclusion from the site."

Update: it's done.
2021-05-21 18:26
wil

Quote: Quote:
It's quite easy to distinguish honest score from being arse with self-esteem complexes - especially when you see how votes are generally distributed

Thats what you think. But its still all about taste. And its totally fine to dislike something that everyone else loves. And to vote the single 1 where everyone else voted 10s and 9s. And again, if the stats were not visible, the problem would not exist. at all.

That's true. Give csdb's odd "averaging" algorithm, everybody would have a hard time estimating what was voted. Even if a scener would tell you they just voted for your release, comparing the before and after value would tell you much. Therefore the odd algorithm would make sense at once. I'm more a transparency fan though.
2021-05-21 18:43
saulc12
Account closed

I wasn't aware that deleting entries was regarded as database vandalism, so my apologies - I just decided to quietly withdraw is all.

And please Groepaz, don't say that the scene is like football, I can't stand football, so that just makes it all so much worse lol.
2021-05-21 18:46
F7sus4

Quoting CreaMD
CSDb is a place for facts and factual discussions of scene related issues. It is therefore not permissible to use CSDb as a medium for any kind of personal attacks/discriminating or foul language (using the forum, oneliners, comments on CSDb entries, PM's, deliberate downvoting or anything similar), and any such will be punished with temporarily or permanent exclusion from the site.

If there are no actions taken regarding the deliberate downvoting part then it is pointless for that (or any other) rule to even be written down. Especially when it's followed by some moderators' rug-sweeping reactions: lol, another text flooding, grabbing popcorn etc. On the other hand, it's funny that a screenshot with 1 pixel missing gets replaced/deleted in a few minutes with police-like efficiency.

Quoting Groepaz
Of course just not taking this voting kindergarten serious isnt an option, i understand that.

It's nice that there is some acknowledgement, and I guess there was an attempt made by increasing the voters required to calculate the "weighted average" from 5 to 8, but it seems that it still requires an overhaul.

+1 on transparent votes.
2021-05-21 18:57
Hate Bush

+1 on completely anonymous votes.

the scene is full of sensitive people - including myself - and therefore not ready for vote transparency.
2021-05-21 19:04
Jammer

Quoting chuinho
the scene is full of sensitive people - including myself - and therefore not ready for vote transparency.

Doesn't sensitivity include both givers and receivers? ;)
2021-05-21 19:04
hedning

Quote: I wasn't aware that deleting entries was regarded as database vandalism, so my apologies - I just decided to quietly withdraw is all.

And please Groepaz, don't say that the scene is like football, I can't stand football, so that just makes it all so much worse lol.

<Post edited by hedning on 21/5-2021 19:05>

Football/Soccer or "chase a ball with your feet" is retarded, indeed. Now: fight! :D *grabbing popcorns*
2021-05-21 19:05
Jammer

Quoting hedning
Football/Soccer or "chase a ball with your feet" is retarded, indeed. Now: fight! :D

<3 <3 <3
2021-05-21 19:27
chatGPZ

Quote:
If there are no actions taken regarding the deliberate downvoting

Please define *exactly* what constitutes *deliberate* downvoting and how we are going to detect it.
2021-05-21 19:41
TheRyk

Many views and suggestions, some innovative, some known from the other 100 downvote threads.

Anyway, Mods and especially Perff will read and debate the issue.

1 user banned, 1 user close to rage quit, should be enough drama for one day

*closed*
Previous - 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 - Next
RefreshSubscribe to this thread:

You need to be logged in to post in the forum.

Search the forum:
Search   for   in  
All times are CET.
Search CSDb
Advanced
Users Online
deetsay
Mibri/ATL^MSL^PRX
QuasaR/CENTRiC
Alakran_64
Mason/Unicess
Guests online: 130