Log inRegister an accountBrowse CSDbHelp & documentationFacts & StatisticsThe forumsAvailable RSS-feeds on CSDbSupport CSDb Commodore 64 Scene Database
You are not logged in - nap
CSDb User Forums

Forums > CSDb Discussions > RECHARGING THE CRACKING SCENE
2005-04-19 03:08
Duke
Account closed

RECHARGING THE CRACKING SCENE

I wrote the following article for the last edition of Vandalism News, and I am just curious to hear your take on the subject matter. Here goes:

The cracking scene is doing well these days. Groups are active, and crackers are able to keep busy with games supplied to them by sceners who finecomb the history books of games released, games uncracked. They are out there, and why they were not cracked in the first place is a mystery - but questions like these aren't asked, instead we rejoice over the heightened activity in the scene. I spoke with Jucke in this issues Board Report, and he fondly remembered back to the days when the Christmas rush actually meant a ton of games and the most activity the cracking scene could hope and dream for during the year. Now it's the biggest slump of the year. Sceners are busy with real life, and the unreleased games can wait. The competition isn't there for the individual games. Sure, there are a few new games released, but mostly they are done by people with a clear link to the scene, and because of that you will actually see the game developers supplying a cracking group with the game. Unheard of, you say? Nevertheless it's the reality. No rush. It's all been planned out nicely. It's a different game indeed.

This morning an idea came to me. I am not sure if the idea will work in terms of getting any support from the scene, but I do think it would be an idea that could lift the cracking scene to the status it once had - with all the competition for which you could possibly hope. The idea, in a nutshell, is to announce a list of, let's say for argument sake, 10 games at a set time every Friday. The games would be selected at random, and yes, the games would all very likely have been cracked and released in the past. Alright, I hear the screaming already. Yes, I realise the games have already been released, and that as far as making the game available to players would be a mute point. The game, after all, is already out there to be had. Pal and NTSC. No, that isn't the point at all. The idea is to feed the cracking scene the ability to once again compete on a same-level playing-field. Imagine this scenario if you will: 10 games are announced on a web site by an independent body ... someone with no interest in who may get the first-release at the end of it all. Once the list has been announced, the cracking-groups would then have to acquire the games. Sounds easy? Nope. They would have to acquire, and prove, that they have the original when they crack it. Sure, there may be some crackers who luck out by knowing someone sitting on the original. There are people who have collected all originals since the dawn of time. But even so ALL should be able to get hold of the games announced, and that leaves just one factor: time! Yes, time. The same factor that meant anything back in the golden days of the cracking scene. Who can get the game first, crack it, release it, or even better, have it NTSC fixed before the release. That is the idea. The games on this list should, however, not be counted as valuable as a brand new and un-released game, but the difference could be made up in the release charts. One point separates the two different types of releases, let's say. The un-released, new game, is still king. But the game from the list is still good, and would be a way for cracking-groups to earn some prestige points by beating competitors to the punch.

The idea will be controversial. I know that. But even so it is an idea worth debating, at best. It would benefit the scene, and no doubt I would enjoy seeing the competition again out there, and checking out the new versions of old games. Defender of the Crown, put out again? Pirates? Better versions, different intros, groups of 2004 behind them? I think it would be a killer. Also, the idea of, let's say Defender of the Crown, placed on the list, and then we all wait to see who gets to put it out first. Imagine the competition right there. Will it be Nostalgia? Onslaught? Triad? FairLight? Or maybe even the 5-10 new cracking-groups that would pop up to take advantage of the added games to the playground. I get pretty excited over this idea, and you should, too. Because, after all, the alternative is no competition. And what is the value in that?

... 15 posts hidden. Click here to view all posts....

2005-04-22 16:47
Tch
Account closed

Wouldn´t it be really easy to cheat?
As was mentioned somewhere else in the forums:
-download the other cracks
-rip the trainers
-pack it using exomiser
et voila..
Besides,would it be allowed to use e.g.Vice, so it is easy to save stuff from $0000-$07e8.
I remember what a pain it could be when games used those locations.
2005-04-22 17:24
The Overkiller
Account closed

Of course TCH, but for example we prefer to release games never trained before or less trained. Obviously if someone release a +4 version of xxx game when another group already released a better version, this is another point of course. Before do a relase I think that it's important to have the knowledge of the previous releases of the past.
2005-04-22 18:26
Tch
Account closed

Quote: Of course TCH, but for example we prefer to release games never trained before or less trained. Obviously if someone release a +4 version of xxx game when another group already released a better version, this is another point of course. Before do a relase I think that it's important to have the knowledge of the previous releases of the past.

First: Lots of respect to you and your mates!

Hadn´t thought about the point you´re making.
I thought all games would have been done by now.
But to merrit the compo some credit,the ´victim´ should be a good multi-filed game.
How many of those are still out there,untrained?
2005-04-22 19:20
The Overkiller
Account closed

Hehe to be sincere this "compo" thing is totally senseless at my eyes. We are too much busy in real life that it's a miracle if we still spend time on cracking. Btw: I'd be happy to see in a next future a brand new Brutal crack, your work on Rolling Ronnie was really ass kicking!!!
2005-04-22 19:47
Tch
Account closed

Thanx man,I tried many ways to free up space for our intro.
But even our smallest one (see Intrology) wouldn´t fit.
It was one of the few really good games back then and I wanted to give it the honour it deserved.

As for a new crack from Brutal...
I have just talked to R.C.S. and he is eager to do some.
Be patient,there are still some Brutal intros unused. ;)
2005-04-22 23:07
Jazzcat

TCH: I have some nice game originals cracked only once that I would be happy to pass over.

2005-04-23 17:46
The Arrogance

Duke, funny idea, indeed, but sorry, i don't really think that anyone seriously being able to give some competition in cracking (coz of family, job and other things important to your personal life) is in the position nowadays to spend the needed effort and time in order to give a durable life to it. In case someone would really play with the thought to get active again, it would make a lot more sense to get some cracking-group running with success on a system that is up to date, not dead since years! Anyway, closing your eyes and doing something, just to do it whatever it takes to prevend its justified end, doesn't really make any sense, does it ?!

L8er.
T.
2005-04-24 11:57
drake
Account closed

nice discussion, reminds me about those games done by groups who never were finished. f.e. nipson made a preview version of a shooter with animations in it. (the animations were in 3d like in 'cow 'demo from antic)

and i know there are some more of those games and never uotworked ideas. so why not only crack but pick up those prvs?

-2 start press any key..where is the any key?-
2005-04-24 17:27
Duke
Account closed

Arrogance, I think for a lot of us there is not alternative to the c64 scene. It is true that you can join a team on the PC or any of the consoles, crack a bunch of new games, and probably even feel a bit of a rush doing so. But it's not the same. Just like cracking oldies and putting them out as a new release is not the same, either. If the c64 crashes, then that's it for my computing days. I'll load up my xbox to play FIFA Soccer, but I won't play the whole group thing again.

Luckily, though, the scene is doing really well, and its kicking ass all over again. It's not as crowded of course, but then we don't have as much time as we used to either. It all seems to make sense. I remember the old days when it seemed like a full-time job to be part of a c64 group. Nowadays we can all be part of it, feel slightly competitive, and still have time left over for our job and families. So all in all I'd say the scene as it is now fits like a glove to all of us!

Cheers,
Duke
2005-04-27 15:46
Crossfire
Account closed

Quote: Duke, funny idea, indeed, but sorry, i don't really think that anyone seriously being able to give some competition in cracking (coz of family, job and other things important to your personal life) is in the position nowadays to spend the needed effort and time in order to give a durable life to it. In case someone would really play with the thought to get active again, it would make a lot more sense to get some cracking-group running with success on a system that is up to date, not dead since years! Anyway, closing your eyes and doing something, just to do it whatever it takes to prevend its justified end, doesn't really make any sense, does it ?!

L8er.
T.

Yea, absolutely nothing wrong with the idea in itself, but I - unfortunately - also doubt that it is impossible to gather enough people to make it a REAL compo....I mean, you'd need a s**tload of people, a compo with eg. 5 people is hardly worth it ;-) I think probably most of the skilled crackers of past and present tense are all too busy with real lifes - I mean, we all grew up after all (who would have thought? *LOL*)

And I completely agree, even if a lot of groups went active and started cracking again - it still would not be the same. That scene is gone (the cracking scene, so keep your pants on) and so are those days. What made it interesting was the fight to get the stuff on the boards etc. in time before anyone else did it, and these days that rush doesn't exist. Everybody are releasing games totally out of competition with others and it's just as easy as THAT to upload onto the net.....for that part, the thrill is gone!
Previous - 1 | 2 | 3 - Next
RefreshSubscribe to this thread:

You need to be logged in to post in the forum.

Search the forum:
Search   for   in  
All times are CET.
Search CSDb
Advanced
Users Online
E$G/hOKUtO fOrcE
Mr. Spock/T'Pau
Alakran_64
tlr
iAN CooG/HVSC
Guests online: 139