Log inRegister an accountBrowse CSDbHelp & documentationFacts & StatisticsThe forumsAvailable RSS-feeds on CSDbSupport CSDb Commodore 64 Scene Database
You are not logged in - nap
CSDb User Forums

Forums > CSDb Discussions > Why bother doing a new release
2006-02-22 02:25
wozza

Why bother doing a new release

For the past year I have been busy learning to code; yes I was a swapper and never had the time to learn, but now I can. I want to release something(~) and add back to the scene. I thought it would be great for a one-man show to thank some of the fine help here. The code would not the best, but certialy not the worst.

My question to everyone is: Why should I bother releasing an intro or little demo that would be old-skool, when I see the majority of user comments on releases shit-can everything? Would I get nailed because I'm a newbie coder? Or are there more mature minds here?

I need encourgement!

Wozza.

... 71 posts hidden. Click here to view all posts....

2006-02-26 04:22
Wanderer
Account closed

INC SIMONS_CRY_FOR_ATTENTION_IS_NOTED

LDA SIMON_AND_MCFLY_PURSUING_ME
STA 0wn3d

JSR ALWAYS_ON_THEIR_MINDS

JSR TOO_BUSY_WITH_MY_FOUNDATIONS_FISCAL_YEAR
JSR TO_SPEND_ON_KOOKS
JMP MEETINGS_WITH_ACCOUNTANTS_N_PROJECT_MANAGERS
JSR ONLY_ON_HERE_TO_CHECK_MESSAGES
STA NO_TIME_FOR_FORUMS

LDA I_LIKE_THE_WAY_YOU_DANCE_SIMON
STA MY_OWN_PERSONAL_CLOWN
CMP CAN_YOU_DO_THE_CHA_CHA_NEXT_FOR_ME_LMAO
2006-02-26 04:29
Style

yup, we broke him :(

Sorry Canada.

2006-02-26 04:37
Wanderer
Account closed

<Message ignored>

Not bad, less than 8 minutes for you to login and reply.

I love my new personal dancing clown. Can you do the macarena for me next? :)

Come on post another reply, you know you WANT to :D
Please keep it up, while I head off to sleep. Just like Mastercard, 0wn3rship has its privileges. :)
2006-02-26 04:47
Style

oh, so since he lost, he's gone into the 'lalalala Im not listening' phase and the 'I knew youd do that, I am in control of you' phase.

I guess he'll follow up with the typical abusive pm, and then more pseudo-psycho babble.

Learn to lose freak.

cu next time

2006-02-26 11:05
Laxity

Yeah, I see the relation between the topic and the last few comments.. (now, this IS irony).. Stop it, or take it to the PM, we're not interested in your infantile despute.

bla $ffff,x indeed!
2006-02-26 12:07
A Life in Hell
Account closed

Quote: INC SIMONS_CRY_FOR_ATTENTION_IS_NOTED

LDA SIMON_AND_MCFLY_PURSUING_ME
STA 0wn3d

JSR ALWAYS_ON_THEIR_MINDS

JSR TOO_BUSY_WITH_MY_FOUNDATIONS_FISCAL_YEAR
JSR TO_SPEND_ON_KOOKS
JMP MEETINGS_WITH_ACCOUNTANTS_N_PROJECT_MANAGERS
JSR ONLY_ON_HERE_TO_CHECK_MESSAGES
STA NO_TIME_FOR_FORUMS

LDA I_LIKE_THE_WAY_YOU_DANCE_SIMON
STA MY_OWN_PERSONAL_CLOWN
CMP CAN_YOU_DO_THE_CHA_CHA_NEXT_FOR_ME_LMAO

Your code is broken. Everything below the JMP is unreachable.
2006-02-26 12:12
Style

guffaw! :)
2006-02-26 12:14
Style

Oh, and so sorry to do this, but!

Back to topic - Wozza, Im a coder in West Oz. If you need some encouragement/advice/help with anything flip me an email.... always happy to help out a fellow aussie.

2006-03-10 18:30
Wildstar

Quote: I feel your words apply to me a lot /o\ :)

a, maybe the problem is that I think everyone can code as good (? hehe:) as me, thus when I see a prod under my level I think they didnt put the effort in there.

b, even if someone is not as good, I think he should put some effort into entertaining. yet another 8x8 plasma or etc. is sadly boring for some on the scene for 10+ years. (altho some might find it nice evenso, but thats not me)

so what I say is to simply give your best, but in the meantime think on the poor ppl that have seen the old routines 100 times already, add some new ideas into it, make it fresh.

btw, if you are beginner that doesnt mean the demo must be oldskool, take a trip in the later triad / fairlight, hollowman, puterman demos, and be up to date, do something exciting.

you have to decide wether you want to really entertain the scene, or to release something that already was seen a zillion times...

new coders are always warmly welcome, if you watched closely.

I would like to add a comment to what Oswald as well as resound what Oswald said.

If you use 'old skool' routines. Mix it in a new creative way. It would be good to be creative. When thinking of the demo, develop a presentational concept from beginning to end. Be loose about it though and be realistic.

Don't attempt to do something you can't do until you understand the pre-requisites to doing it, first. In short, you end up going nowhere.

For starters, working in multicolor bitmap mode, hires bitmap and charset mode(s) would be a good place but think creatively. Borrow the creative concepts you have seen in many new demos. Look at Crest and demos from both NTSC & PAL land and think about new combinations and work creatively. Of course, your first demo will not be that intense as the well experienced but give it a presentation piece with creativity and excitement.

From a n00b to a n00b.

2006-03-10 19:00
Wildstar

Quote: Just because you code something, doesn't mean you MUST release it.

And Wanderer, I don't think people will complain that a demo from a beginner doesn't contain record breaking stuff. They will complain however when it's shit.

But the fact that you mention stuff like plasma etc. only proves that you yourself haven't exactly got a clue what a good demo makes ;Z

I think by far the best example of how to do it is RadiantX: his demos don't contain very hard coding but from the beginning it was clear that he has a certain quality and a certain originality. That is what this scene needs imho, not just coders but coders that can bring something extra.

[delete]
Previous - 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 - Next
RefreshSubscribe to this thread:

You need to be logged in to post in the forum.

Search the forum:
Search   for   in  
All times are CET.
Search CSDb
Advanced
Users Online
Steveboy
DJ Gruby/TRiAD
Guests online: 111
Top Demos
1 Next Level  (9.8)
2 Mojo  (9.7)