Log inRegister an accountBrowse CSDbHelp & documentationFacts & StatisticsThe forumsAvailable RSS-feeds on CSDbSupport CSDb Commodore 64 Scene Database
You are not logged in - nap
CSDb User Forums

Forums > CSDb Discussions > Fix / improve ancient releases?
2006-11-25 21:15
Master of Chaos

Fix / improve ancient releases?

Hello .

There are some ouf our releases from 86/87 which eiher containes bugs or are worth to be improved a little bit.

Not that many that there are great differences , but, for example more userfriendly ( level and traiber chioce has to be improved) or fixing the speed of a sound routine.

In fact, they are still as there were programmed in that days, but i am thinking of doing some minor updates befor uploading the stuff.

What do you think, leave the stuff as it was done years ago or better implement some modified code?

greetz

Master of Chaos

... 2 posts hidden. Click here to view all posts....

2006-11-25 22:45
Zyron

Just let it be.
2006-11-25 22:54
Radiant

I agree, a release is a release and should be preserved like it was when first released.

Making new releases out of bugfixes of old stuff is fine with me, though, if anyone gives a fuck about my opinion on these matters. :-)
2006-11-26 08:58
A3

I agree if you want to fix someting in a release first upload the old version and then do a seperate release for the new version.
2006-11-26 12:11
Tao

The only type of fixes I see as acceptable is fixing issues that prevent demos/games from running on certain hardware. Such as people messing with $D030 (fucking things up if you have a C=128), things that crash when you have a cartridge connected, loaders that only work on some drives, invalid assumptions about ROM content, how RAM is initialised, etc.
That is, things that are TOTALLY broken.

Going through old stuff to fix raster timing, sprite flickering, ugly graphics, etc would be history falsification. I want my memories to be real; I don't want to discover that the otherwise perfect Digital Delight suddenly has had the slight flickering in the right sideborder fixed.

I don't want Red Storm to be "re_made [...] with a little help from some harder code and a PC", as Wile Coyote puts it. In fact, I think it would kill the magic of the demo.

Sure, some demos haven't rooted themselves in my memory to the point where I remember and love the flaws just as much as the brilliance, but then again, those demos would probably not suddenly turn great just because they are fixed either...
2006-11-26 12:21
tlr

Quote:
The only type of fixes I see as acceptable is fixing issues that prevent demos/games from running on certain hardware. Such as people messing with $D030 (fucking things up if you have a C=128), things that crash when you have a cartridge connected, loaders that only work on some drives, invalid assumptions about ROM content, how RAM is initialised, etc.
That is, things that are TOTALLY broken.

In my opinion it is a _must_ that the original unmodified release is added.
A fixed version must be clearly flagged as fixed, and preferably by whom.

There is no easy way to determine what was intended with the original code. Even though it looks broken on current emulatiors/hardware it might have an intention.
If the original release is manipulated, that intention is lost.
2006-11-26 12:38
Mace

I agree that it should be clear that one is dealing with a fixed version. Also, when publishing the fixed version, also make the original unfixed version available at the same time and place.

That said, I really wouldn't mind if someone felt the need to flicker-fix something or whatever else. Everybody should do as he or she sees fit.
2006-11-27 10:22
ChristopherJam

Yup, I think upload as it originally was as a minimum, then add a clearly labled 'fixed' version as a separate entity if you really want.
2006-11-27 15:45
Graham
Account closed

Don't fix the old stuff. History is as it is, and if you want to release better stuff, just do new releases instead of fixing old stuff.
2006-11-27 16:49
chatGPZ

i agree with tao for the most part...

also keep in mind that there is stuff out there that still doesnt work correctly (or at all) in emulation. i had one crack in my collection labeled as "broken" for quite some time, until someone pointed out that it infact works on the real thing.
2006-11-27 17:15
TDM
Account closed

I'll add my 2¢ her too...upload the original *AND* the fixed versions; being certain to clearly label the fixed version as fixed. I also agree that uploading only the fixed and not the origial versions amounts to tampering with history.
Previous - 1 | 2 - Next
RefreshSubscribe to this thread:

You need to be logged in to post in the forum.

Search the forum:
Search   for   in  
All times are CET.
Search CSDb
Advanced
Users Online
CA$H/TRiAD
Rock/Finnish Gold
sebalozlepsi
Oswald/Resource
Jetboy/Elysium
d'Arc/Topaz Beerline