Log inRegister an accountBrowse CSDbHelp & documentationFacts & StatisticsThe forumsAvailable RSS-feeds on CSDbSupport CSDb Commodore 64 Scene Database
You are not logged in - nap
CSDb User Forums

Forums > CSDb Discussions > Getting back C64 music compo at BP?
2007-03-22 10:22
CreaMD

Getting back C64 music compo at BP?

"Quote:
there is only one way to bring them back: release stuff. (oldschool music practically IS the c64 music compo anyway)
"

I don't think that getting more releases will change the trend. When there is lack of interest, the ammount of releases won't change it, it will rather make it worse (boredom, annoyance, laugh). The mainstream visitors aren't target audience for "oldschool" productions. ...whether you call it nostalgia, retro, vintage or oldschool, it's still considered something "unmarketable" for bigger audience, but...

...the Demobit'95 party had 1000 visitors and all scenes. Demobit 98 kept just c64 scene and the compos were (due to various reasons) a fiasco. The last Demobit (2001) had about 90 visitors and no 8 bits in "portfolio".

Oldschool scenes are small and this weakness is also their strength. Do we *really* need big parties to feel accepted? ;-) Do we *really* need mainstream parties to get stronger? Will they help us to survive? I don't think so.

It might sound a bit exaggerated, but I think that no party can survive without oldschool. It's not the group that assures interest of sponsors, it's not the group that brings the major money in, but that's the one that brings the spirit... the soul, the tradition... and (believe it or not) maturity.

We are around/over 30 and still dig this old crappy machine. What's the chance that we will suddenly drop our interest in it now? How many of people being active, or having roots in "the scene" are coming to major parties? I won't say any numbers, but I'm sure it's not negligible item.

I wonder why I'm only person caring about C64 music compo at major german scene party? ;) Why I'm only person that thinks that C64 music scene is alive and kicking and that there is no problem to organise quality music compo. The problem isn't in the quality of the scene, but in the communication. Dropping the C64 music compo (in 2005) was a clear signal for me that BP orgas don't communicate with contemporary C64 scene and don't respect it.

... 7 posts hidden. Click here to view all posts....

2007-03-22 16:29
hollowman

Quote:

It might sound a bit exaggerated, but I think that no party can survive without oldschool. It's not the group that assures interest of sponsors, it's not the group that brings the major money in, but that's the one that brings the spirit... the soul, the tradition... and (believe it or not) maturity.

2007-03-22 17:24
CreaMD

Quote:
"I don't see the problem. Most (if not all) Oldschool Music releases will be C64 SID tunes anyway, and other oldschool tunes have to be really good to win against SID. "

Graham, yeah I think so too, I was agains cancelling of C64 music compo.

Krill, yep I think it's okay to give chance to other plattforms, but I'm not keen on cancelling SID compo and especially not due to reasons that KB has provided when we had that "infamous" clash.

Groepaz. I understand that it's hard to find dedicated organisers and that they aren't obliged to save the plattform just because "we" want it, but as you said you disagree but understand. I disagree and I said why. It was a long discussion and I don't want to repeat myself here. It's not worth it.

Quote:
eases. don't expect "your" compos to be an eternal part of the party, if the majority of the entries are 1985 style "joke" productions

I don't expect anything like that. I demand Demo,Gfx, Music, 4k. compos for C64. Whether there will be brutal preselection and only 5 best tunes will get into the compo. I don't care if they rule-out/kick out fake demos (I would do the same). I don't ask anyone to waste time on saving of the dying scene. (well.. it's dying for so long that it came out of fashion to mention it).

Simply. I'm against removing of C64 music compo at BP. It's not because presence of C64 music compos at BP is crucial for "saving of the movement". It seems that some people got impression that I'm doing all this because I have some special emotional attachments towards this plattform, but If I had something like that I would probably run fluffy site reviewing demos sids and remixes instead of doing a news site about this lazy and ungrateful scene ;-)

Dalezy. Yeah I sometimes have this kind of theatrical gestures. Can't control it ;-)

Quote:
Music compos are mostly interesting for musicians, I usually consider that part of the party schedule as naptime. A good or great 4k by krill and hopefully atleast one decent demo is all I've come to expect from the c64 compos at breakpoint, so the .hu domination last year was a nice surprise, but i dont think that will happen again(please prove me wrong). I think the c64 gets more attention and respect than it deserves considering the quality and originality of the entries

That's a problem of organisation. With good organisation and preselection the music compo (and that doesn't mean just SID compo) can easily be highlight of the party if it has one or two great musics. I've experienced non-musicians talking about C64 compo musics (e.g. at Scenest'97). All that depends on music that gets played. I don't think we sceners have changed that much that music is no longer having any impact on us. Good music is half of the success. That counts for demos too.

Quoting hollowman
Nigga please

I didn't mean you (or even myself) of course.
2007-03-22 17:39
chatGPZ

Quote:
I don't expect anything like that. I demand Demo,Gfx, Music, 4k. compos for C64.

... which ofcourse is nonsense to do. what you should demand is ppl releasing c64 demos, c64 music, and c64 gfx. in good amount and quality to justify a compo of their own.
2007-03-22 17:54
Oswald

what groppie said
2007-03-22 18:51
CreaMD

Quote: Quote:
I don't expect anything like that. I demand Demo,Gfx, Music, 4k. compos for C64.

... which ofcourse is nonsense to do. what you should demand is ppl releasing c64 demos, c64 music, and c64 gfx. in good amount and quality to justify a compo of their own.

Exactly. If there comes no "stuff" the compo is not held. But whete the "stuff" is coming every year and compo is cancelled, I'm against. Simple as that.

2007-03-22 20:18
null
Account closed

Quote: Quote:

I wonder why I'm only person caring about C64 music compo at major german scene party? ;) Why I'm only person that thinks that C64 music scene is alive and kicking and that there is no problem to organise quality music compo. The problem isn't in the quality of the scene, but in the communication. Dropping the C64 music compo (in 2005) was a clear signal for me that BP orgas don't communicate with contemporary C64 scene and don't respect it.

Music compos are mostly interesting for musicians, I usually consider that part of the party schedule as naptime. A good or great 4k by krill and hopefully atleast one decent demo is all I've come to expect from the c64 compos at breakpoint, so the .hu domination last year was a nice surprise, but i dont think that will happen again(please prove me wrong). I think the c64 gets more attention and respect than it deserves considering the quality and originality of the entries.

I agree on this... music compo is a good time to do some other stuff... I mean, I can't remember any of the tunes after the compo anyway...
------------------------------------
Knoeki/DigitalSoundsSystem/SwappersWithAttitude
2007-03-22 20:22
Scout

Quote: I agree on this... music compo is a good time to do some other stuff... I mean, I can't remember any of the tunes after the compo anyway...
------------------------------------
Knoeki/DigitalSoundsSystem/SwappersWithAttitude

Good point.
When (or *IF*) we going to plan X2008 I vote for pre-selecting the tunes for the music-compo.
We had like 25 tunes last X... that's just too much.

And maybe we have to think of something special to keep hollowman out of his bed during music-compo's.
2007-03-22 20:54
CreaMD

Quote: Good point.
When (or *IF*) we going to plan X2008 I vote for pre-selecting the tunes for the music-compo.

And maybe we have to think of something special to keep hollowman out of his bed during music-compo's.

This year we had 7 c64 tunes 6 atari tunes and about 6 speccy tunes. It was a bliss. We didn't have any breaks between the compos, everything went smoothly and didn't notice anyone leaving their seat. I'm also for preselection 10 tunes per party shold be enough. As for preselection system I think something similar to "c64.sk sidcompo jury voting" could work the best. If there will be lests than (let's say) 12 tunes no preselection will be made

2007-03-23 10:44
dalezy

Quote: Good point.

certain compos aren't made for everybody =)
i for one am not too interested in things like photo-compos or whatever else and fresh got stomped up in party-schedules in the 2000s.

unless i'm totally wrong there, i would say that musick compos are mostly important for musicians (partaking or not).
2007-03-23 11:30
CreaMD

Quote: certain compos aren't made for everybody =)
i for one am not too interested in things like photo-compos or whatever else and fresh got stomped up in party-schedules in the 2000s.

unless i'm totally wrong there, i would say that musick compos are mostly important for musicians (partaking or not).

I agree with both.

However, *music* is very important part of our lives. You can't watch pics or demos while walking/cycling/driving a car, but you sure can listen to your favourite tracks anywehre anytime. I've heard that some people listen to SID musics in CARS while going to parties! Even to the compo musics!?! Perverts.. ;-)
Previous - 1 | 2 - Next
RefreshSubscribe to this thread:

You need to be logged in to post in the forum.

Search the forum:
Search   for   in  
All times are CET.
Search CSDb
Advanced
Users Online
encore
DJ Space
Knight Rider/TREX
Apollyon/ALD
Hok/Remember
TheRyk/MYD!