Log inRegister an accountBrowse CSDbHelp & documentationFacts & StatisticsThe forumsAvailable RSS-feeds on CSDbSupport CSDb Commodore 64 Scene Database
You are not logged in - nap
CSDb User Forums

Forums > CSDb Discussions > Questions about the demo scene of today
2002-04-08 20:31
Richard

Questions about the demo scene of today

What do you think of the demo scene of today?

Here's my thoughts. Demos improved in the past and it is generally extremely difficult to come up with really cool effects. However, does this really matter? Demos are meant to be entertaining. Take Royal Arte, Deus Ex Machina and many other demos for example. I've been ever so impressed with the work put into the demos. They were entertaining.

As long as these demo groups are enjoying theirselves coding demos, or attending these scene parties, a massive thumbs up to them all :)

... 61 posts hidden. Click here to view all posts....

2002-05-22 15:18
WVL

Raven :

I'm not angry or anything :) I just want to get a new quality release in my empty hands! Spend all the time you think you need to polish it and make it perfect, I've got patience.

Also, I don't think there are a lot of guys just sitting around doing nothing, the number of really good guys CAN be counted on one hand!
2002-05-22 15:23
WVL

sorry about the double post, but here goes :

Raven : at x2001 Insomnia ran on a 1571 drive, maybe that's the problem? What kind of loader are you using? what's weird is that side 1 didn't seem to have problems with the drive, and the drive is in *fantastic* condition, it's not misaligned a bit..

2002-05-23 08:20
raven
Account closed

@WVL:

Seems you dont remember correctly..

First time, the demo ran on a C64/1541 combo, where it failed duo to bad loading.

Then you guys switched to the 128D and it ran perfectly.

So, the only thing i can think of is that 1541 drive..

I myself own about 7 1541 drives, 3 1571 and one 1570.
The demo runs 100% on all of them so i cant blame the loader here..

It also ran fine on Vip's 1541mkII in the party-place.

Like i said, i wasnt able to make that problem happen again at home so i cant even try to 'fix' it.

But, i have an idea. On the demo disk, i'll include a small tool which will load & calculate checksum for all the demo files and let you know if the loader is working 100% on your drive.

Good enough?

Raven/64Ever
2002-05-23 10:38
hollowman

>Crest & Oxyron working closely together, GRG churning out >vast amounts of quality music for anybody who asks >politely, Jailbird doing the same for graphics and these >are random examples, there are more.

wow...you can get material from people outside your group? amazing :)

anyway, cooperating always seem to be difficult. even though i often have a quite clear idea of what i want to accomplish i never manage to do that, because i suck. also i like to decide everything myself and this does not work that good. when i ask goto80 for a tune in a certain style, i usually get something different in return. always great music, but usually not what i had in mind. then there is the thing with deadlines, wiggen usually completes the fonts in time, like the night before the party. i got the music for 'pretending to see the light' at floppy so synching stuff in the demo to the music was quite impossible. wiggen and goto80 are however very reliable compared to a few other people who i wont mention here:) but i can imagine that working together with lots of people, perhaps living in othe countries is a nightmare.

to avoid such problems i try to do most of the stuff myself, this has its disadvantages like the demos looking like crap but atleast they get done. and you will just have to live with "hollowmans trademarked bad graphics"
2002-05-23 11:24
Cupid

Actually that different countries shouldn't be an issue, when all of the developers are on the net and can transfer stuff to their c-64s.

The only obstacle can be language or people thinking it's good practise to download emails once a month :)

In the internal bit of the padua page we have a collection of all unreleased logos, musics, fonts and routines and a preview section, the works.

A real timesaver...

But style IS an issue, and my experience so far was that the more people work on a production, the harder it is to style it correctly without deviating into different small styles.
2002-05-23 11:25
T.M.R
Account closed

> wow...you can get material from people outside your
> group? amazing :)

Sarky git. =-)

Seriously, if i'd tried asking someone of Jailbird's calibre for a picture five years ago i'd have been laughed at (maybe it's easier if you're in a "big name" crew...?) i do speak from a little experience, check the credits for "Contraflow" where i ended up doing half the sound work myself because nobody else in Cosine had time and nobody outside seemed willing to help short of T.L.F. and we were just using his old tunes as supplied by Kenz.

Okay, so it's not working together in the way you mean, but then again we have different approaches to demo coding.
2002-05-23 13:13
WVL

raven :

You're right, my memories were a bit clouded :) forget about the loader, bcoz it's very well probable the 1541mkII wasn't in that great order.. I should've use the 1571, as that one was in really good shape, but then again, some loaders don't like 1571's, do I didn't use it for the compo. Anyway, make me happy very soon please :)!
2002-05-23 16:26
raven
Account closed

I was lucky..

When Vip came on board we both had jobs with 24/7 inet connection. We worked infront of computers so basically we were both on ICQ all day, every day.

I think i barely did any work for a long time.. we spent hours every day discussing design, gfx, music and exchanging stuff.
We sent previews to one another on almost a daily basis!

That was a great experience, getting almost immediate feedback (sometimes it was immediate.. i'd send a piece of code and Vip would watch it on the CCS the second he got it).

I didnt quite feel we live in different countries :)

Raven/64Ever
2002-05-24 01:21
Stryyker

Although being able to develop with others in person would be nice. Some things are hard to explain etc. It has been something I have hated about living in Australia, all others still doing stuff like code, gfx and music do not live here :(
2002-05-24 11:25
Cupid

Strykker it works on the job as well: Distributed development, actually sometimes the time difference can work in favor for you as well. :)

For example I do my video conference with my developers in India when I leave the office, and next morning when I come in the work is done :) (let's not start talking about quality though)

But working next to another is a lot faster, that is true.
Previous - 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 - Next
RefreshSubscribe to this thread:

You need to be logged in to post in the forum.

Search the forum:
Search   for   in  
All times are CET.
Search CSDb
Advanced
Users Online
WVL/Xenon
Paladin/G★P
Slaxx/Q/HF
icon/The Silents, Sp..
Mike
Toxic/Code7