Log inRegister an accountBrowse CSDbHelp & documentationFacts & StatisticsThe forumsAvailable RSS-feeds on CSDbSupport CSDb Commodore 64 Scene Database
 Welcome to our latest new user Defilus ! (Registered 2024-10-04) You are not logged in - nap
CSDb User Forums

Forums > CSDb Discussions > C64 output capture and Deus Ex Machina border bugs
2008-08-24 20:17
Mr. Mouse

C64 output capture and Deus Ex Machina border bugs

Okay, so I've been playing around with some capture devices to start recording some demos and other stuff.

This proved to be a nice little challenge, especially with the mainstream capture hardware that's out there, as none of them support 50 fps progressive signal.

Of course, I could get some expensive equipment, but there are other ways. Right now, I'm using a Canopus ADVC110 to capture the PAL signal,and with some AviSynth scripting to fix a field vertical displacement I can get VirtualDub to compress a clear image to whatever format I wish.

The nice thing about this method is that you get to see the full sized PAL signal, and not just what my C64 will show on the screen (which is as you know somewhere along the lines of 384x272,borders inclusive).

So I tested and recorded a few demos, such as Deus Ex Machina and Bonzieed.
http://c64.xentax.com/media/demos/deus_mpeg_divx_medium.avi
http://www.xentax.com/taoc/bonzied_compressed.avi

Of course, one thing I noticed is the border bugs. Any coding that deals with removing borders will have to be timed to make whatever is on screen appear without flicker.

Bonzieed starts off with an intro part, for instance, that has mistimed rasterlines at the far ends of the image. This does not show on my 1084S, but if I adjust the horizontal display of the monitor to show the boundaries of the image, I do see them.

Deus Ex Machine has some "bugs" in two parts, at the lower border.

I would be curious to know if anyone has actually coded his border stuff to exploit the full (visable + invisable image) resolution, even if parts would be hidden for the average viewer?
2008-08-24 20:50
chatGPZ

you cant do most stuff without "bugs" in the invisible area of the picture. (seems to be a bit pointless to care about too =P)
2008-08-24 20:54
Mr. Mouse

Quote: you cant do most stuff without "bugs" in the invisible area of the picture. (seems to be a bit pointless to care about too =P)

I know ;) Nevertheless, if you have some "time" to spare, the least one might do is hide some satanic message there that captures the soul of all who lay eyes on it. =)
RefreshSubscribe to this thread:

You need to be logged in to post in the forum.

Search the forum:
Search   for   in  
All times are CET.
Search CSDb
Advanced
Users Online
Erol
krissz
Holy Moses/Role
hedning/G★P
Brush/Elysium
Sande/Hokuto Force