Log inRegister an accountBrowse CSDbHelp & documentationFacts & StatisticsThe forumsAvailable RSS-feeds on CSDbSupport CSDb Commodore 64 Scene Database
You are not logged in - nap
CSDb User Forums

Forums > CSDb Discussions > downvoting
2008-11-26 21:33
celticdesign

downvoting

howdy sceners,

i dont know if this was discussed before, but i am worried about this topic for a while now.
downvoting seems to be a real pleasure for some beings. but it doesnt make sense at all and falsfied the statistics. i know, there`s no accounting about taste. but is there any reason, for e.g., voting that less for maniacs of noise? just have a closer look to their stats! 4 votes, yet, with only 1 and 2 given points are really a joke to me!! surely for others too. this applies also for alot of other pretty cool productions.
however, maybe this rubbish may be stopped by changing the vote rules!?
some things that crossed my mind...
voting less then 5 points shouldnt be possible with an hidden pseudonym. the "TOP" categories should be separated by the release of year. an all time favourite list for each category can co-exist for sure :-)
i personally think that it does not make sense comparing demos from 2008 with demos from 1998 oder 1988.
Voting less then 5 points should be stated with a comment. week-minded comments and/or votes should be deleted by the admins.

there are for sure many other things that could be changed for a fair ranking and voting system. maybe i am absolutely wrong or just getting old (or both).
however, just post your ideas and comments. i am really curious ...

peace and keep on rockin`

... 28 posts hidden. Click here to view all posts....

2008-12-11 17:49
Danzig

to get more votes is pretty easy! just make them all PUBLIC and those downvoting will get (down)votes for them/their stuff aswell :D democracy, ah well, nonsense :)
2008-12-11 22:15
celticdesign

true... at least i wont take it to serious and dont care anymore... thanks for your comments and point of views...

but i still think it should be possible to make it more balanced. maybe the top 10 ranking should have one simple rule... they can be only reach the top when they get over 100 votes, so some imbecile downvotes haven't that big consequence for the rating.
2008-12-23 02:51
Wildstar

LOL, doesn't matter to me. I don't use the voting system to determine anything. I look at the demos and screenshots. I know a single screenshot doesn't tell everything about a demo but of course multiple screenshots showing different parts can give a idea of how it might look.

If it looks really crappy (to me - its subjective), then I might not look at the demo so much but certain stuff that A) catches my attention and B) Holds it - certainly gets a great chance of me viewing it.

Demos is an art and the key to art is to A) catch the attention of the audience and B) Hold their attention.

2009-02-24 20:31
celticdesign

howdy, this is still gnawing on my mind... ;-)

what today come up to my head is:
you shouldn´t take the average percentage, in meaning of
"CSDb users have given a weighte daverage vote" for building up the rankings. but... you should simply count the total of given user points.
even voting just a single point would add ONE point to the total. so the small-minded dudes cant downvote a shit for stupidity when they give only one single point. ok, you can still push the topics, but you cant fuck everything off...
i really would like to know how the rankings would look like with this method ;-)

wutdayazincabout?

laterzzz....
2009-02-24 20:41
chatGPZ

that sounds like a great idea - IF you could make every user vote for every production. in any other case that idea is completely stupid =)
2009-02-25 09:34
der_ton

#33, #34: It's not completely stupid, because it gives the "popular" productions an advantage. It's the same as the average vote, but multiplied with the number of voters. It shouldn't replace the current rating system, but it could be an interesting table to look at, maybe in the fun stuff section.
2009-02-25 10:23
chatGPZ

such a point system works in a compo, where most people vote for most entries. but here, where only a minority of the users actually vote, and then they vote for a small subset of all entries its completely pointless. the numbers would be even less meaningful than those of the current system.
2009-02-25 10:59
enthusi

upvoting would become the rule, hehe. Seriously.
Also I already presented the obviously best idea once here somewhere :-)
Each person has a list of his 10 fav releases. (maybe 5 for each category or whatever).
The rank of a release is measured by the times its on someones list. More work for the server but foolproof as far as I can see.
I'd also be willing to sell this idea to CSDb *g*
But noooo, voting is a no-go here (partially for good reasons).
2009-02-25 11:26
jailbird

Just get over it.
2009-04-04 04:04
SIDWAVE
Account closed

Why dont you do this ?
Anonym vote != allowed anymore

Best solution.

Then we can see who the fuckheads are.
Previous - 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 - Next
RefreshSubscribe to this thread:

You need to be logged in to post in the forum.

Search the forum:
Search   for   in  
All times are CET.
Search CSDb
Advanced
Users Online
christwoballs
Guests online: 81
Top Demos
1 Next Level  (9.7)
2 13:37  (9.7)
3 Coma Light 13  (9.7)