Log inRegister an accountBrowse CSDbHelp & documentationFacts & StatisticsThe forumsAvailable RSS-feeds on CSDbSupport CSDb Commodore 64 Scene Database
You are not logged in - nap
CSDb User Forums

Forums > CSDb Discussions > The group Laxity
2002-05-01 19:03
Richard

The group Laxity

What has happened to the crackers in Laxity lately? The last time they firstreleased something was in December 2001. We've not seen anything from Laxity since. Did my fake group put them off cracking in the scene? I don't know what's happened to Laxity.

Of course I am no longer doing my fake group, as I have realised how much damage I have caused to myself - making myself look an idiot, and of course the scene. I'm glad some cracker game me friendly advice to cool it. And so I have :) No more stupid fakes, after that SealSEX affair.

I know that after all these years since 1988, 'Excess' are still active. They might reach the very top of the cracker charts, if they keep getting these first releases :)

... 3 posts hidden. Click here to view all posts....

2002-05-02 17:14
cadaver

Hmm...I think "zero in the past few years" isn't entirely correct.
2002-05-02 17:16
cadaver

But I agree, hacking software for compatibility is a great idea.
2002-05-02 18:18
Warbaby
Account closed

Cracking on the c64 is not dead!
I guess groups as Onslaught, Kempelen, Triad, Remember and Excess just don't get enough respect from some people.
2002-05-02 22:19
The Overkiller
Account closed

We in Hokuto Force released a jewel version of Menace a couple of months age and we are kickin' out also a version of Indiana Jones 3.

The Overkiller
2002-05-03 01:12
Stryyker

Doing oldies or demos does not give a group 1st release points. As far as I know some groups only do firsties like Onslaught and Laxity. Onslaught Antiques does the oldies.
2002-05-03 07:22
taper

Thank you for your nice words, Hoth! I would like to give my view on the present situation.

Ofcourse there are less originals available today, but it's not impossible to obtain unreleased games even today. As I see it, there are four cathegories of games to obtain and release nowadays. Previews can be found in more than one of these cathegories, aswell.

1.New commercial games, often shipped via Go64! (nowadays sadly only the german edition, since the english edition is on ice) or Commodore Scene, but also available via mailorder from Protovision and other small companies.

2.Old commercial games, that never was released before (mostly because of the fact that there was so many new games out at certain times that the cracking groups didn't bother with the smaller titles, even if they in many cases are average games). This cathegory also includes games that were finished, but never sold, because of copyright reasons, bancrupcy or internal hazzles in the software houses. Here are still many, many titles to be found, for those who have the strength to search.

3.PD games, some put on the coverdisk of Go64! and Commodore Scene in addition to the few commercial games on those disks, some released only over the net. Here comes an ethical cracker question. Is it okay to release PD games? They are ment to be spread, so why bother? In my opinion, it is okay to put out PD games, if they are improved, trained, shortend, bugfixed or ntsc fixed. Others can have other views on this, but the TRIAD way is never to release a PD game without making it better in some way. Anyone who saw our mailversion of Metal Warrior 3, for instance, can agree on this... :)

4.Old games that are allready cracked and available since long. This is what people refer to as "oldie-cracking". I have nothing against oldie cracking if the "new" crack is a lot better than any of the previously existing ones. For instance, there are some games that never were cracked properly, or only very bad versions. But, I see no point whatsoever in releasing Ghost'n'goblins for the 7623:th time, not being able to add any more reasonable trainers, 1 block shorter or something similar. That is, for me, just a waste of time.

Be sure, TRIAD will be there putting out new goods for you, until the very day when we find it impossible to obtain anything worthy. Then it's Game Over. But not before. We don't give in easily, if someone missed that...
2002-05-03 12:24
cadaver

Yes, some good points there Taper. One problem might be that as knowledge of programmers is accumulating, current/future productions could already be NTSC compatible, harddisk compatible, load themselves fast etc. "out of the box". So there's not much to do short of training them :)
2002-05-04 12:54
taper

Quote: Yes, some good points there Taper. One problem might be that as knowledge of programmers is accumulating, current/future productions could already be NTSC compatible, harddisk compatible, load themselves fast etc. "out of the box". So there's not much to do short of training them :)

I never saw a game that couldn't be improved in any way. Yet. I wouldn't worry about that, if I were you. Not every gamecoder is as talanted as you, and probably never will be. My main worry is the shortage of originals.

Training, by the way, can be an art of it's own. Some games are a lot harder to train than first meets the eye. And about HD compability, it's great if it's works, but for 95% of the people interested in playing new c64 games I am most sure they prefer a really quick 1541-fastloader, than a HD compatible one that is slower on a 5,25" drive. This is because of the fact that 95% doesn't own a HD, and probably never will... I have a CMD one myself, but still would prefer a fast 5,25" drive loader than something slower that works on every funky but rare device. Then again, that's just me...
2002-05-04 15:07
cadaver

Thanks, I'm flattered :)
I hope I will offer some challenge next time around...
2002-05-05 19:58
Richard

I'll also be working on intro-linking for Hokuto Force, due to the fact that a intro editor from another group is always used.
Previous - 1 | 2 - Next
RefreshSubscribe to this thread:

You need to be logged in to post in the forum.

Search the forum:
Search   for   in  
All times are CET.
Search CSDb
Advanced
Users Online
Marco/DDM
kbs/Pht/Lxt
Guests online: 355
Top Demos
1 Next Level  (9.8)
2 Mojo  (9.7)