Log inRegister an accountBrowse CSDbHelp & documentationFacts & StatisticsThe forumsAvailable RSS-feeds on CSDbSupport CSDb Commodore 64 Scene Database
You are not logged in - nap
CSDb User Forums

Forums > CSDb Discussions > Votes for Inspiration
2013-05-21 22:12
Magnar

Votes for Inspiration

Well, where do I go to find inspiration?

The answer is mostly to CSDB (or Youtube).

So, lets see... Magnar Harestad

To be honest, how should I get inspired by only 15 people voted on my music skills? I mean, does not any else care about my music released in demos as Wonderland XI, We Are New, Lash, Sidelined etc?

If only 15 people has taken the time to vote, then why should I put efforts in composing new sid tracks for new demos? Is it really worth it?

I would rather have a 1000's giving me a score of 1, than 15x give me a average score of around 8. At least in the first example, I would know I sucked at composing. :)

Cheers

... 28 posts hidden. Click here to view all posts....

2013-05-27 10:36
NecroPolo

Quote: Quote:
Seriously, been looping the track for a couple of times now :)

you are a brave man, try this then (we did not send this to any newspapers for some reason =P) worth noting from the newspaper demo: this and that (sorry german... ehrm.... "lyrics" =D)

Quote:
i make music out of joy, cant resist.

same here =) most of the time i can resist releasing it though. or even playing it without headphones =)

In the punk style context, all the tracks have their charm I think :)

Not for the masses for sure but you know what? I find more life and natural anger in raw stuff than overproduced barbie crap. Also it doesn't mean that I'm a fun of the stlye. I used to be, because of the rawness, 20 or so years ago.
2013-05-27 10:43
NecroPolo

Quote: @Groepaz: ..sort of brave of you to share this with us.. If i should say something positive, the extreme compression ration gives it all a certain touch.. :).

Now.. should i also dump my old demo tapes from my trash-metal band here!? I see a flood coming, and it actually feels quite out of topic of this whole site.

Good thought but you're right, it may not fit the content of this site. But an another thread, maybe?

All my sincere condolences go for the feelings of Magnar because of the stoopid pointless voting thing as I know it may seriously hurt some folks and some downvoting MFs enjoy it too much perhaps, but listening these old demos is the only thing that has some meaning in this thread really :)

Not to mention Oswald's girly pic. I'm still missing a funny cat.
2013-05-27 10:43
chatGPZ

Quote:
@Groepaz: ..sort of brave of you to share this with us.. If i should say something positive, the extreme compression ration gives it all a certain touch.. :).

haha. i've posted that crap before, even here i think :) no more brave than uploading crappy intros from the same era i think =P
2013-05-27 10:45
NecroPolo

Quote: Quote:
@Groepaz: ..sort of brave of you to share this with us.. If i should say something positive, the extreme compression ration gives it all a certain touch.. :).

haha. i've posted that crap before, even here i think :) no more brave than uploading crappy intros from the same era i think =P

+1 :D
2013-05-27 11:21
NecroPolo

Quote: Quoting Magnar
It is about feedback. If none, then inspiration to continue making SIDs will die. Time would be better of doing something else.

This is plain bullshit.

Whether there is feedback or not, making SIDs should always be for making SIDs. I do it just for the love of doing it on SID, not to please somebody else or to receive feedback.

Sure, it is beautiful if somebody likes it and then makes a favour to give some feedback. But even if it would not be there, I would do SIDs as long as I live.

Again, I can't agree more! Respect man.
2013-05-27 18:53
chatGPZ

Quote:
Now.. should i also dump my old demo tapes from my trash-metal band here!? I see a flood coming, and it actually feels quite out of topic of this whole site.

apropos, you should post them! how could they be out of topic in a thread craving for inspiration? =) (and censor needs more metal, where is the eddie damnit =D)
2013-05-28 18:12
redcrab

@magnar: In many cases (in the real world) people are given more and more positive feedback and horrays up to the point when people think youre getting tired of hearing it or already know.. All of a sudden silence can be the proof youre good or at least reach up to the expectations of what you do. I have been there many times myself in different contexts and never really get used to it :)
2013-05-28 19:15
algorithm

Quote: I never do scene stuff for other's pleasure (if they like it, it is their fault :-P), but for my own satisfaction only. Thus i don't care about the opinion of others or the amount and result of votes. I simply touch stuff that promises to be fun for me. That is why i recently even did a sid, and be sure, in opposite to you i suck at it :-) Also take a look at many popular sceners, there's not much votes for their functions as well. So if you really are into feedback, better focus on personal feedback, like via PM or at a chat at some party.

Well written there.
2013-05-28 20:33
Magnar

Quote: Quoting Magnar
It is about feedback. If none, then inspiration to continue making SIDs will die. Time would be better of doing something else.

This is plain bullshit.

Whether there is feedback or not, making SIDs should always be for making SIDs. I do it just for the love of doing it on SID, not to please somebody else or to receive feedback.

Sure, it is beautiful if somebody likes it and then makes a favour to give some feedback. But even if it would not be there, I would do SIDs as long as I live.

Maybe this is just me, but we certainly ain't on the same level on this.

The reason why I create SIDs are to enhance demo productions with sfx/music in order to make the visuals grow and flow better.

If given the choice of making a SID tune compare to Cubase MP3 tune, I would do the MP3. That's just me. I guess that is also the reason why I left C64 back in 1990 for Amiga and released most of my music on the Amiga.

Of course, I also do Music sometimes just for plain fun. Mostly when I do that I play real instruments like piano, guitar or drums. But honestly, most of my music I do to fit a purpose - not just because I have lots of spare time and decides to "love doing SID" so I sit down and spend my valuable spare time on doing just SIDs for the rest of my Life. - Unless it serves it purpose, and continously feedbacks are giving me new reasons to continue supporting new projects.

I am totally respecting your choices, but they are really far off from mine.

Edit:
I must say that the best feedback I've ever experienced is visiting and talking to people at different parties like LCP, Datastorm, X, Gubbdata etc.

Lets meet out in reality instead. Cheers!
2013-05-28 22:28
chatGPZ

make compo tunes then - there is nothing like a cheering crowd live at the party :)
Previous - 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 - Next
RefreshSubscribe to this thread:

You need to be logged in to post in the forum.

Search the forum:
Search   for   in  
All times are CET.
Search CSDb
Advanced
Users Online
grennouille
kbs/Pht/Lxt
Trash
Exploding Fi../Techn..
Stryyker/Tide
sebalozlepsi