Log inRegister an accountBrowse CSDbHelp & documentationFacts & StatisticsThe forumsAvailable RSS-feeds on CSDbSupport CSDb Commodore 64 Scene Database
You are not logged in - nap
CSDb User Forums

Forums > Requests > Wizardry I Scenario Disk/Char Editor?
2013-09-19 11:21
WinstonSmith6079
Account closed

Wizardry I Scenario Disk/Char Editor?

Does anyone know if there ever was a Scenario Disk editor and/or a char editor for Wizardry: Proving Grounds of the Mad Overlord? I sure would love to have one!
2013-09-23 21:30
Twoflower

Winston,

If you'd look around a bit on the web, you'd find that the format for the characters is very well documented (see http://www.zimlab.com/wizardry/wizardrygame/pages/w1/cheat.htm) you could quite easily edit whatever change you wish by yourself - using a PC-based hex-editor or emulated disk-edit tools on the emulator.

Very few people would bother to make a tool to cover this issue since the tools for doing the same thing is out there, for grabs. There is an old character editor (Wizfix - http://www.zimlab.com/wizardry/wizardrygame/pages/downloads/wiz..) for the Apple II. That one could possibly be converted. If you really are desperate, try bothering the actual coder of the C64 version - Anton Treuenfels. And no, I didn't really mean that.

What i'm trying to say here is: use a PC based hex-editor - you could even live-edit the memory used by the VICE-process. The documentation for the data structure is out there. You'll get how to do it if you are willing to learn by doing and by hacking around.
2013-09-24 00:30
WinstonSmith6079
Account closed

<Post edited by moderator on 5/12-2018 02:26>

Hmm, maybe I can myself, maybe....

Okay, I'm trying to use Style's DirMaster v2.2009 for this, though I've previously used that pretty much only to edit disk-directories.

The page at your first link says:

[...]Your character information is
usually located on track $1A, sector $01 through
track $1B, sector $0F (track $1D for "Proving Grounds").
This information is $CF bytes long and is formatted
as follows:

and then there's a chart. In the top row of the chart, it says that byte $00 (of track 26, sector 1) is supposed to contain "number of letters in name". But I dunno which name that might be as I have more than one char on that Disk, each with a different name. Anyway, that byte reads $00, containing nothing.
2013-09-24 20:36
Twoflower

The data won't be at the described location on the C64 disks, as the diskstructure is different. The structure of the characters - on the other hand - will be. You'll have to find the location of the characters on the disks first. Easiest way would probably be to name a character something which would be easy to find and start there?
2013-09-25 01:29
WinstonSmith6079
Account closed

<Post edited by moderator on 5/12-2018 02:26>

WOOOOO! Thanks, Twoflower! I fixed the trouble!

Ya see, I'd--I guess--made a new char sometime or another (maybe when I was very, very stoned?) and then actually gave it a password-lock! But I never could remember at all even making the damn char much less whatever was the fucking password, making for a locked and completely useless char that couldn't be played or deleted or anything, stuck there on the Disk!

Well thanks to your guidance, along with Style's DirMaster program, I found the char on my Disk and then removed the locking password, WOOOOOOO!

I had to change four (4) consecutive bytes to $00 (as seen above), starting at track 24, sector 17, byte $10, which was the "number of letters in password", and that was $03. Heh, the password was "ASS", perhaps because that's what I was for doing something other than what I normally do, snowballing into all this extra damn work!

Thanks again, man! You rule! Yay for Twoflower, WOOOOO!
2018-09-05 05:33
The Alien
Account closed

I know this is a bit of an old post. But, I just wanted to say that first off, I know there is/was a Wizardry 1 Character Editor made for the C64. I had it from Qlink many years ago (I might still have it), however I have tried searching various disks I have with no luck. Searching the internet seems to not come up with anything.

As such, I've begun working to write a program that will provide such since it looks like the original one might be lost to time.
I'll try to post updates once I have completed my version of such an editor. If anyone else is still interested, and would like to test and such, please let me know.

P.S. Since this editor will read/write to your scenario disks, I would advise making a backup copy and edit that, just in case the editor has bugs and corrupts the data.
2018-12-05 02:09
Twoflower

The Alien,

No one would be happier than me (well, perhaps Dr. Strange would, come to think of it) to see some work done regarding characters in good old Wizardry. Please do notify us if you make some progress.
RefreshSubscribe to this thread:

You need to be logged in to post in the forum.

Search the forum:
Search   for   in  
All times are CET.
Search CSDb
Advanced
Users Online
Acidchild/Padua
Andy/AEG
psych
Sentinel/Excess/TREX
Courage
MightyAxle