Log inRegister an accountBrowse CSDbHelp & documentationFacts & StatisticsThe forumsAvailable RSS-feeds on CSDbSupport CSDb Commodore 64 Scene Database
 Welcome to our latest new user lotus_skylight ! (Registered 2024-09-25) You are not logged in - nap
CSDb User Forums

Forums > C64 Coding > C64 Codebase
2008-06-28 10:55
Frantic

C64 Codebase

Hello!

It was a while ago now that C64 Codebase Wiki opened its doors. I would just like to encourage good coders sympathetic with this project to actually add some code there. This is important in order to keep the quality of the site. I feel that the quality is somehow fading a little with the stuff that has been added during the last 6 months, to generalize a little.

If you are a decent coder: Just think for a moment about all those sources that you have lying around on your C64 disks and PC harddrives. Codebase needs you!

http://codebase64.org/doku.php

If someone feel like donating some cool stuff, I could use that as prices in some kind of add-good-stuff-to-codebase-competition or so.

A good codebase is a good base for the future C64 scene! ;)

... 127 posts hidden. Click here to view all posts....

2009-01-06 14:42
chatGPZ

i dont know but.... it's a wiki you know. its pointless to dump here how you think it should be ...
2009-01-06 15:01
Frantic

I agree that the site needs a bit more structure. Groepaz is right in general, but even though I mainly provide the site and not its contents I would like to maintain some control over the general site structure. I think Oswalds suggestions are all good. If nobody disagrees with them, I will do something like that shortly.

I had a quick look into the permissions issue now and while I still don't know exactly what caused the problem, I have at least fixed the problem itself. If the permission problems appear again, please tell me.

Thank you all for providing thoughts and bug reports on the wiki.
2009-01-06 15:06
Oswald

Quote: i dont know but.... it's a wiki you know. its pointless to dump here how you think it should be ...

the reason is we had disagreed on this with frantic earlier, so I just suggested before making changes also iirc frantic kept the rights of editing the main structures.
2009-01-06 15:13
Frantic

Well.. To be more precise. I think it is kinda hard to make a clear distinction between what is "demo coding" and what is "VIC coding". In theory it is simple, but in reality many of the articles are just as much about "VIC" as about "demo coding". (I am quite fine with the other categories suggested by Oswald though).

For this reason, I still think that VIC and demo coding should be on the same page. If you (anyone) disagree, please state more precisely what parts of the current VIC-and-Demo-page that should go on a "demo coding" page and what should go on a VIC page.

In any case though, Mace is of course also right when he points out that some parts of the wiki are rather messy due to too much content on one page (especially the VIC/demo-page). So... More structure is needed, yes.

I will have a look at it.

EDIT: What kind of content exactly would go on a "pure" Demo coding page? Seems to me that there aren't really much content available on "coding demos in general", apart maybe from Putermans tutorial or so.
2009-01-06 15:29
chatGPZ

imho its pointless to divide "demo" and "game" coding ... many techniques are useful for both.

why not make a generic structure (without any of the "demo" and "game" cathegories) and additional portal pages for demo/game/tool/whatever related stuff ?
2009-01-06 15:30
Oswald

vic&demo coding seperation:

VIC:

Basics
HW tricks
Custom modes
(all the sprite stuff below this seems to be rather game related)

demo

drawing on the screen
softmodes for effects
Articles on demo effects
Various VIC related
Demo Programming Tutorials
Sourcecodes for demo parts
2009-01-06 15:32
Mace

VIC coding:
- $D011, $D016 and $D018 tricks (FLD, VSP, FLI etc.)
- sprite tricks (flexers, multiplexers and 9th sprite stuff)
- in short: anything that is based on $Dxxx register-freaking

Demo coding:
- scrollers (the 'difficulty' is not the VIC stuff)
- general displaying of video modes, static VIC stuff
- bitmap plotting
- basic (not BASIC) stuff like sinus sprites and DYCPS
- logo swing (and tech-tech, but this could be a VIC trick too)
- zoomers
- in short: mostly done in RAM, the VIC only supports.

Also, I don't think the chapter "Demo records and world firsts" belongs in the coding section. This is general background information as long as no code is attached.

[edit]Seems Oswald and I agree for the larger part :-)
2009-01-06 15:37
chatGPZ

but why do things like "scrolling" or "basic sprite stuff" belong into "demo" cathegory? i like the idea with portal pages more, then it could get a proper link from both game- and demo- related pages :)
2009-01-06 15:43
Oswald

Quote: imho its pointless to divide "demo" and "game" coding ... many techniques are useful for both.

why not make a generic structure (without any of the "demo" and "game" cathegories) and additional portal pages for demo/game/tool/whatever related stuff ?

thats a point, but having stuff like scrolling, collision detection, sorting plexers, game map, enemy object handling, etc. in its own game section decreases the content on one screen (if it would live with the demo stuff) and makes it more managable.
2009-01-06 15:51
Oswald

Quote: but why do things like "scrolling" or "basic sprite stuff" belong into "demo" cathegory? i like the idea with portal pages more, then it could get a proper link from both game- and demo- related pages :)

yeah, scrolling, setting up basic screenmodes, basic sprite setup etc. should be all belong to VIC. its 2008, since 20+ years scrolling stuff and setting up koala gfx doesnt counts as demo fx. its basic knowledge.
Previous - 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 - Next
RefreshSubscribe to this thread:

You need to be logged in to post in the forum.

Search the forum:
Search   for   in  
All times are CET.
Search CSDb
Advanced
Users Online
psenough
Guests online: 146
Top Demos
1 Next Level  (9.7)
2 13:37  (9.7)
3 Coma Light 13  (9.7)