Log inRegister an accountBrowse CSDbHelp & documentationFacts & StatisticsThe forumsAvailable RSS-feeds on CSDbSupport CSDb Commodore 64 Scene Database
You are not logged in - nap
CSDb User Forums

Forums > CSDb Entries > Release id #244483 : Oceanborn
2024-07-23 23:36
Raistlin

Release id #244483 : Oceanborn

TheRyk mentions here that this pic being animated makes it a one file demo. Is that definitely the case for all GFX? I’ve seen many animations on CSDb that were tagged as gfx but which included simple animations.

What’s the definition for whether a graphic is “animated”?

... 21 posts hidden. Click here to view all posts....

2024-07-24 18:19
4gentE

Complicated.
The entry that started this conversation got user rated as Graphic I’d say, no matter the category. For now at least. I don’t think users actually feel this (beautiful thing) is a 9.4 One-File Demo. Perhaps it’s best to leave the categorization to authors when it comes to prods released out of compos. They know the contexts in which their prods got made.
2024-07-24 18:52
chatGPZ

What an author thinks it is and how something is classified in the db really are two different things. For the db to make any sense, the same rules must be applied to each entry.
2024-07-24 18:59
hedning

It makes little sense to recategorize all, say, Finnish Gold music entries in every compo as one-file-demos either. Makes it hell to search for specific music entries and sort stuff.
2024-07-24 19:19
4gentE

Quote:
What an author thinks it is and how something is classified in the db really are two different things. For the db to make any sense, the same rules must be applied to each entry.

I understand the concept of classification. But I can’t help but feel this cleanup would severely curtail some authors. Something like: “Dear Flotsam. Unfortunately you can’t keep producing your awesome graphic design to go with your music. Let alone animations. If you continue, every future music entry from you that contains other elements than music will be classified as a demo.” Or this: “Dear Sarge. Unfortunately you can’t keep asking your musician friends to compose awesome music to go along with your gfx/anims.” Do we really want that? Perhaps a compromise could be classifying prods dependent on whether a coder was involved. As in, if a coder (and custom code) was involved then it’s a demo. If readymade displayers/SID players were used, it’s whatever author says it is. Not that this would actually clean anything up, but it resembles a “rule”…
2024-07-24 19:41
chatGPZ

If whatever classification on csdb affects what you "can do" then you are doing it wrong in the first place.

And yes, certain rules may not make sense. However as long as no rules exist things make even less sense. (And adding credits to rob hubbard to all and everything that uses hubbard tunes will never make sense for that matter).
2024-07-25 02:05
Raistlin

GPZ: in the absence of “rules”, there’s still common sense. The scene doesn’t need rules for something as simple as deciding whether a release is made to show off effects, graphics or music.

What next? Reclassify cracks as demos because they feature an intro on the front? It’s not just a game any more, after all, and often the intro is more interesting than the game itself?

Or, as I say, we simply use common sense.
2024-07-25 11:24
Jetboy

Quoting Raistlin
GPZ: in the absence of “rules”, there’s still common sense.

There is no common sense, everyone has one's own.

Some have more than one, especially here on CSDB.
2024-07-25 18:10
Burglar

Quoting Raistlin
GPZ: in the absence of “rules”, there’s still common sense. The scene doesn’t need rules for something as simple as deciding whether a release is made to show off effects, graphics or music.

What next? Reclassify cracks as demos because they feature an intro on the front? It’s not just a game any more, after all, and often the intro is more interesting than the game itself?

Or, as I say, we simply use common sense.
+1 from me :)
2024-07-25 18:36
Frantic

In line with the common sense remarks, I would say the concepts of the scene are better understood in terms of family resemblance than as a matter of strict formal categories. From that point of view it is not strange at all if it is a bit tricky to come up with a list of necessary and/or sufficient conditions to define each of the categories.

In fact, I find it fascinating to what a large extent a simple scheme of classification (demos, cracks, etc) actually works to classify the vaaaast majority of all those thousands and thousands of releases that are entered into CSDb. It kind of illustrates to what a large extent people — a lot of people — have oriented themselves towards a few relatively intuitively graspable categories over the years, in many many instances, in such a strikingly orderly fashion.
2024-07-25 23:23
DKT

For me, the classification of the demo is quite simple (for the case when it's released out of any compo). This production should be classified as a demo or intro. If anything moves on the screen (and it's not an equalizer), it's already a demo or intro.
Previous - 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 - Next
RefreshSubscribe to this thread:

You need to be logged in to post in the forum.

Search the forum:
Search   for   in  
All times are CET.
Search CSDb
Advanced
Users Online
Sentinel/Excess/TREX
csabanw
Smasher/F4CG
Guests online: 89
Top Demos
1 Next Level  (9.7)