Log inRegister an accountBrowse CSDbHelp & documentationFacts & StatisticsThe forumsAvailable RSS-feeds on CSDbSupport CSDb Commodore 64 Scene Database
You are not logged in - nap
CSDb User Forums

Forums > C64 Productions > Balloonacy 2 idiocy
2005-12-05 22:53
Wanderer
Account closed

Balloonacy 2 idiocy

I have to feel so bad for Richard, being brave enough to release his own game without trainers.

Within 24 hours of his releasing a game, there appears a 2 trainer version. An hour or two later a 3 trainer version. The next day there's a 4 trainer version and finally a 6 trainer version.

I'll hold out for the Nostalgia +20 version with hi score saver. *groan*

Richard must feel like Brad Pitt and Angelina Jolie feel when the National Enquirer vultures swoop down upon them. Granted you're open game when you release something but it's pretty laughable to see so many people pounce upon Richard's game like a homeless man chasing a bagel rolling down the street.

Let's clear this up to save time:

MEGA TRAINER
=============
Change $7003 to JMP $2c00

2c00 jsr $70a1
2c03 jsr $ffe4
2c06 cmp #$2a
bne XX
inc $09
XX rts

This plays the music while giving you the key when you hit the star key.
======================

Infinite Lives: EA EA EA (three NOP's) at $394e

==========================

Infinite time: EA EA EA at $3ba1

==========================
Sprite Collision off = RTS at $3a9d

Save $e000-$f000 when you go to save the memory.

We need a starting level option and a button to hold down for temporary sprite collision bypass. I'd laugh but I'm sure in a day this WILL happen. Mark my words.

*sighs* Note to Richard, perhaps in your next game you could include a hidden trainer with every conceivable option. Granted your game was difficult to play but I hate to see it re-released without your intro and directory tree.

PS. All the above was done without looking at any of the versions out there. I became bored :)

... 192 posts hidden. Click here to view all posts....

2005-12-17 19:27
MagerValp

The golden oldie cracks rule. Anyone who thinks that they are useless because some 14 year old did a rush job 20 years ago needs their head examined. Fungus, Zyron, GRG, and the rest of you, keep the perfect versions coming!

PS: How come no one's made the C128 version of Ultima V run on the C64, with music and all? ;)
2005-12-17 20:25
The Overkiller
Account closed

This MagerValp dude made me cry of joy ;-)
2005-12-18 02:34
Steppe

So what about that Ultima IV version for the 1581, MV? ;-)
2005-12-18 03:20
Wanderer
Account closed

Quote: The golden oldie cracks rule. Anyone who thinks that they are useless because some 14 year old did a rush job 20 years ago needs their head examined. Fungus, Zyron, GRG, and the rest of you, keep the perfect versions coming!

PS: How come no one's made the C128 version of Ultima V run on the C64, with music and all? ;)

Here's a history lesson for those who don't understand why there was a need to fast crack:

In the old days, which some of you may or may not remember, when a crack was made it was done so with a need for speed.

I can remember many nights where there was a race to crack originals and get them uploaded to the American BBS's before a competing group did - not only was the US import group frantically waiting upon the overseas cracker but the cracker was frantically trying to crack it before another European did.

I will never understand to this day why things were done that way. I can't understand why you just didn't release YOUR version if it worked. I remember Boba Fette told me that we would only release our Ikari version *if* the Euro version that beat us, was bugged. In a normal world, you'd release your own version and let the people decide what version to use.. but in the c64 world only ONE version was allowed to be uploaded. Example: three Euro groups cracked Cybernoid II at the same time, if we got our version uploaded first then Zenith's US contact or BROS US contact would not upload their version and the poor Euro who had to rush his crack, would have to resort to slow mail trading to get their copy out.

So yah, buggy versions do exist and there is a reason for it. Should we fix these games? Absolutely.

But uhm I don't remember any bugs in BC's Quest for Tires, nor any bugs in about 80% of the re-cracked shit being put out. You cannot tell me that every release put out by oldies groups was originally bugged.

We justify it with remarks like "this one had 20 trainers, the original had 3", "this is IFFL packed, the original was 30 files" or "this has docs and a high score saver".

You know it's true.

But in a world where you can buy hard drives that are in the hundreds of GIGABYTES, I don't think trimming 500 bytes from a game or reducing it to one file is really any reason to re-release it 20 years after. There will always be excuses made as to why something was re-released. I support the bug-fixed versions but a quick check of 99% of these oldies releases shows nothing to justify a re-release other than boredom, lack of new software and a desire to release something.

I seriously doubt anyone plays the games that are put out, and a quick glance shows that many of these oldie labels who spend time on their +22HS versions, see only 5-6 downloads of their release.

Again, just one person's opinion. We can argue about it all day, all week, all year, but it won't change my opinion that these oldies groups release 99% shit and 1% necessary fixes.

(I'm not going to follow up to this because you know where I stand lol)
2005-12-18 08:16
Fungus

Ugh, I swear you just try to make us mad...

Want quality? try Defender of The Crown from nostalgia... beat it , I dare you, then, now, in the future. Good luck, as I doubt you can crack it, no group but ESI and US! ESI also left in the fatal crash bug, and removed parts to even fit it 2 (!!) sides. Ours is ONE side, and a good deal LESS than one side, 100% , sure there is trainers, why not...

I hereby challenge Wanderer, oh mighty scener of years past, to take his foot out of his mouth long enough to beat ANY single N0S crack , from release 100 on, in ANY way. Of course, this is a hollow challenge, becuase of course he is unable to do this, he lacks the skills and knowledge to do such things, and surely he would have to rush to get it out on time, buhauha.

The rules of the 1stie scene are quite simple, release a 100% working crack as 1st. Later on it was required to be ntsc fixed, level packed and trained in order to qualify as a 1stie, but hey in 1990 youd already packed your bags. So obvoiusly you wouldnt know that, I mean, history stops when Wanderer leaves the room.

Either put up, or shut up.

2005-12-18 08:59
Wanderer
Account closed

Poor Fungus, you are delusional. This is not a cracking competition. First of all, BC's Quest for Tires doesn't need a fix. Fort Apocalypse did not need a fix. Ghostbusters did not need a fix.

Kikstart II did not need a fix, it worked 100%. Ghosts and Goblins was a 100% game already.

*cough* Gridrunner from all the way back in 1982 was a perfectly working game. 1984's Boulder Dash had no issues with it whatsoever. 720 was working fine.

Oh here's a good one, Popeye with 10 trainers *snarf*

Let's not forget 1984's Space Taxi which needed no fix at all and had a single sector error for protection (a simple removal of the jsr $ffcf:cmp #$30:jsr $ffcf:cmp #$32) but you had to go and one file it and train it too.

Dude, I totally understand the scene has changed and the focus has moved from first, fast releases to fixing games that were never working 100%. I am in agreement there.

* but *

Look at the above games, and look at Nostalgia's own web page. Many many many of those games do not require fixes, they don't even need trainers. But you had to go and take games that were almost 23 years old, crack the easiest protection in the world and train and release them.

Why?

This is where my argument comes into play. You can get into Defender of the Crown all you want, but it doesn't change the fact that you keep cracking and releasing SHIT, utter SHIT.

I mean Fort Apocalypse? GRIDRUNNER?!?!?!?!?!?! How in the world can you even dare justify re-releasing those? You should be humiliated.

Jeezus, I still have an original of Jumpman kicking around and I have an original of a game called P-Man's Revenge that nobody seems to have (not even Gamebase). However as these games are 20 years old, work fine on PAL and NTSC, and were already released I'm not going to re-crack and say "wow look at this, I added 10 trainers to this game... you gotta grab it"

Case in point: 22 people have downloaded BC's Quest for Tires (Hokutu Force) from 2003. That's not even one person a month.

Look, if you want to fix games and toot your horn about being on par with ESI, go ahead. But please stop releasing complete and utter shit like Space Taxi, Gridrunner, blah blah that works fine on both PAL and NTSC and that we don't need to see another version of.

There is no justification at all for most of the games I've seen from you. Oh my god... Sammy Lightfoot has seen one whole download. Maybe that has something to do with the fact it is so old I still hadn't hit puberty when it was first released. But no, you had to release it.

Just because you can crack, you can train, is not reason enough to put out shit like that. I can crack my fair share of games (nothing like Defender of the Crown) and I can train as well as the others, but I exercise what is called self restraint.

If you can't see my point after reading this message you must be related to Helen Keller.

I am baffled how so many people can sit and say this is acceptable to re-release 100% working games mixed in with real bug fixes. It's absurd. No wonder so many people left the scene when "oldies" groups put out crap like you have.

With over ** 2300 ** reads of this thread I have been asked to write about this for a well known disk mag. I don't see any point in hammering out the SAME opinions DAILY to those who cannot understand my opinion. So gather up your members of your oldie groups and validate one another's feelings. It should be in the next issue of this disk mag.

p.s. I'm not trying to make anyone mad. I don't own your feelings, you do. I just think the scene has scraped the bottom of the barrel when you put out Sammy and BC to name just a few. *shivers*
2005-12-18 10:08
The Overkiller
Account closed

22 ppl downloaded our BC version (and for the hell, we're HOKUTO not Hokutu), so ? We put the link also on Lemon forum and our site, surely will be more than 22, and in any way if only 22 ppl liked our version it's ok for me. Also I don't know how many other versions has the original loading picture, maybe it's doesn't mean nothing for you but means preservation for me. And instead stay here to waste time why don't you release that P-Man's Revenge game ? I'll be the first one to be happy to see your work....
2005-12-18 16:47
MagerValp

Quote: So what about that Ultima IV version for the 1581, MV? ;-)

Yeah, I know, one day I'll get back to work on that... I'm really not a very good cracker, and the disks are in some kind of Apple II format with a translation table. I wrote a util to extract the files, but there are a bunch of crosslinks and some other weirdness...
2005-12-18 16:54
MagerValp

Quote:

We justify it with remarks like "this one had 20 trainers, the original had 3", "this is IFFL packed, the original was 30 files" or "this has docs and a high score saver".

Yes, and what exactly is wrong with that? I like IFFL packs, 1581 compatibility, title screens, docs, and hiscore savers. If I want to play a game, I first go to Remember and Nostalgia's pages, since they have the best cracks around. Older releases are only worth checking if you can't find anything there.

Welcome to 2005 where quality counts, and not speed.
2005-12-18 17:26
chatGPZ

Oh dear. Another Ex-so called-Elite overestimating their overglorified Past. *rolls eyes*
Previous - 1 | ... | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 - Next
RefreshSubscribe to this thread:

You need to be logged in to post in the forum.

Search the forum:
Search   for   in  
All times are CET.
Search CSDb
Advanced
Users Online
jmin
Eddie
Unlock/Padua/Albion
Viti/Hokuto Force
mutetus/Ald ^ Ons
DeMOSic/HF^MS^BCC^LSD