Log inRegister an accountBrowse CSDbHelp & documentationFacts & StatisticsThe forumsAvailable RSS-feeds on CSDbSupport CSDb Commodore 64 Scene Database
You are not logged in - nap
CSDb User Forums

Forums > CSDb Entries > Release id #150735 : I Am the Flashing C64 Cursor +D
2016-10-04 03:42
hedning

Release id #150735 : I Am the Flashing C64 Cursor +D

The "discussion" in the comments section escalated quickly, so it was moved here, where it kind of belongs. The comment section should be about the release itself only, not the game that was cracked or philosophy about what should be released or not.

User Comment
Submitted by Jazzcat [PM] on 4 October 2016
Whilst the heart of the release group might be in the right place. I think this might be a bit too much also (I respect we have our own ideas on what we should release and not release, with our own reasons).

I agree that a lot of people are unfortunately (in my view) favourable on this style (albeit people not from the cracking scene); I am curious on people *in* or have been in the cracking scene and their views, will they be as supportive? Possibly people do not want to rock the boat and keep their thoughts to themselves?

This could be a broader discussion for the forums: e.g. releasing games made by members of own group, releasing CSDb games (when and when not to). Releasing games code in Basic etc. Of course people can do what they want. We all have made errors in judgement, but how to get the quality/baseline tradition back?

I guess such a forum blog would be difficult, people may want to piss on each others shoes etc rather than getting back to oldschool (whatever that used to be).

Anyway, hoping not to have a heated discussion but a healthy debate.

User Comment
Submitted by Fungus [PM] on 4 October 2016
This is not a "discussion" I am making a comment on the quality of this game and this release. It is my opinion, if you don't like it tough shit.

User Comment
Submitted by hedning [PM] on 3 October 2016
I don't agree, of course. It's a unique meta level take, and a cool nerdy game. But this "discussion" should move to the forum instead if you would like to continue. It seems more people are liking it, so your view is not universal, quite the opposite. If you have more to say about what we should do and not, please send a PM and I can ignore it in peace without disturbing the rest of the population.

User Comment
Submitted by Fungus [PM] on 3 October 2016
I don't need to read the fucking manual, this is shit and not worthy of releasing.

User Comment
Submitted by hedning [PM] on 3 October 2016
rtfm ;)

User Comment
Submitted by Fungus [PM] on 3 October 2016
This isn't even worthy of dinasours. Is this what the scene has come to? You should be ashamed of releasing this.

... 52 posts hidden. Click here to view all posts....

2016-10-05 09:01
hedning

Quote: Hedning I am just stating my view. Which is for me to decide. Ty. Fungus' comment was on the entry.

Regarding smaller games. Should the pts be lowered? Maximum length for intro for smaller games?

Of course you can state your view, but then write "In my opinion... blabla". Well. Details. Fungus comment was about the game, that he thought it was crap, and also he expressed some kind of strange need of telling us how to run our business, and that we should be ashamed etc. Some kind of bizarre scene police attitude, and a complete lack of respect for different views on things. That clearly opened for drama and discussion, of course, thus I moved the whole debacle here where it somewhat belongs. I have asked the other moderators if I did the right thing, and all that have had the time to answer think it was right.

Regarding points and stuff, I believe CSDb is the wrong forum for it (and this thread is absolutely the wrong room for it), and should be discussed with the few of us that care. Mail perhaps?
2016-10-05 09:15
Jazzcat

For pts discussion etc. I do not mind it here out in the open. As I value everyone's feedback.

Regarding Fungus comment. I think it should be against the release. It is about the release and in my opinion is a wrong mod move.
2016-10-05 09:23
chatGPZ

right now derbyram is rotating in his grave, shooting death rays
2016-10-05 09:29
Peacemaker

So we are only allowed to praise the cracking groups but not allowed to comment that its a shame to release such a game? well, its a comment, if you like it not.
2016-10-05 10:13
hedning

Quote: So we are only allowed to praise the cracking groups but not allowed to comment that its a shame to release such a game? well, its a comment, if you like it not.

<Post edited by hedning on 5/10-2016 12:19>

I don't mind what you think about the game or release. But did you ever think that we perhaps released it because we think it's pretty cool, and that your view might not be universal? I reacted mainly because Fungus and you seems to think we release stuff for only you guys, and that your point of view is the only correct one. + You are telling others how they should and shouldn't do. What we should feel and how we should act. That is actually not very sympathetic. Feel free to express that the release is "trash" or "shit", but if you are telling another group how to act, feel or should do, you are way out of expressing something about the release itself. You are guilty of that on many occations.

Fungus had no comment on the release itself. It was all about how shitty he thought the game was, and in his first comment he also states obvious discussion food: that we should be ashamed (why? obviously we think that the game is cool, why release it otherwise? That would be stupid), and "Is this what the scene has come to?", thus starting a discussion. I see no problem moving that here, after the discussion emerged (I didn't do it at first, and I anly censored Roysterini's foul language against Fungus). It's not censoring, it's moving comments to a more suitable place where we can edit answers and use more tools. We will probably work more like that in the future I think. If you look at the comments fields all over the place they are filled up with chitchats and debates, where people start questioning stuff, thus starting long discussions. This is actually a quite good example.

There is also another argument closing the comments field all together and only have comments and discussions here by the way, even if that might be far away, and that is the fact that this is supposed to be a database, and as such mainly should hold releases with information around that release - who made what, background etc. What random sceners might think about the releases is pretty uninteresting to have as the main info right under an entry. The forum is much more suited for chats and debates and what people might think etc etc. But that is of course a question for Perff and the mods, not me alone.
2016-10-05 10:17
hedning

Quote: For pts discussion etc. I do not mind it here out in the open. As I value everyone's feedback.

Regarding Fungus comment. I think it should be against the release. It is about the release and in my opinion is a wrong mod move.

Feel free to start a new forum thread then. What I meant was that this entry is perhaps not the right and most natural place to discuss it. I mean: "Where can I find that interesting discussion about first release points?" - "In I Am the Flashing C64 Cursor +D of course! duh!".
2016-10-05 10:27
Peacemaker

"What random sceners might think about the releases is pretty uninteresting to have as the main info right under an entry. "

your (not universal) view. i think the dem-o, music-, gfx- guys like the comments under their releases, be they positive or negativ (critism).
but what do i know. =)
2016-10-05 10:37
hedning

Quote: "What random sceners might think about the releases is pretty uninteresting to have as the main info right under an entry. "

your (not universal) view. i think the dem-o, music-, gfx- guys like the comments under their releases, be they positive or negativ (critism).
but what do i know. =)

<Post edited by hedning on 5/10-2016 12:42>

You might be right, but then this is no frikkin' retarded Facebook with likes, smileys and God knows what. In a database I believe it actually is more suited and interesting to know more of the description of effects, design, theme, music, description of various bugs, flicker etc... Even fun facts about the release and goofs.

Different views, flamewars, love letters and fuckings is more suited in the Forum part of this database. It's still linked to the release that is discussed. I know the database is used a lot as a release site, but that is not what it is meant to be. I think this confuses a lot of people. See JSL as an example. Being thrown out because he could not behave, he interpreted that as he was thrown out of the scene (?!).
2016-10-05 10:42
Jazzcat

What examples of comments for releases would be okay?
2016-10-05 10:46
hedning

Quote: What examples of comments for releases would be okay?

I'm not running this database, and I am not the only moderator, but I think I showed my own reflections and views above.

I often use and used the comment field giving feedback. Hopefully creative feedback. I probably sinned too from time to time, I guess. Look at it like this: If the comments field is going in a discussion direction it's better to move it here.

Point is the comments field is problematic, as it is used as a thread on facebook. I don't think we should turn CSDb into Facebook. This is primarely a database of C64 scene releases.
Previous - 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 - Next
RefreshSubscribe to this thread:

You need to be logged in to post in the forum.

Search the forum:
Search   for   in  
All times are CET.
Search CSDb
Advanced
Users Online
Menace/Spaceballs
Majikeyric
MCM/ONSLAUGHT
Apollyon/ALD
Guests online: 71
Top Demos