Log inRegister an accountBrowse CSDbHelp & documentationFacts & StatisticsThe forumsAvailable RSS-feeds on CSDbSupport CSDb Commodore 64 Scene Database
You are not logged in - nap
CSDb User Forums

Forums > C64 Pixeling > This is the Thread for everything NUFLI!
2009-07-19 23:30
DeeKay

This is the Thread for everything NUFLI!

The Era of NUFLI has begun - Bye Bye Interlace!

So what do you guys think? 8)

btw. Until Bitbreaker decides the converter is fit for release, you may send me your pictures and I'll put them through it. No, I won't fix the bugs for you (been doing that for over a hundred hours in the recent months! <:-), you gotta learn your way around the editor eventually if you want that extra edge of perfection - But I will offer some advice on different approaches how to combat teh blockiness or teh color lack, i even prepared some tutorials I will post here later! ;-)

Please do keep in mind that even in NUFLI, you still only have 3 colors horizontally in every char -with one fixed for 6 chars- (5 or 6 in the FLIbug, but that's for all 3 chars!). Considering that IFLI has a maximum of 6 colors in one char, it's quite surprising the pictures in the Slideshow come over so well, but apparently most people don't use IFLIs capabilities to the full extent - and then there's the horizontal PAL colorblur, which means many different colors don't actually make so much sense after all, since you can't distinguish all the colors so well anyway!

... 160 posts hidden. Click here to view all posts....

2010-07-07 09:38
enthusi

Ah thanks for the nice update :)
I see its not been on ice at all ;-)
Ok, I am ready for adjustments to the GUI when needed.
2010-07-07 14:27
DeeKay

No, it appears like we're just lazy, but we've been working on it (on and off, depending on vacation, laziness etc! 8) for all this time! ;-D

Good thing we didn't release it before these bugs were fixed, cause they can be a pain in the ass and require manual replacing of the displayer code, which sucks!...
2010-07-07 19:28
PAL

Lets make X the party of NUFLI art.

Let us NOT make the X the party of NUFLI... let us create the native in the best possible fasion? What about that? Let us create koalas and have a real fight inside the pigfarm... put the native to the max? What about it? It would be so much fun to do it like in the old days... the year is 2010 so it is cooler to do it with what was the peak of the graphics scene some 22 years ago, just before fli came out...
2010-07-07 19:41
algorithm

Well. the NUFLI gfx mode is currently the ultimate full screen graphic mode for the C64 (non interlace) Only improvements would really be to have FLI per line (but that would make the image more narrow) or to have a hybrid interlace method.
Dont want to give much away but hopefully in X10 there will be a demo which displays a new fullscreen gfx mode :-)
2010-07-08 03:29
Conjuror

NUFLI is native to the c64 :D

Push the limits!
2010-07-08 06:10
Perplex

Quote: NUFLI is native to the c64 :D

Push the limits!

Indeed it is native.

The invention of NUFLI and the release of C.S.S. was pushing the limits. Releasing more pictures in that very same graphics mode 1 year later is not pushing any limits, however.

I think NUFLI was *great* as a one-off thing, and if you can do something *new* with it then I can't wait to see it. If you're just drawing a picture, I'm personally much more interested in seeing what you can achieve within the limits of the standard bitmap modes.

Then again, maybe I'm just a grumpy old man.
2010-07-08 07:03
enthusi

Hehe, well NUFLI started with quite some quality.
And breakpoint presented top notch examples by veto and ragnarok. I think NUFLI is a new platform for 'art' (not my favorite word indeed) on the c64.
We shall see tons of stupid conversions but at least with NUFLI, stupid conversions look nice as well :)
So less disturbing than dithered FLI converted BMPs of the last decade...
This is automatically converted through the yet-to-come converter. Not a single pixel set manually. It's awesome but certainly lacks what makes a good picture that comes from the mind and heart.

Beat that with koala/HiRes (and people here sure can do it) and you beat it all!
So I think NUFLI wont kill the gfx-scene (as if anything ever could) but it will raise the lower limit and make true artists shine even more (by using non-cpu modes or by utilising NUFLI proplerly which aint a piece-of-cake either).
enthusi
2010-07-08 08:28
DeeKay

NUFLI means the death of Koala and Hires - just like IFLI did! ;-)

Face it: NUFLI is an exciting new option, but in no way does it mean that it's a substitute for Koala and Hires!.. The only thing it kills (and was made to kill actually! ;-) is the flickermess that is IFLI (yes, i always loathed it, check my profile!).. And no matter what some people that are hesitant to let go of their beloved IFLI say: There's just no situation in which IFLI is better - i think even on the bigscreen NUFLI looks nicer, since you can actually see the ditherstyle and hence the pixel-craftsmanship! ;-)

NUFLI does make possible new styles and techniques that weren't possible before - but that have yet to be explored, it's just gonna take some time till people adapt to it...

enthusi: isn't that picture MUIFLI? ;-)
2010-07-08 09:03
enthusi

Deekay: you should think, eh?
Clearly my secret converter skills show, haha.
Nope - pure NUFLI.

edit:
http://enthusi.de/img1.nuf
launch with SYS 12288.
2010-07-08 09:48
Perplex

Quoting DeeKay
...you can actually see the ditherstyle and hence the pixel-craftsmanship! ;-)

The ditherstyle and pixel-craftsmanship of the converter, yes?
Previous - 1 | ... | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 - Next
RefreshSubscribe to this thread:

You need to be logged in to post in the forum.

Search the forum:
Search   for   in  
All times are CET.
Search CSDb
Advanced
Users Online
Krill/Plush
E$G/hOKUtO fOrcE
Laddh
wil
GI-Joe/MYD!
master_hacker