Log inRegister an accountBrowse CSDbHelp & documentationFacts & StatisticsThe forumsAvailable RSS-feeds on CSDbSupport CSDb Commodore 64 Scene Database
You are not logged in - nap
CSDb User Forums

Forums > C64 Pixeling > This is the Thread for everything NUFLI!
2009-07-19 23:30
DeeKay

This is the Thread for everything NUFLI!

The Era of NUFLI has begun - Bye Bye Interlace!

So what do you guys think? 8)

btw. Until Bitbreaker decides the converter is fit for release, you may send me your pictures and I'll put them through it. No, I won't fix the bugs for you (been doing that for over a hundred hours in the recent months! <:-), you gotta learn your way around the editor eventually if you want that extra edge of perfection - But I will offer some advice on different approaches how to combat teh blockiness or teh color lack, i even prepared some tutorials I will post here later! ;-)

Please do keep in mind that even in NUFLI, you still only have 3 colors horizontally in every char -with one fixed for 6 chars- (5 or 6 in the FLIbug, but that's for all 3 chars!). Considering that IFLI has a maximum of 6 colors in one char, it's quite surprising the pictures in the Slideshow come over so well, but apparently most people don't use IFLIs capabilities to the full extent - and then there's the horizontal PAL colorblur, which means many different colors don't actually make so much sense after all, since you can't distinguish all the colors so well anyway!

... 160 posts hidden. Click here to view all posts....

2010-07-05 19:27
chatGPZ

Quote:
(the way it was written it looked like NUFLI was invented by Chronosoft though :D)

but... they are. and them bastards are still sitting on the converter!
2010-07-05 19:39
WVL

Courtesy of Hein : http://www.depers.nl/cultuur/492331/Retro-nerds-blijven-in-de-8..

And to save the text for eternity (looks like they made a mistake in the publishing time, it should have been 13:37 ofcourse...) :

Quote:
Games Waarom modern doen als je ook van cassette kunt spelen?
Retro-nerds blijven in de 80’s
Door: David Crookes
Gepubliceerd: vandaag 00:37
Update: vandaag 00:37

Consoles als de Commodore 64 stierven decennia geleden al hun commerciële dood. Toch wordt er met hartelust voor geprogrammeerd.

Sommige mensen bewaren oude platen alsof ze op een kist met goud zitten. Anderen laten trots hun VHS-videocassettes zien, van films die ze allang op dvd hebben gekocht. Ze houden er aan vast uit pure nostalgie, met een zolder vol troep en boze partners tot gevolg.

Maar die nostalgie gaat niet op voor gaming, toch? Als er één wereld is waarin mensen de verandering omarmen, is het wel die van videogames. Hield je in de jaren tachtig van Operation Wolf? Pff, wij spelen online Call of Duty. Gamers zijn technofielen, die gelukzalig marcheren op de puls van alleen de allerbeste elektronica.

Gelukkig zit de wereld minder simpel in elkaar. Net zoals muziekliefhebbers aan de keuzes uit hun jeugd vasthouden, zijn er gamers die uit vrije wil in een tijdcapsule wonen. Retro gaming is niet voor niets big business, ook voor de grote jongens. Zet de Wii maar aan, zap naar Virtual Console (de Xbox heeft met de Game Room iets soortgelijks) en je kunt uren spelen op stokoude spellen als de oerversies van Donkey Kong of The Last Ninja, bekend van de Commodore 64.

Oldtimers
Maar er is meer aan de hand. Er is zoveel liefde voor de technologie van weleer – consoles met minder mogelijkheden dan de zwakste mobiele telefoon van vandaag – dat een groep gamebouwers spellen blijft ontwikkelen voor machines die hun hoogtepunt in de jaren tachtig beleefden. Ze bouwen nieuwe titels voor oldtimercomputers als de Spectrum, Commodore 64 en Amstrad CPC. En niet alleen houden ze de eer hoog van de ‘slaapkamerprogrammeurs’ van die tijd, ze gaan echt tot het gaatje. Ze bouwen spellen, slaan ze op een cassette op, maken er prachtige inlegvellen bij en steken ze in kartonnen paketten met superieure vormgeving.

‘Het is zeer bevredigend om een verzameling op te bouwen van mooi verpakte software. De verpakking is vaak extreem belangrijk voor mensen’, zegt Simon Ullyatt, die vanuit zijn huis een retro-label runt met de naam Cronosoft (‘With us, time is on your side’ is de slogan). Het idee voor het bedrijf kreeg hij in 2002. ‘Ik ben altijd fan geweest van uitgevers met een onafhankelijke ‘punk’-ethiek, de do-it- yourself-labels die kwaliteit leveren via fysieke media.’ Overigens zijn de meeste titels ook online te koop, omgezet voor pc of Macs – de schoorsteen moet ook roken.

Aandacht
Ullyatt is een populair figuur in de retro-gaming scene. Zijn label wordt scherp in de gaten gehouden, en aan nieuwe titels heeft Cronosoft nooit tekort. Een paar dagen nadat Ullyatt om spellen vroeg op een online forum, stroomden de aanmeldingen binnen en kon het bedrijf Egghead in Space uitgeven, van programmeur Jonathan Cauldwell. ‘Ik schrijf voor oude machines voor het plezier en het gevoel van vrijheid dat ik heb’, zegt Cauldwell. ‘Of ik nu een voetbal het doel in wil laten vliegen, ruimteschepen wil laten exploderen of varkens in formatie wil laten vliegen: het kan en mag allemaal omdat er geen enkele druk is om er een commercieel succes van te maken. Er is een klein leger van retro-gamers dat standaard de spellen koopt en speelt, en feedback geeft via internet. En dat is het.’

Zoals vele old school-programmeurs begon ook Cauldwell in de jaren tachtig te programmeren. In die tijd werden een paar van zijn spellen uitgegeven. Toen de consoles waarvoor hij schreef hun commerciële dood stierven, bleef Cauldwell programmeren, en nu bereikt hij resultaten die in de jaren tachtig niet voor mogelijk werden gehouden. Voor de Commodore 64 werd bijvoorbeeld een nieuwe code geschreven, NUFLI, waarmee hij de graphics een impuls kon geven: games zien er nu uit zoals ze er in 1980 niet uit kónden zien.

Voor het geld hoeft het overigens niet. Bedrijven als Cronosoft en Psytronik Software komen uit de kosten, daar is alles mee gezegd. ‘De balans bij Cronosoft loopt in de honderden Engelse ponden’, lacht Ullyatt. ‘Niet in de miljoenen.’
2010-07-05 20:21
Steppe

I thought I'd run this through Babelfish autotranslator to save you all the effort. With a bit of imagination you should be able to understand it. :-)

Consoles such as the commodore 64 died decades suffered already their commercial dead. Toch there with hartelust for is programmed. Some people keep old plates as if they sit on a travelling box with gold. Others show proudly their VHS-videocassettes, of films which they have bought for a long time on dvd. They hold there to from pure nostalgie, with an attic full troop and boze partners to consequence. But that nostalgie does not go up for gaming, nevertheless? If there, is one world in which people embrace the change, it, however, which of videogames, is. Did you love eighty Operation wolves in the years? Pff, we play online Call or Duty. Gamers are technofielen, which march blissfully on the puls of only the very best elektronica. Fortunately the world less sits ly in each other. Just like music devotees to the choices from their youth, are gamers hold there which lives by one's own free will in a time capsule. Retro gaming are not for nothing piglet business, also for the large boys. The Wii beginning but, zap to Virtual console (the Xbox have with the Game Room something similar) and you can hours play on decrepit game such as the oerversies of Donkey Kong or The charge Ninja, confessed of the commodore 64. Old-timers But is there more to the hand. There is so much love for the technology of weleer - consoles with less possibilities than the weakest mobile tel. of today - that a group gamebouwers continues develop game for machines which lived their peak in the years eighty. They build new titles for old-timer computers such as the spectrum, commodore 64 and Amstrad CPC. And they not only love the honour high the `slaapkamerprogrammeurs' that time, they really go to the prick. Them, store them on a cassette, make splendid inlegvellen and put they build game in hamper paketten with superior design. `It is very satisfactorily build a collection of nicely packed software. Packing is frequently extremely important for mensen', says Simon Ullyatt, which manages retro-label from its house with the name Cronosoft (`With US, time are on your side' are the slogan). He got the idea for the company in 2002. `I always supporter has been of editors with independent `punk'- ethics, do-it- the yourself labels which deliver a quality product by means of physical mediums. Moreover the most of titles also online buy have been transposed, for pc. or Macs - the chimney must smoke also. Attention Ullyatt are a popular character in retro-gaming the scene. Its label is watched sharply, and to new titles Cronosoft have never shortage. A couple days after Ullyatt asked to spell on an online forum, streamed in the applications and could the company Egghead in Space spend, of programmer Jonathan Cauldwell. `I write for old machines for the pleasure and the feeling of freedom I heb', say Cauldwell to that. `Or I now a football the aim in wants leave flies, spacecrafts wants let explode or varkens in formation want leave flies: it is possible and can all because there is none busy there a commercial make success. There is a small army of retro-gamers that standard buys the game and plays, and feedback gives by means of Internet. And that is it. Such as a lot of old school-programmeurs also Cauldwell in the years eighty started program. In that time a couple of its game were spent. When the consoles for which he wrote their commercial dead died, program Cauldwell, and now reaches he results which were not kept in the years eighty for possible, continued. For the commodore 64 a new code was for example written, NUFLI, with which he could the graphics give a impetus: games do not see seeing now such as them in 1980, kónden. For the money it does not need moreover. Companies such as Cronosoft and Psytronik software come from the costs, with that everything have been said. `The assessment at Cronosoft runs in the hundreds English ponden', laughs Ullyatt. `Not in the millions.
2010-07-06 00:17
SIDWAVE
Account closed

no more talk.

release the converter, or there is no future for NUFLI :(
2010-07-06 00:38
Conjuror

And before X PLEASE!!!

I'm sure I'm not the only one with pictures waiting for conversion.

Lets make X the party of NUFLI art.
2010-07-06 07:05
Scout

This is the original article in English.

"The new wave of retro gaming"

http://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/gadgets-and-tech/gaming..
2010-07-06 08:26
chatGPZ

Quote:
I'm sure I'm not the only one with pictures waiting for conversion.

*sigh* sander, hein, mermaid, ptoing, saehn .... koala please. thanks.
2010-07-06 12:16
enthusi

Though I too prefer HiRes and Koala as formats in some way,
I'd love to see that converter out ;-)
Beeing playing some with it and with the beautyful native editor that even I kind of managed after introduction by veto :)
2010-07-06 21:07
Frantic

Bah.. PETSCII interlace is the ph4tt3z+.
2010-07-07 09:18
DeeKay

Okay, here's a quick status update:
We found a bug in the displayer, so Crossbow fixed that one. The new routine had to be integrated into the converter, and along the way Bitbreaker also improved the FLIbug color rendering quite a bit (it now checks if it can make color switches one line earlier when no switches are free) and also fixed a bug that would cause an ugly grey stripe in the top left (had to remove that manually in every frame of the shark sequence in BluREU!). Crossbow also made a new version of the NUFLI editor (v1.9) which not only integrates the new displayer but also fixes some bugs that would occasionally display grey in the FLIbug editor. Mrsid also made some optimizations on the converter some days ago, so now it is 30% faster. Bitbreaker is improving the color-finding logic right now since Crossbow found that it makes some illogical choices every now and then. I'm waiting for the final okay from Crossbow after that, then we just need to slap on Enthusi's python-GUI and Alih needs to make that Windows-Standalone-EXE of it, and then it'll finally be released! ;-)
Previous - 1 | ... | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 - Next
RefreshSubscribe to this thread:

You need to be logged in to post in the forum.

Search the forum:
Search   for   in  
All times are CET.
Search CSDb
Advanced
Users Online
Guests online: 113
Top Demos
1 Next Level  (9.8)
2 Mojo  (9.7)
3 Coma Light 13  (9.7)
4 Edge of Disgrace  (9.6)