Log inRegister an accountBrowse CSDbHelp & documentationFacts & StatisticsThe forumsAvailable RSS-feeds on CSDbSupport CSDb Commodore 64 Scene Database
You are not logged in - nap
CSDb User Forums

Forums > C64 Pixeling > This is the Thread for everything NUFLI!
2009-07-19 23:30
DeeKay

This is the Thread for everything NUFLI!

The Era of NUFLI has begun - Bye Bye Interlace!

So what do you guys think? 8)

btw. Until Bitbreaker decides the converter is fit for release, you may send me your pictures and I'll put them through it. No, I won't fix the bugs for you (been doing that for over a hundred hours in the recent months! <:-), you gotta learn your way around the editor eventually if you want that extra edge of perfection - But I will offer some advice on different approaches how to combat teh blockiness or teh color lack, i even prepared some tutorials I will post here later! ;-)

Please do keep in mind that even in NUFLI, you still only have 3 colors horizontally in every char -with one fixed for 6 chars- (5 or 6 in the FLIbug, but that's for all 3 chars!). Considering that IFLI has a maximum of 6 colors in one char, it's quite surprising the pictures in the Slideshow come over so well, but apparently most people don't use IFLIs capabilities to the full extent - and then there's the horizontal PAL colorblur, which means many different colors don't actually make so much sense after all, since you can't distinguish all the colors so well anyway!
2009-07-20 07:16
Oswald

"3 colors horizontally in every char -with one fixed for 6 chars"

in some ways better in some ways worse than koala I'd say, and as it was shown troughout the years, koala is hardy limiting ;) most of the pics in the slideshow were drazlace originally.

how come one is fixed for 6 chars ? so arent the sprites multicolor? you could give out details all this mufli nufli, etc makes my head dizzy.
2009-07-20 08:48
DeeKay

os: nopes, in fact the majority of the pics were originally IFLI. Some Drazlace stuff from Leon is in there and the rest is most of Duce's and Electric's portfolio.. And then there are Carrions pics, which were never drazlace, but rather manually extended IFLI-originals, Joe's was also done without ever seeing the drazlace editor!
There really aren't that many ppl that actually do Drazlace! <:-) - Much to our chagrin, because we couldn't show off the FLIbug, hehe! ;-)

As for the specs: Read the scroller, it's all in there. No, we did remove the multicolor option to use the cycles for an eigth sprite, so it's (expanded) hires sprites only again..
2009-07-20 08:55
SIDWAVE
Account closed

Well, great, a new standard born in 2009..
Tell crossbow to code a 12 voice sid tracker now please!
2009-07-20 09:00
DeeKay

Well, NUFLI isn't that much news really - *all* of the pictures in the collection could have been done in this exact quality with MUFLI (from 2006!) already, only missing the 40th char colum and the FLIbug! 8) Hell, if we were able to use the Multicolor option, it would probably look even better!

It's only thanks to Bitbreaker's converter that we can now finally show the world what we knew all along: that M/N/UFLI can be just as colorful as IFLI - without the flicker! ;-)
2009-07-20 09:45
Cruzer

Judging from the pics I actually thought the mode was more advanced than this. I've been fantasizing about a completely flexible UFLI mode for a while, where you could change all sprite parameters, e.g. x-positions to concentrate them where they're most needed. But apparently that's not necessary when you got the combination of an amazing converter and some mad pixelling skills.
2009-07-20 09:52
PopMilo

How often are you changing sprite colors ?
Is it possible for whole 7 sprites in every line?
I guess it isn't possible with that few cycles remaining...
So what are options?
2009-07-20 10:09
DeeKay

popmilo: every 2 lines - but it's offset one line from the bitmap color changes! xbow made that so you could have 4 colors in a 8x2 block, but we noticed when working on the pictures that quite often in those lines where a sprite color change occurs, you need to set one of the bitmap colors to the same color as one of the spritecolors in order to avoid ugly lines in that 8x2 block! That leaves you only with one other color in that line...
Xbow said that he can do 5 of the 6 sprites in the same line as the bitmap (only the rightmost would be 1 offset!), and we planned to experiment a little with this to see if it gives better results, so bitbreaker made a version of the converter that did sprite and bitmap-changes in the same line. Apparently it did improve according to the conversion bug percentage, but the whole project was already underway so we didn't want to change it again!
In fixing these bugs (make no mistake - the converter is good, but quite a few of these pictures, especially the more colorful IFLIs, required many many hours of postprocessing to look THIS good, e.g. Carrion's train or Valsary's Wolverine!) i did find occasions where it was useful to have 2 spritecolors in one 8x2 block, but more often i had to fix ugly lines caused by the offset sprite colorchanges (very evil in pictures with outlines!)

To come back to your original question: we actually even have 8 sprites ((M)UFLI had 7 already - 6 in the pic and one to cover the FLIbug!), 6 in the picture and 2 in the FLIbug!
And yeah, i forgot: we can switch colors for the FLIbug sprites, too, depending on how many register changes inside the picture are unused (you hardly ever change the color of all 6 sprites every time!), and that means up to 4 flibug spritecolors every second line, depending on how many colorswitches are "unused"! ;-) plus one FLIbug-Sprite-colorchange in every other line...
2009-07-20 10:30
PopMilo

FLI is then used every two lines ?
So 8x2 hires bitmap blocks in two colors + spritecolors ?

Hats of to Bitbreaker for making converter for this mode! :)
2009-07-20 10:34
Oswald

I have read the scroller, and this thread but the specs are still not clear :)

so every 2nd line fli 6+2sprites, and every two lines how many registerchanges possible?
2009-07-20 10:58
DeeKay

Okay, I'll sum this up as condensed as I can:

NUFLI-Picture: 1 hires bitmap, FLI every second line (=all even lines) plus 1 spritelayer of 6 expanded hires-sprites over the first 39 chars (last one is plain AFLI) under the bitmap with possible colorchanges for the sprites every 2 lines (=every odd line)
NUFLI-bug: 1 hires bitmap, 6 lines of grey alternating with 2 lines of normal AFLI, plus one Mcol-spritelayer as the bottom layer (well, technically the unset bitmap color is at the very bottom, but in those 6 lines with grey that's grey, which you also have as set pixels in hires *over* the whole thing, so it doesn't make any sense!), one hires-spritelayer over it and set bitmap pixels (that's those 6 lines grey alternating with 2 lines AFLI again!) over that (that's 4 layers instead of 3 like inside the picture). colorchanges are possible for all four sprite colors (five possible switches in total every even line, one every odd line), depending on how many register switches are free (unused) inside the picture!

Yes, nobody said it's simple - that's why we made the converter! ;-D

... 160 posts hidden. Click here to view all posts....

Previous - 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | ... | 17 - Next
RefreshSubscribe to this thread:

You need to be logged in to post in the forum.

Search the forum:
Search   for   in  
All times are CET.
Search CSDb
Advanced
Users Online
tlr
Alakran_64
curtcool
Zardax/Artline Designs
Yazoo/Arsenic
TPM/Silicon Ltd