Log inRegister an accountBrowse CSDbHelp & documentationFacts & StatisticsThe forumsAvailable RSS-feeds on CSDbSupport CSDb Commodore 64 Scene Database
 Welcome to our latest new user Chriszx/UNITRAX ! (Registered 2024-05-26) You are not logged in - nap
CSDb User Forums

Forums > C64 Pixeling > C64 Double Screen Compo 2013
2013-01-13 17:50
v3to

C64 Double Screen Compo 2013

Remember this little graphic competition with double-sized pictures that happened two years ago? Think it is a good time for a second attempt. Keeping some requests in mind the rules changed in some cases. More freedom for the graphic artist and coders, but also - as requested - more transparency in case of using references and copies. And - for the first time - a theme.

Compo organizers are Enthusi and I (Veto) - for any questions please contact us per PM. The compo itself will be featured by c64pixels.com and Artcity. Deadline is March 31st 2013.

Okay then, people. Time to start. Here are the rules...

GRAPHICIANS

Theme is ‘water’ in a wide range of definition: Maybe as part of a landscape, something surreal, raindrops, animals swimming in a river, arrangements with geometric bodies, a person drinking something, a liquid sculpture, a deep sea motive,...
Water doesn’t need to be the only subject but should be part of picture front and shown in pure liquid state.

You can use any graphic mode you like, but please note the used format with your entry. In case of a custom format (eg mixing up FLI with custom sprites), please add a short description.

Wired stuff and compositions are allowed, but you have to accept that all originals will be shown to public with your entry, including an 1:1 check as animated gif. You are asked to provide any originals along with your entry submission.

Each entry must be executable with a mere RUN after load. The overall size of the gfx has to be “two screens”, in whatever arrangement. Scrolling is desired. Interlace does not count etc. You get the idea.

CODERS

This competition is for graphic artists but it is also some kind of ‘mini-demo-compo’.
Feel free to play with the idea of using a two screen size gfx. Add effects, create an graphics editor, do interactive stuff.

Minimum requirement is a picture scroller. So please include an option to disable all effects, animations and music (eg using space bar). Viewers should be able to watch the picture without diversity.

SUBMISSIONS

Please send your entry to following email address.
veto [@] c64pixels.spamsuxx.com
And - please - do not submit your entry on csdb before deadline.All pictures are shown on Artcity and the c64pixels.com member’s area during the compo. The d64-files will be released right after deadline.

VOTING AND PRICES

Like the first Double Screen Compo the best graphic will be chosen by email votes. More details will follow after deadline. The winner will get a personal lasered glass trophy (check out the photo).

For coders there is an award for ‘most interesting approach’ selected by the c64pixels staff plus one guest juror. Which means this price is not just connected to technical excellence. Great design ideas might be a reason, something really useful or whatever innovative. Remember that online charmode editor by Digger he created for his entry the last DSC :) Prize is also a lasered glass trophy.

2013-01-14 02:02
SIDWAVE
Account closed

Many gfx people (most) are not able to make the setup for this. code/scrolling.

if you would provide this, you can get more to participate.
2013-01-14 02:40
Conjuror

I'm sure there are plenty of coders with this routine already done (myself included), so I don't think the gfx artists will struggle to find someone to help with this.
2013-01-14 03:00
Cruzer

If the pics are placed side to side, just use my code from the last compo...
http://codebase64.org/doku.php?id=base:double_screen_horizontal..
2013-01-14 12:45
v3to

@sidwave: you got the point, but one step after another.

sure it is a gfx competition, but the rules have also been enhanced for coders, btw because of coder's requests.
i remember questions like "could we do text scrollers", "what about interlace", "what about overlay/underlay sprites", "what about music", ...
some graphic artist were asking for custom formats too, and i hardly remember there are scrollers existing for all cases.
so decision was made to follow this "mini-demo-approach".

if there is still not enough interest (speaking of coders), we will definitely try to get some routines or people for helping the gfx artists.
2013-01-14 17:17
Matt

great compo this!
I'm looking forward to the contributions, yes!
Well Veto I hope you are going attend in the compo too mate.
2013-01-14 22:40
Digger

Thanks Veto for mentioning my online editor Slixed: http://c64.blog2t.net/slixed/

I'll release the displayer shortly so you can use the editor to make your pic in hires + multi mode aka game mode aka Coma Light 13 mode but with with unlimited chars (bank switching).

Also you can save your pic often (as a PNG) to create the stages as animated gif.
PM me if you have any questions/requests etc. for the editor.

Now go and start pixelling!
2013-01-15 07:13
chatGPZ

"hires + multi mode aka game mode aka Coma Light 13 mode"
what? its ordinary multicolor charset mode dude =)
2013-01-15 07:28
Digger

of course, but don't ruin the hype Groepaz - this mode was rarely used for pictures before Coma Light 13 ;-)
2013-01-15 16:14
enthusi

DGGR, many games use that mode and in 'use' I mean mixed hires/multicolor but I agree very much, mastering it in as aesthetic way really is rare... but sooo nice...
2013-01-16 00:31
FATFrost
Account closed

I have a few in the pipeline... I really love the size of piccy I can make... so much too. to play with pixels!!!

thanks DGGR!!!

... 86 posts hidden. Click here to view all posts....

Previous - 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 - Next
RefreshSubscribe to this thread:

You need to be logged in to post in the forum.

Search the forum:
Search   for   in  
All times are CET.
Search CSDb
Advanced
Users Online
codise
Shogoon/Elysium/MSL
DuncanTwain
Regent/Therapy
Guests online: 95
Top Demos