Log inRegister an accountBrowse CSDbHelp & documentationFacts & StatisticsThe forumsAvailable RSS-feeds on CSDbSupport CSDb Commodore 64 Scene Database
You are not logged in - nap
CSDb User Forums

Forums > CSDb Discussions > The Pixelling Cow - Beta
2014-03-21 20:56
jailbird

The Pixelling Cow - Beta

In the last two weeks I was working on a personal web project in my free time. Hope some of you will find it interesting and/or useful. This is the first stable release, so expect a lot of changes/additions in the near future. I'll keep you updated.

--

ThePixellingCow is currently the most comprehensive database of Commodore 64 scene-related pixel-art.

At the moment, it hosts 6201 images, 1497 artists and 475 events.

It is basically a periodically refreshed mirror of CSDb's graphics related content, but with an accessible and clean UI more suitable for graphics-related content. So, for those who are interested in specific graphics-releases: now you could find them faster and easier.

It's still far from finished. Consider it's present state as a beta testing terrain.

TPC needs help!

At the moment, only one person is doing all the work, so any kind of support would be highly appreciated! Especially in the following areas:

- general functionality testing
- flagging/removing duplicates (there's a lot of them, as parsing CSDb wasn't always going smoothly)
- correcting data (same as above)
- adding missing artists, releases and events
- tagging (the collected data could and will be cross-shared with CSDb later, if it ever introduces the tag functionality)
- ripping graphics from various releases
- suggestions, ideas always more than welcome!

... 60 posts hidden. Click here to view all posts....

2014-03-22 13:01
jailbird

Quoting Sander
All i miss is mobile.css :)

Added to the TODO list :)

Quoting WVL
. by Ptoing doesnt have a picture

http://previews.idevele.com/tpc/release-8-

something going wrong :-)

Fixed. The parser wasn't handling exotic release names too well :)

Quoting Shine
I am not sure again, but ...
if i am on a artist profile i see the "Event releases:" on the left side. The mouse pointer shows me that i could click on it. But if i click nothing happened.
Is this the way it should be?

Fixed, both the release name and the thumbnail is clickable now in the events box.

Now parsing CSDb comments as well (in natural timeline order)!

Meanwhile I was setting it up, I've found a glitch in CSDb's web service. Namely, sometimes the handles aren't present in the XML, only the CSDb user IDs (not the profile IDs, mind you). I can't even assume who's the commenter by comparing profile IDs, so if you run into missing handles, that's not a bug on my side...
2014-03-22 23:10
grasstust

Love this idea - great execution, Jailbird!
2014-03-22 23:31
hedning

Awesome
2014-03-23 02:13
jailbird

The event pages are up
2014-03-23 07:11
CreaMD

While you are fully at it and design is not heavy yet, think responsively. Media queries, touch... would be nice to browse on smartphone.

...saud creamd while s (h)itting on toilet...
2014-03-23 09:19
Adam

nice site
2014-03-23 09:45
jailbird

Quote: While you are fully at it and design is not heavy yet, think responsively. Media queries, touch... would be nice to browse on smartphone.

...saud creamd while s (h)itting on toilet...

The more I think about it, the more I come to a conclusion that instead of optimizing the design to smaller screens, a better idea would be to have a completely isolated (and quick) mobile version. I don't have where to test responsive design anyway, since I use a Java ME based phone (with GPRS).

The data and the presentation layer are (mostly) separated, so it's only a matter of creating a bunch of new views.
2014-03-23 11:40
encore

Quoting Jailbird
The more I think about it, the more I come to a conclusion that instead of optimizing the design to smaller screens, a better idea would be to have a completely isolated (and quick) mobile version. I don't have where to test responsive design anyway, since I use a Java ME based phone (with GPRS).

Just use Firefox and press Ctrl-Shift-M to test out the page in smaller resolutions. Also, you could take a look at Bootstrap ( getbootstrap.com ) for responsive templates.

Nice job btw. :)
2014-03-23 11:59
CreaMD

JB

there is simple tool for making of quick mock ups of bootrap layouts, that can be exported with full bootstrap3 library and used in your project.

http://www.layoutit.com/

but I think your site is so simple that few media queries would make it responsive in few hours

For correct display of site on mobiles there is a meta-tag necessary.

<meta name="viewport" content="width=device-width, initial-scale=1.0"> (that forces smartphone not to show page as desktop page)

Bottstrap has it in markup on default

roman
2014-03-23 12:47
Shine

Sometimes i wished that i could choose "Filter releases by achievement:".
Now you can choose #1, #2, #3 as fixed places.
But in some cases i know the place and the year. ( >#3 )
Maybe you can EXTEND this feature? (via Drop Down Box as example)
Previous - 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 - Next
RefreshSubscribe to this thread:

You need to be logged in to post in the forum.

Search the forum:
Search   for   in  
All times are CET.
Search CSDb
Advanced
Users Online
Fred/Channel 4
Airwolf/F4CG
Firelord/EX/TRX
Black/Angels
Hairdog/BOOM!^Dream
goerp/F4CG