Log inRegister an accountBrowse CSDbHelp & documentationFacts & StatisticsThe forumsAvailable RSS-feeds on CSDbSupport CSDb Commodore 64 Scene Database
You are not logged in - nap
CSDb User Forums

Forums > CSDb Discussions > The Pixelling Cow - Beta
2014-03-21 20:56
jailbird

The Pixelling Cow - Beta

In the last two weeks I was working on a personal web project in my free time. Hope some of you will find it interesting and/or useful. This is the first stable release, so expect a lot of changes/additions in the near future. I'll keep you updated.

--

ThePixellingCow is currently the most comprehensive database of Commodore 64 scene-related pixel-art.

At the moment, it hosts 6201 images, 1497 artists and 475 events.

It is basically a periodically refreshed mirror of CSDb's graphics related content, but with an accessible and clean UI more suitable for graphics-related content. So, for those who are interested in specific graphics-releases: now you could find them faster and easier.

It's still far from finished. Consider it's present state as a beta testing terrain.

TPC needs help!

At the moment, only one person is doing all the work, so any kind of support would be highly appreciated! Especially in the following areas:

- general functionality testing
- flagging/removing duplicates (there's a lot of them, as parsing CSDb wasn't always going smoothly)
- correcting data (same as above)
- adding missing artists, releases and events
- tagging (the collected data could and will be cross-shared with CSDb later, if it ever introduces the tag functionality)
- ripping graphics from various releases
- suggestions, ideas always more than welcome!

... 60 posts hidden. Click here to view all posts....

2014-10-18 17:05
Digger

@Shine: Convince Jailbirl to opensource it ;-)
2015-10-30 14:15
jailbird

Quote: @Shine: Convince Jailbirl to opensource it ;-)

K, just did that. Grab the latest source from https://github.com/csisztaiarnold/thepixellingcow

However, you won't find too much in it, since I decided to rewrite the whole shit from scratch in Laravel and I've just started with it. The old code was based on an ancient custom build of CodeIgniter, which would be a pain in the ass to work with, so it's ditched altogether.

The data from the old site is exported and pushed to seeders, so in case you'd like to play with it, this is what you need to know:

0. Make sure you're running PHP >= 5.5.9
1. Set up your environment in /.env
2. Change the Application URL in /config/development/app.php to whatever URL/vhost you're using
3. Run a composer dump-autoload for any chance (yep, you'll need composer installed for this)
4. Migrate and populate the database with php artisan migrate:refresh --seed (since there's a lot of data, you might run into a memory error; in that case, increase PHP's memory_limit in php.ini - 1024M should be enough)
5. There is a test method are two three test methods (ReleaseController@index, ReleaseController@show and CommonController@index) which could be invoked with the /releases/list, the /releases/show/{id} and the / routes

I'll make an archive of all the images soon. Questions, ideas or fuckings are as always, more than welcome!
2015-10-30 20:41
Digger

That's so sick Jailbird! :) I was actually thinking of what was happening with the Pixelling Cow? I will have a look at it over the weekend.
2015-10-31 16:09
CreaMD

I'm confused, it redirects me to dfltweb1.onamae.com did I accidentaly messed my windows so I get weird redirects?
2015-11-02 11:58
jailbird

The old domain is not working any more. The site is still online on http://previews.idevele.com/tpc (user/pass: admin/admin), but as I said, I'm rewriting it.
2015-11-02 12:04
Shine

Quoting Jailbird
... but as I said, I'm rewriting it.

WOW ... what a nice "surprise" !!! Please don't give up! ;)
2015-11-02 18:16
CreaMD

Poopbird... lovely! I remember I saw it once. Even better now.
2015-11-03 11:09
jailbird

Uploaded the image files to http://www.filedropper.com/images_12

They should be placed to /public/uploads. The folder names are the IDs of the releases.

Cheers.
2015-11-03 11:50
Joe

Jailbird: Highly appreciated, both the package of different artists work and the page. And if I should go a bit off topic, your own efforts in the scene.
2016-02-27 18:49
jailbird

Yo people! Some news considering The Pixelling Cow v2... As I mentioned it already, I'm rewriting it from a crappy CodeIgniter codebase to Laravel 5.x. I've made a bunch of updates lately, but the new site is still in a raw early phase, so I'm seeking for help!

First of all, if there's anyone who could help me out with design and/or frontend development, that would be highly appreciated! Although I'm a full stack developer, at the moment I don't have the time and energy to do both back- and frontend. So basically, I'd need someone who's fluent with Bootstrap, HTML5/CSS3 and gets the Blade template engine more or less (latter is not so important as I'm prepping the templates myself).

Secondly, if you feel you could contribute to the application layer, feel free to grab the source from the repository and take a look at it:

https://github.com/csisztaiarnold/thepixellingcow

The current condition of the new version online:

http://tpc.snappyseed.eu/

The old site (my main goal is to recreate this state, and to add new features later):

http://previews.idevele.com/tpc/

Thanks! :)
Previous - 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 - Next
RefreshSubscribe to this thread:

You need to be logged in to post in the forum.

Search the forum:
Search   for   in  
All times are CET.
Search CSDb
Advanced
Users Online
Alakran_64
celticdesign/G★P/M..
Guests online: 142
Top Demos
1 Next Level  (9.8)
2 Mojo  (9.7)