Log inRegister an accountBrowse CSDbHelp & documentationFacts & StatisticsThe forumsAvailable RSS-feeds on CSDbSupport CSDb Commodore 64 Scene Database
 Welcome to our latest new user Copperhead ! (Registered 2024-05-08) You are not logged in - nap
CSDb User Forums

Forums > CSDb Discussions > The Pixelling Cow - Beta
2014-03-21 20:56
jailbird

The Pixelling Cow - Beta

In the last two weeks I was working on a personal web project in my free time. Hope some of you will find it interesting and/or useful. This is the first stable release, so expect a lot of changes/additions in the near future. I'll keep you updated.

--

ThePixellingCow is currently the most comprehensive database of Commodore 64 scene-related pixel-art.

At the moment, it hosts 6201 images, 1497 artists and 475 events.

It is basically a periodically refreshed mirror of CSDb's graphics related content, but with an accessible and clean UI more suitable for graphics-related content. So, for those who are interested in specific graphics-releases: now you could find them faster and easier.

It's still far from finished. Consider it's present state as a beta testing terrain.

TPC needs help!

At the moment, only one person is doing all the work, so any kind of support would be highly appreciated! Especially in the following areas:

- general functionality testing
- flagging/removing duplicates (there's a lot of them, as parsing CSDb wasn't always going smoothly)
- correcting data (same as above)
- adding missing artists, releases and events
- tagging (the collected data could and will be cross-shared with CSDb later, if it ever introduces the tag functionality)
- ripping graphics from various releases
- suggestions, ideas always more than welcome!

... 60 posts hidden. Click here to view all posts....

2014-03-24 02:52
jailbird

Quote: btw, what i personally would love to see on such sites: links to original reference pictures, and also workstages (i find the process of creating often more interesting than the actual result)

Both occurred to me either (had such areas on my very very old personal site) and think of them as interesting features. Will keep in mind.
2014-03-24 07:28
Oswald

very nice site Jailbabe. One hard to do idea: how about displaying the original binaries through a run time tool, so one could pick his own palette, pal filter, contrast, etc.
2014-03-24 19:51
CreaMD

With 16 colors, displaying on canvas with realtime chaning of palette could work too, I suppose.
interesting idea oswald.
roman
2014-03-24 21:03
Flea
Account closed

Quoting Oswald
One hard to do idea: how about displaying the original binaries through a run time tool, so one could pick his own palette, pal filter, contrast, etc

Pallete swap on the fly
Canvas tweaking madness (I guess you can force chosen palette after using it and it would work just fine)

Great project JB! Best of luck and fun ;) with it!
2014-03-24 23:03
jailbird

Added a "TV mode" option (basic scanlines/blurring). You could invoke it by adding /tvmode at the end of URLs at image pages, or with the "Toggle TV mode" link under the image. A few examples:

http://www.thepixellingcow.com/release-1478-catch-my-scent/tvmo..
http://www.thepixellingcow.com/release-8205-anima-et-animus/tvm..
http://www.thepixellingcow.com/release-5319-noseguy/tvmode
http://www.thepixellingcow.com/release-8191-the-scarf/tvmode
http://www.thepixellingcow.com/release-2840-eye-of-the-storm/tv..
http://www.thepixellingcow.com/release-5395-oh-noes-they-be-ste..

Plus, thepixellingcow.com domain is now active, so update your bookmarks ;)
2014-03-25 08:13
Oswald

impressive filter!
2014-03-25 08:28
Oswald

btw, to keep users browsing the site longer, the mainpage could display random pics.

and when you are on a certain picture, the page could display thumbnails from more of the same artist / same year / same party, etc.
2014-03-25 08:32
jailbird

Quote: impressive filter!

Is it? o_O

As the "filter" was just a fast half-assed attempt to have something which more or less resembles a CRT screen. It's based on absolutely positioned transparent CSS layers, so really nothing fancy. But at least it's fast :)

Friggin' Oswald. I'm never sure if you're sarcastic or actually serious :)
2014-03-25 08:34
jailbird

Quote: btw, to keep users browsing the site longer, the mainpage could display random pics.

and when you are on a certain picture, the page could display thumbnails from more of the same artist / same year / same party, etc.

Thought about these as well. A prev/next image link from the same artist or graphics mode would be cool too.
2014-03-25 08:39
Oswald

Quote: Is it? o_O

As the "filter" was just a fast half-assed attempt to have something which more or less resembles a CRT screen. It's based on absolutely positioned transparent CSS layers, so really nothing fancy. But at least it's fast :)

Friggin' Oswald. I'm never sure if you're sarcastic or actually serious :)

nah, I'm serious most of the time :)

impressive because

a) fast change of mode, easy to use
b) black bleeding and most of the pixel blurring looks familiar

you've probably not implemented the PAL color blend amongst lines, but doesnt matter.

I didnt know css is so powerful btw.
Previous - 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 - Next
RefreshSubscribe to this thread:

You need to be logged in to post in the forum.

Search the forum:
Search   for   in  
All times are CET.
Search CSDb
Advanced
Users Online
iceout/Avatar/HF
Mr. SID
Apollyon/ALD
fredrikr
A3/AFL
redcrab/G★P