Log inRegister an accountBrowse CSDbHelp & documentationFacts & StatisticsThe forumsAvailable RSS-feeds on CSDbSupport CSDb Commodore 64 Scene Database
You are not logged in - nap
CSDb User Forums

Forums > CSDb Info > Dedicated server for CSDb -> ads
2006-03-25 21:06
Perff
Administrator

Dedicated server for CSDb -> ads

Ok. I guess the secret is now out. What some of you might have seen was just a little experiment. It is not permanent in any way - yet.

Ok. Here goes: (a long text coming up.)

CSDb have up untill now been hosted for free at the place I used to work - a small hosting company. However the machine CSDb has, and currently is running on, is a test server with no backup or anything, a quite slow internet connection, and a lot of other stuff hosted on it too. Besides that I have personally no control over the machine. If it fails, or the people who owns it desides to throw it out, I can do nothing. :(

For some time now I have wanted a REAL dedicated server for CSDb which was mine to control 100%. This would give a lot of advantages which I will not list here, but I guess you can imagine. :)
I now got an opportunity to get this!
This server will be redundant, backups will be taken and everything. Also the bandwidth will be much higher resulting in much more pleasent feeling surfing on CSDb.
However, this is of course not free. I also feel like I owe the little hosting company something for hosting this site for more than 4 years now.
The bottom line is that we need some money to pay for this, and here I got an idea, which I have seen on other sites like slayradio.org, to put up some discreete ads which will ONLY be displayed for people who are not logged in. This means that all of you who are reading this now, will never see these ads (except if you hit the "log out"). Only random surfers will see these ads, which I will not let dominate the site.
The ads will be text only, and using the same colors as the rest of CSDb.

So far this idea is still in it's early stages, but before I can go all the way, I need to check if this will pay off at all, so in the near future I will put the add's online for a few days up to a week, to get an idea of how much it would bring in. Remeber that if you are logged in there will be NO ads! After that I will take the next step.
You are welcome to check the ads out, and give your oppinion about them, and perhaps come up with some ideas.
I will point out that these ads it not a way for me to try to earn a lot of $. It is only ment to pay for the hosting. If it should turn out that it would bring in a lot more than needed, we will think of a good way to spend the rest of it. :) But that will be sometime into the future.

So, any comments?

PS. It is true that people have been offering free hosting to me for CSDb, but I must admit, that I would prefer to have it under my control still. ;) Hope I don't offend anyone by saying this.

... 20 posts hidden. Click here to view all posts....

2006-03-26 12:19
TDJ

Quote: Locking this topic would be a nice idea now when everything was announced and now it's moving a bit offtopic. There can alwasy be other topic for this when it's actual.

roman

Why? Why lock this topic? It's not like people are ragging on eachother, just a nice discussion about google-ads and possible other solutions to Perff's problem.
2006-03-26 13:52
Jon
Account closed

Quote: I dont really understand why nobody made an offer to host csdb on a faster server... I mean, theres gotta be plenty ppl here that can offer that.

but alas, if performance will be improved, we'll just have to live with the ads.

or hey, do like I do, host at home ;)

Read above; he said that people have offered, but he wants the server to be under his complete control (including physical possession of the server itself).

-Ninj
2006-03-26 14:17
Dishy

I´ve now been at CSDb since March 2002, and I really appreciate this site very much. Not only because of all the neat warez in here, but also because I´ve met old - and even new - sceners in here, which I thought I would never get in contact with again.

Anyway, I´d like both google-ads and a good donation-system in here. I´ve donated at other sites(not only C64 sites), which I like. And I really hope, that CSDb will be online for many many years, so if I can also support it this way, I would do it.

*****Once A Scener - Always A Scener*****
2006-03-26 14:45
SIDWAVE
Account closed

Give it a try Perff!

I think it's critical to get some backups running, it would
be a catastrophe to loose CSDB.
2006-03-26 14:52
Perff
Administrator

First ad test started. This is a kind of minimal-ad test, where the ads will be as discrete as possible.
I will probably make further tests with a bit more ads to see if there is any big difference.
Please don't log out and click on them like crasy - I would like to get a realistic test result. :)
2006-03-26 16:14
Steppe

Go for it Perff! I suggest a Paypal donation system on top of it, I for one wouldn't mind transferring the odd ebay sale profit that got payed to my Paypal account over to yours. :-)
And if it helps I also wouldn't mind banners in the registered user area. You could also make that customizable from the userpage settings.
2006-03-26 16:30
CreaMD

Quote: Why? Why lock this topic? It's not like people are ragging on eachother, just a nice discussion about google-ads and possible other solutions to Perff's problem.

Because it was getting offtopic (debate about how it works etc.)
2006-03-26 19:29
Burglar

Quote: Because it was getting offtopic (debate about how it works etc.)

you mean you're just triggerhappy, cause thats not offtopic.

and ninjasbane, reread what I wrote, completely, its not that hard.
2006-03-26 19:39
Jon
Account closed

Quote: you mean you're just triggerhappy, cause thats not offtopic.

and ninjasbane, reread what I wrote, completely, its not that hard.

Oh, I see it now. Host it at home.

That stuff in the beginning about you being surprised that no one offered to host it was because you read Perff's post carefully and thouroghly. I understand completely now. And here I could have drifted through life thinking that you didn't understand Perff's message.

As you said, it's not that hard.

-Ninj

2006-03-26 22:17
yago

I have good Experiences with google (although its true that some nasty visitors will make google cancel the contract).

Other possibilities of income would be to sell CSDb on a CD, so that People can have an Offline-CSDb (even (cause of copyright-reasons) without the wares) or sell T-Shirts.

IMHO, thats not as stable as google but more stable then Donations.
Previous - 1 | 2 | 3 - Next
RefreshSubscribe to this thread:

You need to be logged in to post in the forum.

Search the forum:
Search   for   in  
All times are CET.
Search CSDb
Advanced
Users Online
Exile/Anubis
csabanw
Guests online: 134
Top Demos
1 Next Level  (9.8)
2 Mojo  (9.7)