Log inRegister an accountBrowse CSDbHelp & documentationFacts & StatisticsThe forumsAvailable RSS-feeds on CSDbSupport CSDb Commodore 64 Scene Database
You are not logged in - nap
CSDb User Forums

Forums > CSDb Discussions > In the Dutch news: Fairlight busted
2004-04-22 13:04
Lord Crucifier

In the Dutch news: Fairlight busted

The following is part of a story about the police busting Dutch dorms on the hunt for illegal software:

"Op internet gaan geruchten dat de computerkrakersbende Fairlight is opgerold. De leden houden zich sinds 1986 bezig met het inbreken in computers, later hebben ze zich toegelegd op de verspreiding van illegale software, zoals computerspelletjes.

Op de universiteit van Twente zouden arrestaties zijn verricht. Op internetadressen die zijn gelieerd aan de universiteit circuleren foto's van de inbeslagname van systeemkasten bij een studentencomplex op de campus.

Een Duits hobbymagazine schrijft dat Fairlight spoedige publicatie van het nieuwe schietspel Hitman 3 heeft aangekondigd. Het actiespel voor zowel de PC, XboX als Playstation verschijnt officieel op 30 april en kost in de winkel 60 euro. "Als de berichten kloppen is de illegale verspreiding van computerspellen een zware slag toegebracht", aldus de redactie van Game Vision."

Basically it says an old hacker group called Fairlight has been caught for cracking and spreading illegal software. It mentions they started hacking in 1986 and went on to cracking software later on.

I'm not very known with todays PC/console w4r3z-scene, but this is not OUR Fairlight, now is it??

... 59 posts hidden. Click here to view all posts....

2004-04-23 18:35
TDJ

Quote: Yep, Slator and Count Zero, that´s so true.. hehe or even more stange if the FBI starts hunting all old ex. Fairlightérs ;-) I supplied them with some hot originals during the years. Guess I should go hide all my old FLT cracks/stuff then *LOL*

Dishy - keep the c64 alive - Dishy

I for one am very happy that I didn't join Fairlight when Duke asked me a few years ago: it could have resulted in me being busted as well, and how the hell am I going to explain all those comics scans on my harddisk? :)
2004-04-23 20:32
macx

now it reached swedish news aswell. they mention, amongst other groups, fairlight. and i agree with CZ; just cause these ppl are not the ones active on the c64-scene it is still the same group with a common history (Strider from Malmö). it is not a taken name, a ripoff. it is still the ones that kills a commy for their mommy, although i'm not sure if that slogan is used by non-c64-fairlighters.

http://www.aftonbladet.se/vss/nyheter/story/0,2789,467674,00.ht..
(in swedish)
2004-04-23 22:19
goldfish
Account closed

Look here

Fuckin' police going around arresting pirates on behalf of the mafia software industry, that does concern us all, be it only for historical reasons.

You would have thought the industry'd have got it by now, i.e. selling games at lower prices so nobody would bother pirating it.

the opposite is true: 60+ euros or USD for one game!

Same goes for music records.

I thus remain totally unemphatic to the industry's whining.

Moreover, my old pirate's heart beats vehemently when I read these reports about Fairlight and others on the PC-scene being busted.

It looks about time to reinstall the ancient dutch group FAC - Federation Against Copyright, just for the name of it.

I just say one thing to the Business Software Alliance and other godforsaken l00sers of that kind: taunt us, and we'll put on the effort to make you relive times you aren't even aware of.

Times when software was pirated and made widely available the very same day it was shipped to the stores, or preferably earlier.

It's easy for law enforcement to fight mundane powers, but there's alot more between heaven and earth.

Do remember the haunting dragon, the fierce steed of the Founder King, the ever so long awaited...

We announced his return. We just might be willing to speed it up.

Goldfish [L]

2004-04-23 22:37
goldfish
Account closed

Quote: I for one am very happy that I didn't join Fairlight when Duke asked me a few years ago: it could have resulted in me being busted as well, and how the hell am I going to explain all those comics scans on my harddisk? :)

Judge

Your comment ("I for one am very happy that I didn't join Fairlight when Duke asked me a few years ago: it could have resulted in me being busted as well") is not worthy of the scene.

Neither is it to the inspiration to you handle (Joe Dredd doesn't budge in the face of adversity).

I know for sure you repent already.

When the drums of war resound, your resolve will be an exemplar to the faithful.

GDF
2004-04-23 23:46
TDJ

Quote: Judge

Your comment ("I for one am very happy that I didn't join Fairlight when Duke asked me a few years ago: it could have resulted in me being busted as well") is not worthy of the scene.

Neither is it to the inspiration to you handle (Joe Dredd doesn't budge in the face of adversity).

I know for sure you repent already.

When the drums of war resound, your resolve will be an exemplar to the faithful.

GDF

Sorry. I will leave the scene now.

Either that, or I'll take your post as seriously as mine was meant: not at all.

Oh, and Goldfish: please don't be like some other ex-bbs guys and try acting all elitist here, ragging without reason .. this is not the place :)
2004-04-23 23:52
blackdroid
Account closed

wtf where is my wizard hat.
2004-04-24 08:44
Radar
Account closed

@Dark Judge:
You didn't realy think about my handle, did you?

Honestly, Goldfish wasn't ragging but far away from it. Maybe it's quite good for you and others to see another brick of the oldskool-scene posting in order to understand what it all was about at our time.
2004-04-24 09:54
Crossfire
Account closed

On the other hand ragging has always been infantile, so let's keep this adult and what we're here for: have a good time.

And if they hunt down old members, guess I better run and hide now *LOL*
2004-04-24 15:47
TDJ

Quote: @Dark Judge:
You didn't realy think about my handle, did you?

Honestly, Goldfish wasn't ragging but far away from it. Maybe it's quite good for you and others to see another brick of the oldskool-scene posting in order to understand what it all was about at our time.

@Radar, I wasn't thinking about anybody in particular, although you do meet the requirements, let's leave it at that.

I know Goldfish wasn't ragging per see, but his writing style (using those o.t.t. sentences) is a sign of things to come.

And please stop that 'at our time' bullshit, I've been around for as long as you have, only I didn't leave, that's the difference. Doesn't make me better than you but it certainly doesn't make me worse either.

2004-04-24 15:50
TDJ

Quote: On the other hand ragging has always been infantile, so let's keep this adult and what we're here for: have a good time.

And if they hunt down old members, guess I better run and hide now *LOL*

That's exactly what I mean. The fact that 'ragging' was a big part of the bbs scene all those years ago doesn't mean that it should be brought back. Not even to teach 'those newbies what it's all about'. It's 2004, let it go.
Previous - 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 - Next
RefreshSubscribe to this thread:

You need to be logged in to post in the forum.

Search the forum:
Search   for   in  
All times are CET.
Search CSDb
Advanced
Users Online
Mason/Unicess
iAN CooG/HVSC
cobbpg
Thunder.Bird/HF/MYD!..
Dymo/G★P
CA$H/TRiAD