Log inRegister an accountBrowse CSDbHelp & documentationFacts & StatisticsThe forumsAvailable RSS-feeds on CSDbSupport CSDb Commodore 64 Scene Database
You are not logged in - nap
CSDb User Forums

Forums > CSDb Discussions > Is gfx ripping lame?
2003-08-07 19:44
Cruzer

Is gfx ripping lame?

Just wondering about what ppl would think about this. Say I took a logo from an old demo by some oldskool group like Upfront or Horizon, and changed it to "Camelot" and used it in a CML-demo. Would that be considered lame, even if I clearly stated where it was ripped from and who was the original artist?
2003-08-07 19:54
blackdroid
Account closed

Personally I wouldnt care about the lame/not lame factor, but you wouldnt get extra ninja points for new and cool graphics from me though :)
2003-08-07 21:22
MacGyver
Account closed

Cruzer, personally I could live with it, but I guess you will be able to find people painting a new exclusive CaMeLot logo ;-) (e.g. if you would ask here).
2003-08-07 23:04
Slator

hm, cruzer is the man for troubles in here, better go coding again instead of having strange danish ideas :-D

make some tower power and no more silly thinking.

and yes, it might be lame to rip gfx, even if some fli-elite-font was used "some" times. That is ok, but isnt it possible for some camelot fella to gain some gfx, the groupies still suck for code I guess...
2003-08-08 00:53
Derision

I don't think there's really any excuse to rip graphics from anything... and the reason is, because it is going to be altered.

If you rip music (a relatively common practice), the music stays the same. You're taking some random tune and sticking it in your demo and you can credit the musician for creating that. If you take a logo from some production or another, and then you alter it to say or be something else, then who's work is it? It'd be like me making slight alterations to the Turbo Outrun song and then putting it in my demo. I didn't write the thing, and Jeroen Tel didn't write the thing either, because it's not the original.

If you want to copy a style, then that's one thing. If the artist changes his own work, then that's okay. But ripping and then changing someone else's work seems wrong to me, somehow.

Besides, there are plenty of graphicians in the scene who are generally more than happy to draw something for whoever asks.
2003-08-08 01:05
jailbird

http://www.cupid.de/logo-o-matic/logocreator.php
;)
2003-08-08 01:07
jailbird

oh, mommy ate my words.
here's the url to you again, hope it will work this time

www.cupid.de/logo-o-matic/logocreator.php?logoname=camelot&font=ollie
2003-08-08 07:49
Slator

Quote: oh, mommy ate my words.
here's the url to you again, hope it will work this time

www.cupid.de/logo-o-matic/logocreator.php?logoname=camelot&font=ollie

haha, that is a good one Arnold :D nearly forgot about it
:-D

@cruzer: don't forget to give credits :-D
2003-08-08 07:50
Slator

Quote: I don't think there's really any excuse to rip graphics from anything... and the reason is, because it is going to be altered.

If you rip music (a relatively common practice), the music stays the same. You're taking some random tune and sticking it in your demo and you can credit the musician for creating that. If you take a logo from some production or another, and then you alter it to say or be something else, then who's work is it? It'd be like me making slight alterations to the Turbo Outrun song and then putting it in my demo. I didn't write the thing, and Jeroen Tel didn't write the thing either, because it's not the original.

If you want to copy a style, then that's one thing. If the artist changes his own work, then that's okay. But ripping and then changing someone else's work seems wrong to me, somehow.

Besides, there are plenty of graphicians in the scene who are generally more than happy to draw something for whoever asks.

That are really goog thoughts, I just can say that I totally agree with this opinion.

2003-08-08 11:52
Stryyker

Plenty of gfxers that will make logos etc.? Maybe there should be some register of these people. I remember it took 2 years before I got a logo made for me, and that dude only just come back. I've asked around plenty of places. Most seem not interested or busy.
2003-08-08 12:02
T.M.R
Account closed

S'funny, don't remember you asking me...? =-)

... 1 post hidden. Click here to view all posts....

Previous - 1 | 2 - Next
RefreshSubscribe to this thread:

You need to be logged in to post in the forum.

Search the forum:
Search   for   in  
All times are CET.
Search CSDb
Advanced
Users Online
aegis/ascraeus/r3turn
Alakran_64
curtcool
Mason/Unicess
kbs/Pht/Lxt
Scan/House Designs