Log inRegister an accountBrowse CSDbHelp & documentationFacts & StatisticsThe forumsAvailable RSS-feeds on CSDbSupport CSDb Commodore 64 Scene Database
You are not logged in - nap
CSDb User Forums

Forums > C64 Composing > Chris Hülsbeck Orchestral concert live on german radio!
2008-08-23 09:05
Xenox

Chris Hülsbeck Orchestral concert live on german radio!

Hi people,

today evening at 8PM, ther german Radio station will bring us the Chris Hülsbeck live concert from the Games Convention in Leipzig, you can still reach the station online, here are some links...

http://www.symphonicshades.com/
http://www.wdr.de/wdrlive/radio.phtml?channel=wdr4

Frank

... 38 posts hidden. Click here to view all posts....

2008-08-29 21:00
dalezy

now that we're up to shredding his work to pieces, i'd like to add that i never really liked the way his tunes sounded instrument-wise. but come on, he fucking pulled a bunch of great tunes out, it's unbelievable. i'm just mentioning madness, grand monster slam and of course giana sisters there (where i'm still wondering if that one was there before the deinhard-theme or not =).

i'm probably being too easy on his works, but i'd say he's far ahead of quite a lot of the people that ever did c64-music, or even game-music on that matter.
2008-08-29 21:35
Burglar

not to mention the Katakis (Denaris for the bratwurster) soundtrack.
2008-08-29 23:54
Laxity

I should probably plow through his tunes and refine my view if required. :)
2008-08-30 08:01
Xenox

I still remember a lot of good tunes from him like Katakis, Danger Freak, To be on Top, Giana Sisters, Bad Cat, Turrican etc.

But, there are lotsa more musicans who were awesome on the c64 like JT, his music is and was fantastic on the c64...

Groepaz:

Is there a way to listen to his musyx music on nintendo or is this only an editor for making music on the console? I own no single console...

Frank
2008-08-30 10:16
The Human Code Machine

His C64 music wasn't as good as his amiga tunes, but I still love some of his digi-tunes. His TFMX-Editor on Amiga was a great piece of software and I think his 7 voice player was one of the first on amiga. Turrican 2 Title ist still a great tune.
2008-08-30 19:50
Oswald

Quote: I'm not denying that his Soundmonitor was a milestone in sid music history. But that sum's it about up.

He was a averagely good musician on the C64, compared to his fellow composers in his time.
As Laxity said, he's tunes were - except for a handful - rather dull and nothing out of the ordinary.

I Liked the Monkey Island tune on the Amiga. But that wasn't composed by himself so that one doesn't count.

And by golly, did I hate his drum and snare instruments.

bullshit. how many of the hundreds of averagely good musicians of his time are still remembered? how many of their tunes are remixed? think.

2008-08-30 19:56
Oswald

Quote: If someone were to wake me up at night demanding that I'd humm a tune of his, I'd me screwed. That said, i remember the intro of some soundmonitor tune impressed me. I think he's a I decent craftsman, but he takes far too few chances musically, which bores the crap out of me. :)

same applies to me when it comes to you, and I could humm danger freak or hollywood poker pro or starball or giana .. (ok lets cut it here..) straight away :) and I'm not saying this because of your opinion, or because I think you're not as good.

2008-08-31 07:06
Laxity

I wasn't expecting you to be able to remember any of my tunes. After all the level of complexity is high and you're just a coder :)

EDIT: No, kidding aside. This is my oppinion ofcourse, and as such anyone can disagree as they see fit - and even as you do, point the finger right back at me. In the total of all commercial composers, Huelsbeck was never peaking - in my humble oppinion at least. That doesn't meen that he didn't ever make stuff I liked or as is quite obvious, the publick liked. Seems to me to be quite the opposite, or making an event such as the orcestral iterations of his tunes would be rather pointless.
2008-08-31 12:27
DRAX
Account closed

Chris might be overrated nevertheless I like a couple of tunes of his. I like the simplicity of some of his tunes... I miss some experimentation from him though (harmonically)... Giana Sisters is imo opinion one of his best tunes on the c64... He did some better stuff on the Amiga... The Turrican music is really good... Never stuff from him is really lagging something... I still think he has the potential of making something good... I kinda like his Metro Dance (sid)...
2008-08-31 13:27
Stan
Account closed

Quote: I wasn't expecting you to be able to remember any of my tunes. After all the level of complexity is high and you're just a coder :)

EDIT: No, kidding aside. This is my oppinion ofcourse, and as such anyone can disagree as they see fit - and even as you do, point the finger right back at me. In the total of all commercial composers, Huelsbeck was never peaking - in my humble oppinion at least. That doesn't meen that he didn't ever make stuff I liked or as is quite obvious, the publick liked. Seems to me to be quite the opposite, or making an event such as the orcestral iterations of his tunes would be rather pointless.

Same here. I rushed trough his SID tunes the last 10 minutes and yes, SHADES is a classic, Giana Sisters of course, same is valid for To Be On Top or Danger Freak. But not peaking, as you phrase it.

However, as I truely admit, his Turrican II on Amiga is brilliant.
Previous - 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 - Next
RefreshSubscribe to this thread:

You need to be logged in to post in the forum.

Search the forum:
Search   for   in  
All times are CET.
Search CSDb
Advanced
Users Online
A3/AFL
Nordischsound/Hokuto..
Nova
tlr
alwyz/udi
psenough