Log inRegister an accountBrowse CSDbHelp & documentationFacts & StatisticsThe forumsAvailable RSS-feeds on CSDbSupport CSDb Commodore 64 Scene Database
You are not logged in - nap
CSDb User Forums

Forums > CSDb Discussions > In the Dutch news: Fairlight busted
2004-04-22 13:04
Lord Crucifier

In the Dutch news: Fairlight busted

The following is part of a story about the police busting Dutch dorms on the hunt for illegal software:

"Op internet gaan geruchten dat de computerkrakersbende Fairlight is opgerold. De leden houden zich sinds 1986 bezig met het inbreken in computers, later hebben ze zich toegelegd op de verspreiding van illegale software, zoals computerspelletjes.

Op de universiteit van Twente zouden arrestaties zijn verricht. Op internetadressen die zijn gelieerd aan de universiteit circuleren foto's van de inbeslagname van systeemkasten bij een studentencomplex op de campus.

Een Duits hobbymagazine schrijft dat Fairlight spoedige publicatie van het nieuwe schietspel Hitman 3 heeft aangekondigd. Het actiespel voor zowel de PC, XboX als Playstation verschijnt officieel op 30 april en kost in de winkel 60 euro. "Als de berichten kloppen is de illegale verspreiding van computerspellen een zware slag toegebracht", aldus de redactie van Game Vision."

Basically it says an old hacker group called Fairlight has been caught for cracking and spreading illegal software. It mentions they started hacking in 1986 and went on to cracking software later on.

I'm not very known with todays PC/console w4r3z-scene, but this is not OUR Fairlight, now is it??

... 59 posts hidden. Click here to view all posts....

2004-04-25 12:53
Radar
Account closed

Quote: @Radar, I wasn't thinking about anybody in particular, although you do meet the requirements, let's leave it at that.

I know Goldfish wasn't ragging per see, but his writing style (using those o.t.t. sentences) is a sign of things to come.

And please stop that 'at our time' bullshit, I've been around for as long as you have, only I didn't leave, that's the difference. Doesn't make me better than you but it certainly doesn't make me worse either.

Maybe you have been around at the same time when I was active (like from 84 to 93), even when I don't remember your handle concerning any important case, but that still doesn't mean that certain people are worth opening their mouth in regards to lyrics they don't know about and never understood in the past. Pulling others into their personal conflicts, built by misunderstandings of their own, ain't the good way.

That's the point where I actually don't meet any requirements you wrote about - as we both were active at different levels within the scene.

NOW let's leave it at that.
2004-04-26 07:18
Oswald

this was also in the hungarian news, at a university several teachers got busted, and some computers were seized... but it was just a little newsflash.
2004-04-26 11:11
TDJ

Quote: Maybe you have been around at the same time when I was active (like from 84 to 93), even when I don't remember your handle concerning any important case, but that still doesn't mean that certain people are worth opening their mouth in regards to lyrics they don't know about and never understood in the past. Pulling others into their personal conflicts, built by misunderstandings of their own, ain't the good way.

That's the point where I actually don't meet any requirements you wrote about - as we both were active at different levels within the scene.

NOW let's leave it at that.

I actually typed a lengthy response but I know it's only going to generate more misunderstandings and boasting, and it's really not worth wasting my (our) time and energy on.

But please realize this: people don't give a flying fuck about what we did or who we were on the c64, not even here. Well, they do, but only as statistics in the database.

I know 'finding' csdb can give an ex-scener quite a power boost, making him feel he's on top of the world again, 'telling all those newbies what it's really about' but it just doesn't work that way.

2004-04-26 11:39
Dishy

TDJ@: if "people don't give a flying fuck about what we did or who we were on the c64, not even here."

Then how comes, you will only got to the party in Denmark, if some of the old Danish elite sceners would join the party.(Like Trap/Bonzai and Metal/Bonzai, as you wrote.)

I do know what you mean, but actually I would like to see many og the old sceners in here, so I give a "flying fuck", about what they did back then. Actually, I got rather happy, when a PM from Bacchus(concerning old scener Tiger/NATO/Crest) and Goldfish etc. jumped up two days ago. I´m honoured to see, that old and skilled sceners - which I respected very much back then - still care a little about the c64 - even today;-)

Best regards,

Dishy

Dishy - keep the c64 alive - Dishy
2004-04-26 12:00
Sasq

Quote: Look here

Fuckin' police going around arresting pirates on behalf of the mafia software industry, that does concern us all, be it only for historical reasons.

You would have thought the industry'd have got it by now, i.e. selling games at lower prices so nobody would bother pirating it.

the opposite is true: 60+ euros or USD for one game!

Same goes for music records.

I thus remain totally unemphatic to the industry's whining.

Moreover, my old pirate's heart beats vehemently when I read these reports about Fairlight and others on the PC-scene being busted.

It looks about time to reinstall the ancient dutch group FAC - Federation Against Copyright, just for the name of it.

I just say one thing to the Business Software Alliance and other godforsaken l00sers of that kind: taunt us, and we'll put on the effort to make you relive times you aren't even aware of.

Times when software was pirated and made widely available the very same day it was shipped to the stores, or preferably earlier.

It's easy for law enforcement to fight mundane powers, but there's alot more between heaven and earth.

Do remember the haunting dragon, the fierce steed of the Founder King, the ever so long awaited...

We announced his return. We just might be willing to speed it up.

Goldfish [L]

Relive what times? Games are pirated the same way as ever - at the very latest when they hit retailers, often from reviewers or even directly from the publisher or development Studio. And game prices hasn't gone up as much as the cost of making a game. We're talking 2 years development time involving 100+ people.
This is a natural effect of Capitalism. So blame the system and not the effects of it.

2004-04-26 12:23
TDJ

Quote: TDJ@: if "people don't give a flying fuck about what we did or who we were on the c64, not even here."

Then how comes, you will only got to the party in Denmark, if some of the old Danish elite sceners would join the party.(Like Trap/Bonzai and Metal/Bonzai, as you wrote.)

I do know what you mean, but actually I would like to see many og the old sceners in here, so I give a "flying fuck", about what they did back then. Actually, I got rather happy, when a PM from Bacchus(concerning old scener Tiger/NATO/Crest) and Goldfish etc. jumped up two days ago. I´m honoured to see, that old and skilled sceners - which I respected very much back then - still care a little about the c64 - even today;-)

Best regards,

Dishy

Dishy - keep the c64 alive - Dishy

With people I meant ofcourse the 'newbies'. Most of them are not impressed by what 'we' did in the past, we're just dinosaurs to them. Ofcourse it's different for you & me, as those old sceners where part of the same scene we were.

But let's be honest: most ex-sceners don't give that same flying fuck about what the current sceners do or are.

Every party I've been to the last years proves it: there's a huge difference between 'them' and 'us'. In fact, it's almost like 2 different scenes.

I know it's not always like that, there are exceptions to this rule, but it's really arrogant for somebody who has left the c64 behind 10 years ago to come back and expect to be in the same position he once was, which happened quite a few times on csdb already. Just think of the Secret Man fiasco, which could have been prevented if people just would have let go of their ego.
2004-04-26 15:18
Crossfire
Account closed

Uhm, TDJ, I have nothing against you, want to make that absolute clear right now - BUT, to me it sounds as though you're contradicting yourself, but maybe I catch what you're saying wrongfully:

You point out that it is arrogant to come back after ten years thinking you can still act like a holy god, and in this I agree - but as the same time it seems you're quite annoyed to the fact that people doesn't remember you nor care for the things you did back then?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but is that not two sides of the same story?
2004-04-26 15:36
CyberBrain
Administrator

Without saying too much, i can say TDJ is right. SOME of the 'old sceners' arrogant "we know it all, you know nothing"-attitude is ofcause wrong, and will not gain them any respect. (same argument the other way around, but i don't remember having seen any of that)

EDIT: But other than that i think old sceners are cool. I don't want to be misunderstood :)
2004-04-26 17:08
TDJ

Quote: Uhm, TDJ, I have nothing against you, want to make that absolute clear right now - BUT, to me it sounds as though you're contradicting yourself, but maybe I catch what you're saying wrongfully:

You point out that it is arrogant to come back after ten years thinking you can still act like a holy god, and in this I agree - but as the same time it seems you're quite annoyed to the fact that people doesn't remember you nor care for the things you did back then?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but is that not two sides of the same story?

Where does it look like I'm annoyed that people don't remember me? I've got bigger problems in my life than caring if Radar or other people I've never dealt with know who I am. True, I wouldn't like it if somebody I used to swap with wouldn't remember me, but so far that has never been the case.

Also there's a difference between coming back & being dissapointed that people don't remember you and coming back & acting like you're the second coming of Christ.

You know, the true legends are always modest. On TP4 I met Maduplec, who was genuinely surprised I could name all his demos. And Crossbow once told me he didn't consider himself worthy to be in a panel deciding on best demos ever. Quite a difference from proclaiming yourself one of the most famous sceners ever, right?
2004-04-26 17:35
Platoon
Account closed

well im one of the "few" that apparently gives a flying fuck about bouth old sceeners and new sceeners i think its quite incredible what the new sceeners can do and still does with the old toaster, that i didnt dare dream about in the "old dayz".
but i still hope that some old friends from the "old dayz"
some day pop up on the users online list, coz i miss a great # of em and would like to know what became of em...

"old dayz" wasnt just about programming and coolness vs lameness it also had alot to do with freindship so now lets all kiss and make up :)

PEACE !
Previous - 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 - Next
RefreshSubscribe to this thread:

You need to be logged in to post in the forum.

Search the forum:
Search   for   in  
All times are CET.
Search CSDb
Advanced
Users Online
csabanw
grasstust/Hoaxers
Brittle/Dentifrice^(?)
Krill/Plush
Guests online: 93
Top Demos