Log inRegister an accountBrowse CSDbHelp & documentationFacts & StatisticsThe forumsAvailable RSS-feeds on CSDbSupport CSDb Commodore 64 Scene Database
You are not logged in - nap
CSDb User Forums

Forums > CSDb Discussions > In the Dutch news: Fairlight busted
2004-04-22 13:04
Lord Crucifier

In the Dutch news: Fairlight busted

The following is part of a story about the police busting Dutch dorms on the hunt for illegal software:

"Op internet gaan geruchten dat de computerkrakersbende Fairlight is opgerold. De leden houden zich sinds 1986 bezig met het inbreken in computers, later hebben ze zich toegelegd op de verspreiding van illegale software, zoals computerspelletjes.

Op de universiteit van Twente zouden arrestaties zijn verricht. Op internetadressen die zijn gelieerd aan de universiteit circuleren foto's van de inbeslagname van systeemkasten bij een studentencomplex op de campus.

Een Duits hobbymagazine schrijft dat Fairlight spoedige publicatie van het nieuwe schietspel Hitman 3 heeft aangekondigd. Het actiespel voor zowel de PC, XboX als Playstation verschijnt officieel op 30 april en kost in de winkel 60 euro. "Als de berichten kloppen is de illegale verspreiding van computerspellen een zware slag toegebracht", aldus de redactie van Game Vision."

Basically it says an old hacker group called Fairlight has been caught for cracking and spreading illegal software. It mentions they started hacking in 1986 and went on to cracking software later on.

I'm not very known with todays PC/console w4r3z-scene, but this is not OUR Fairlight, now is it??

... 59 posts hidden. Click here to view all posts....

2004-04-26 17:35
Platoon
Account closed

well im one of the "few" that apparently gives a flying fuck about bouth old sceeners and new sceeners i think its quite incredible what the new sceeners can do and still does with the old toaster, that i didnt dare dream about in the "old dayz".
but i still hope that some old friends from the "old dayz"
some day pop up on the users online list, coz i miss a great # of em and would like to know what became of em...

"old dayz" wasnt just about programming and coolness vs lameness it also had alot to do with freindship so now lets all kiss and make up :)

PEACE !
2004-04-26 21:10
Crossfire
Account closed

TDJ - I understood your point and I agree, only wanted to point out the contradiction in itself ;-) Nothing more..

I must say though - being in a cracking group and in a group group is a huge difference when you visit the boards. If you're in a crackergroup fighting over releases you're used to getting flamed every single day, and it does add a bit of paranoia to you *LOL* - where as in the demo scene there isn't the same kind of competition - there is competition, sure, but always cases that are hell of a lot easier to solve than the usual "who was first with this game" disputes on the boards..

Not saying the paranoia is right, but it's there nevertheless..
2004-04-26 21:52
Dishy

Quote: TDJ - I understood your point and I agree, only wanted to point out the contradiction in itself ;-) Nothing more..

I must say though - being in a cracking group and in a group group is a huge difference when you visit the boards. If you're in a crackergroup fighting over releases you're used to getting flamed every single day, and it does add a bit of paranoia to you *LOL* - where as in the demo scene there isn't the same kind of competition - there is competition, sure, but always cases that are hell of a lot easier to solve than the usual "who was first with this game" disputes on the boards..

Not saying the paranoia is right, but it's there nevertheless..

Think Crossfire is right on that one. There is a very huge difference between the legal and the illegal scene. Especially if you compare to the elite crackingscene, where AT&T cards, 1.st-releases and calling to the states is a part of your scene-life. So, like there is a huge difference between the demo VS cracking scene, there is/were also a huge difference between being in an elite crackinggroup and a "normal" crackinggroup. Two different scenes!!! Read the elite mags, and only the elite are mentioned - like there were even no other scenes!

I startede up in the demo-scene in 1990, and I´ve tryed both the demo- and the cracking business. In my opinion the cracking-scene is much more tough and wild, and there´s much more action (and fun:) all the time. Every week/day new originals are to be obtained and provided to the crackers in a hurry, when AT&T-cards are available boards has to be called, cracks always had to be spreaded, phonecalls, phonecalls and yet again phonecalls to be sure everything is OK etc. etc. etc.. I think the competition was more fun in the crackingscene, and I also think wars were much more a part of that scene, than in the demoscene.

Dishy - keep the c64 alive - Dishy
2004-04-26 22:18
goldfish
Account closed

Judge, you obviously feel offended by my rhetorical and admonishing style of writing.

I'll repeat my 2 posts plainly:

"Damn, these fuckin'software companies deserve that everyone put tons of effort in pirating games on PC and every other platform that could hurt'em, and made these pirated copies wildly available to the public at large".

&

"Come on, Judge, don't let these police motha's impress you with their raids".

But of course, that wouldn't have been me.

And I gotto be me.

GDF [L]

2004-04-26 22:40
goldfish
Account closed

Secondly

I shall not be accused of heightening my words because of any merits from the past.

I have always spoken and written in this condescending manner, and justly so.

Don't see why I should change that now.

And finally, Crossfire.

Please forgive my religious correctness but:

How could a Legender ever be rightly accused of pretending to be a god?

Such sacrilege would go against the essence of our endeavour past and present.

GDF [L] (merely in service of divinity)

2004-04-27 07:30
TDJ

@Goldfish, I'm not offended (it takes a lot more than that, believe me), I just hope(d) that your writing style isn't a way of putting down others, pretending you are worth so much more just because you once were in Legend. But if this is your normal style, so be it, I kinda like it :)

Secondly, I don't care about software being cracked: I only bought one original game in my life, and I still feel sorry about it. I download all my Xbox games, movies, music, even comics. Does it look like I'm against pirating? And I'm not impressed by that raid either. My 'glad I did not join Fairlight' statement was a joke. A bad one, I agree, but a joke nonetheless.

@Crossfire: I still think I didn't contradict myself but whatever :) I've never been part of a real cracking group (okay, both WWE & S451 cracked games but I didn't have anything to do with that) but the demoscene also had its fair share of competition and even wars. Not as heavy as the cracking scene, sure, but don't underestimate the power of a simple scrolltext. I myself have been in quite a few 'disagreements', esp. in the early 90's when Focus started making a name for itself and people didn't like our (and esp. my) boasting about it. People even threatened to beat me up at the Silicon summer 1991 party (ofcourse nothing happened). Aah, good times .. :)
2004-04-27 07:32
TDJ

Also, I'd like to make one thing a bit more clear: it's not that I think new sceners don't care about old sceners at all, it's just that they don't care about MOST old sceners. Sure, the real legends will always get respect but it's not a given for just anybody who was around in the late 80's. And it shouldn't be. There were thousands of us for God's sake.

And vice-versa ofcourse: just because somebody is using the c64 nowadays shouldn't automatically get him respect from the ex-sceners. Ofcourse there are a few very talented guys who really have taken this to the next level but most sceners nowadays would have meant zilch back in the late 80's. Take it from somebody who was around then, and is around now :)

Finally one more thing: just because there was a huge competition in the cracking scene 15 years ago doesn't mean that attitude should be expressed here, IMHO.
2004-04-27 08:11
Radar
Account closed

@Dark Judge:
It's quite nice to see you struggling and fighting for your point of view, BUT NewSkoolers DO care about the people from the old times. Either in the way of showing their respect or just in another way where they recognize and keep on coding their demos-wares. I already tried to explain for just a couple of times, that we had a totally other scene which we were part of, but for such a OldSkooler like you (well, you said you were around when I was around)you should know that already.

Secondly, your bragging about Goldfish and his way of conversation truely proves your lack of knowledge about old sceners. Pitty you, that you can't stand it...
2004-04-27 08:27
TDJ

Quote: @Dark Judge:
It's quite nice to see you struggling and fighting for your point of view, BUT NewSkoolers DO care about the people from the old times. Either in the way of showing their respect or just in another way where they recognize and keep on coding their demos-wares. I already tried to explain for just a couple of times, that we had a totally other scene which we were part of, but for such a OldSkooler like you (well, you said you were around when I was around)you should know that already.

Secondly, your bragging about Goldfish and his way of conversation truely proves your lack of knowledge about old sceners. Pitty you, that you can't stand it...

Okay mr. Radar, seeing that you just 'returned' a few months ago and already know how the current scene works, unlike me who has been an active part of it, I guess you *must* be right. The newskoolers desperately need somebody like you to show them "how it should be done". They need somebody like to you berate people, driving them to deleting data on csdb, just because you will not "bow to terrorism". Because that's the way it was done 15 years ago goddamnit!

And by the way, it's too bad that you don't seem to believe I was active all those years ago. If there only was some kind of database where information about my productions was stored which could prove it ..

As for your last sentence: I once again have no clue what you mean. Must be my lack of understanding the English language, right?

Oh, and pity has just one t.
2004-04-27 08:33
Scout

Quote: @Dark Judge:

Oh dear! Oh dear!

Another topic gone haywire due to misinterpretations!
People, please *READ* what TDJ has to tell before you start slagging on him!
And trust me, TDJ has knowledge about old sceners :)

R.
(DAIM!)
Previous - 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 - Next
RefreshSubscribe to this thread:

You need to be logged in to post in the forum.

Search the forum:
Search   for   in  
All times are CET.
Search CSDb
Advanced
Users Online
TheRealWanderer
cba
Mibri/ATL^MSL^PRX
QuasaR/CENTRiC
Guests online: 106
Top Demos