Log inRegister an accountBrowse CSDbHelp & documentationFacts & StatisticsThe forumsAvailable RSS-feeds on CSDbSupport CSDb Commodore 64 Scene Database
 Welcome to our latest new user maak ! (Registered 2024-04-18) You are not logged in - nap
CSDb User Forums

Forums > C64 Productions > A tip for screenshots.
2005-10-13 20:18
Zyron

A tip for screenshots.

If you use VICE to take screenshots turn off the PAL-emulation to get screenshots with more realistic colours.

... 32 posts hidden. Click here to view all posts....

2005-10-16 11:29
BastetFurry

Pff, then someone do dane a favor and build a PCI Card with a VIC on it that works like a TV-Card.
2005-10-16 12:00
Nafcom

Quote: Pff, then someone do dane a favor and build a PCI Card with a VIC on it that works like a TV-Card.

That's already in the making by some NTSC person :)
2006-12-23 12:16
Ed

Personally I think there are numerous ways of converting a C64 image to the pc .gif or .png. The trouble occurs when people break the standards:

Images more concerned in providing an aura for the production:

You Know the Routine 2

Weird compression and formats:

Equal Rights

Different colorscheme and probably not even C64:

Cocillana

There are other examples of the old vs. new vic chips (ie. orange looking brighter than light red, etc...)
Personally I think there is nothing wrong with the built in feature of the Vice? What is wrong with setting up some sort of rules that leave as little artistry outside or perhaps even the other way around. I tried myself to change a couple of screens but with no luck. Should this be a feature only Perff is the only one able to take care of?
2006-12-23 12:47
jailbird

Seriously, I really don't mind how the screenshots look like as most of the time I check out the releases in the emu or on the real thing, if possible. For myself, I try to upload as accurate screendumps (yes) as possible, even leaving options for downloading more versions (e.g. blurred/non blurred).
I'm not the one who wanks the most on wrong screenhots and gets too annoyed if they're non-blurred or way saturated. A screenshots is an option, not a must. Especially not for musicplayers with an empty green screen.
2006-12-23 13:06
Mace

My god, taking a screenshot isn't quite rocketscience!
It is meant to give an impression. If you want to see what it really looks like, download the file and run it on a machine of your likings, be it WinVICE or the real deal.

I take screenshots in WinVICE, with no PAL amulation and default palette, and save it to PNG if it's only one screen.
When I do interlaced, I save the two frames and mix them in Photoshop 50%/50% transparency.
The I choose "save for the web" and reduce the size of the palette as much as possible without loosing colours.

Multiple screens are GIF, but same procedure.
2006-12-23 13:22
Ed

... Funny you mention the green-screen-musicplayer in line with your argument around the optionality of the screendump feature, Jailbird.

With the green screen at least you arrive at something more exotic than just a black (in this case: invisible, non existant, whatever...) screen, but I guess I agree with you on most of the stuff. And returning to your example it would probably be fair to say that there has been too many black screens to waste .gif and .png space here so yeah, perhaps not that bad example only you got the color wrong!

Nevertheless, we live in a bitmap age and I am not so sure text-search always is that convenient. The eyes are still there c. How do you search for a needle in a haystack if you cannot touch, feel, taste or remember it unless you have a look at it ;D

This whole distorted-color-discussion- was something that probably got a new start with emulators and internet but has been the problem of C64 graphics since beginning of time. By now I guess any modern pc-monitor gives you a more standardized look, blurring the intentions of the author and the position of the beholders.

Nevertheless all this became a rocketscience when people tried to standardize the color-sceme already back a couple of years and trying to standardize the proper static look of a interlace picture, etc...

2006-12-25 09:19
Oswald

I have to fix a little bug in ur post ed here..:

"... Funny you mention the green-screen-musicplayer in line with your argument around the optionality of the screendump (yes it's really called like that ;)) feature, Jailbird."

2006-12-25 10:09
jailbird

... Funny you mention the green-screen-musicplayer in line with your argument around the optionality of the screendump feature, Jailbird...

GODDAMN IT!!! I just realised what is this new WD picture all about!

2006-12-25 15:44
Ed

Quote: ... Funny you mention the green-screen-musicplayer in line with your argument around the optionality of the screendump feature, Jailbird...

GODDAMN IT!!! I just realised what is this new WD picture all about!

Sorry dude. The picture is a Post-modern release and its green due to the lack of snow here in Sweden. Try to look at the picture more of something like a tapestry. But it was close enough ;D

----

Now did anyone remember if there ever were problems with the green color? The red and orange colors, next to the gray ones did make some fuzz on the different C64-(vic) models. And clearly by saving a screendump made with Pal emulation there are some differences. But I mean on the real deal now.

The real problem with the thumbnails really lies in the fact that I believe that there are many people that are more active on csdb while at work, and lack the possibility of downloading the stuff. It is hard to judge a picture if it looks interlaced, and equally it is hard to judge interlaced pictures from superb thumbnails. (Electric is an excellent example, but there are other less famous artists on the scene with worse and in this case even better examples!)

The scene has transformed into a buffer reality zone where very little actually is happening on the real machine or even on the emulators these days.

We use tools to overcome even the emulator and this trend is something that will continue with every new graphic program and disc-utility. Face it this is not something new but has been there since day one. The screendump problem is that we want it to look like a “real” c64, because in reality most of us lack it. This type of compensation really speaks more of how we live our lives and the constant need to secure our scene over and over with concepts of standardization, ideas of truth and so forth.

2006-12-25 15:45
Ed

Quote: I have to fix a little bug in ur post ed here..:

"... Funny you mention the green-screen-musicplayer in line with your argument around the optionality of the screendump (yes it's really called like that ;)) feature, Jailbird."

Thanks mate! I almost should have seen that coming ;D
Previous - 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 - Next
RefreshSubscribe to this thread:

You need to be logged in to post in the forum.

Search the forum:
Search   for   in  
All times are CET.
Search CSDb
Advanced
Users Online
Magic/Nah-Kolor
Guests online: 68
Top Demos
1 Next Level  (9.8)
2 Mojo  (9.7)
3 Coma Light 13  (9.7)