Log inRegister an accountBrowse CSDbHelp & documentationFacts & StatisticsThe forumsAvailable RSS-feeds on CSDbSupport CSDb Commodore 64 Scene Database
You are not logged in - nap
CSDb User Forums

Forums > C64 Productions > Balloonacy 2 idiocy
2005-12-05 22:53
Wanderer
Account closed

Balloonacy 2 idiocy

I have to feel so bad for Richard, being brave enough to release his own game without trainers.

Within 24 hours of his releasing a game, there appears a 2 trainer version. An hour or two later a 3 trainer version. The next day there's a 4 trainer version and finally a 6 trainer version.

I'll hold out for the Nostalgia +20 version with hi score saver. *groan*

Richard must feel like Brad Pitt and Angelina Jolie feel when the National Enquirer vultures swoop down upon them. Granted you're open game when you release something but it's pretty laughable to see so many people pounce upon Richard's game like a homeless man chasing a bagel rolling down the street.

Let's clear this up to save time:

MEGA TRAINER
=============
Change $7003 to JMP $2c00

2c00 jsr $70a1
2c03 jsr $ffe4
2c06 cmp #$2a
bne XX
inc $09
XX rts

This plays the music while giving you the key when you hit the star key.
======================

Infinite Lives: EA EA EA (three NOP's) at $394e

==========================

Infinite time: EA EA EA at $3ba1

==========================
Sprite Collision off = RTS at $3a9d

Save $e000-$f000 when you go to save the memory.

We need a starting level option and a button to hold down for temporary sprite collision bypass. I'd laugh but I'm sure in a day this WILL happen. Mark my words.

*sighs* Note to Richard, perhaps in your next game you could include a hidden trainer with every conceivable option. Granted your game was difficult to play but I hate to see it re-released without your intro and directory tree.

PS. All the above was done without looking at any of the versions out there. I became bored :)

... 192 posts hidden. Click here to view all posts....

2005-12-28 03:14
Wanderer
Account closed

Quote: Alih: I agree.

Some people however can do it all themselves, and they do. Which is a nice thing... too bad I can't. I can only draw bad looking early 80's gfx and only play music on my guitar or bass... so :)

It's like making a movie. One person directs, one writes the musical score, some act, some cut the film, others create props.

A programmer may be a jack of all trades (eg. Richard) or master of one and rely on other people. Myself, I cannot compose music and my graphics are self-admittedly awful but I try.
2005-12-28 09:23
Wile Coyote

Crossbow can code and create graphics to a high standard. God help the scene if the guy attempts music ;P
2005-12-28 09:25
Wile Coyote

Mermaid too can do all 3, code, music and graphics. Graphics being the stronger aspect of the 3
2005-12-28 09:41
Zyron

Kjell Nordbo was an amazing 1-person-team, too bad he's no longer with us.
2005-12-28 10:08
Jazzcat

Rest In Peace Kjell!

Yes there is some one-man bands around. HCL is another.

Often these days the boundaries of group-productions are crossed. With musics and graphics and coders from mixed group-backgrounds participating in a single production.

2005-12-28 10:47
A Life in Hell
Account closed

Quote: Alih: I agree.

Some people however can do it all themselves, and they do. Which is a nice thing... too bad I can't. I can only draw bad looking early 80's gfx and only play music on my guitar or bass... so :)

This is true.... and actually, I conceptually love one-man-bands, since you can get a vision within them that is very difficult to achieve with multiple people - after all, no-one knows your artistic vision like yourself.
2005-12-28 16:02
cadaver

Quote: c64 game coders are lazy these days. I kinda get the impression that they do some code, get a sprite moving via joystick and add some collision and do all the graphics themselves and call it a game or sorts. Instead of the game being written around a design, the game gets built around what ever code came about at the time while the coder was messing around in a spare 5 minutes he had. That's my take :)

A design may not do much good on the C64 because it may easily become impossible to realize, or at least impossible to realize at 50Hz :)

Though I agree with you basically, some gamedevelopers could stretch their boundaries of comfortable coding a bit..
2005-12-29 02:50
Fungus

Speaking of game coding, I have noticed that alot of pal made games are not coded very well. All calculations are done in the bottom border, things tend not to be optimized very well, and the coders are still using the kernal irq routines (ea31).
And the worst is when they re-use old code, which wasn't that good to begin with...

Of course, I don't mind this kind of code THAT much becuase it makes it alot easyer to ntsc fix the game.

Just making some observations...

As for one man bands, TMR is a good one too :)
2005-12-29 17:49
T.M.R
Account closed

[Curtsey] ta very much, although i'm not a musician. =-)

Thing about games though, as long as the code is above a certain threshold (preferably as bug free as it can get) it doesn't really matter about how they're done, it's more about if they're fun to play. Cosmetic details can always be bolted in later, a spaceship shooting electric death at another spaceship can easily be a triangle, a circle and a cross respectively and it'll still be fun, adding shiny stuff just makes it easier on the eye.
2005-12-29 19:26
cadaver

If the multiplexer and rastersplits can tolerate it, using $ea31 ints can simplify integration of the loadersystem a lot (think especially IDE64, with its possibility of pseudo-IRQ-loading if you tolerate a possible delay of 1-2 lines)
Previous - 1 | ... | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 - Next
RefreshSubscribe to this thread:

You need to be logged in to post in the forum.

Search the forum:
Search   for   in  
All times are CET.
Search CSDb
Advanced
Users Online
iceout/Avatar/HF
Mr. SID
K-reator/CMS/F4CG
macx
psych
rambo/Therapy/ Resou..